Harbor Freight 2 HP DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight 2 HP DC

Has anybody seen the HF 2 hp dust collector? I'm wondering what size and material the impeller is, and if I'm not pushing my luck what design is is(backward curve). I need a DC set-up now, but hope to be moving soon and the new place WILL have enough room for a bigger/better set-up(read cyclone) The price on this DC is crazy low-- 170 something on sale. I was at the store but couldn't see in past the reducing adaptor and it was screwed on. At that price I'm afraid it may be plastic.

Any opinions welcome.
    Mike
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Harbor Freight 2 HP DC

Mike,
    A couple of concerns.
    The fan outlet is reduced to 4". Why? Most are a minimum 5", often 6" to match the maximum inlet. 2 X 4" inlets give about 24 sq in of surface area exhausting through 12 sq in.
    That will bring your CFM way down. I'll suggest to around 350 CFM. 4" duct can only move so much air based on fan design.

The 2HP 120V 20A motor is going to run hot!

Don

Comment

I don't think that a 2hp dust collector with a 120 volt motor would be that good.

Comment

The name Harbor Freight speaks for itself. An interim disposable dust collector is one thing, but an interim disposable 170 something might be better spent on a long term machine.
        Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

I own the Harbor Freight 2HP DC. I have opened the inlet cover and the impeller is metal - I think steel, but it could be cast (I will open it again this week and post a photo - I just did not focus on its material when it was open). The inlet that comes standard on the current model is 5" with a plastic 5 x 4 x 4 wye screwed to it. There is a metal screen on the inlet, apparently to protect the impeller from hits from large wood chunks, but many remove this if they add a separator before the impeller in the line. There are a lot of posts on US woodworking sites about modifications that can be made to improve this DC, including replacing the inlet cover with a plywood cover that allows for a 6" inlet. Reportedly, this modification (along with the canister filter) increases the static pressure noticably. I will post a thread about my modifications once I get to it, but the LOML had told me that I cannot do any other woodwork until the bed I have been making is finally sanded and finished (disclosure - I bought the wood for the bed in 2005).

There are also many sites that note this DC is one of the better deals available at Harbor Freight, but it is generally agreed that its claim to 2HP and 1550 CFM is "optimistic". Reportedly, the current model draws almost 20Amps at 110V, and it not easily modified to run at 220V (reportedly older models had a smaller impeller and worse filter bags).

There are always coupons for 20% of any single item at Harbor Freight (see, for example, http://www.harborfreightusa.com/wood). I think it works on sale items, but only one coupon per item.

I hope this is helpful.

-Will

Comment

I removed my inlet cover and took the following pix that show the approx. 5" inlet and the 10" steel impeller:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Blower-Impeller-Inlet_Cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	861379

Name:	Inlet_Detail.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	861380

As an example of how to make this DC more efficient (more like the Delta), I have posted the an image from Phil Thien's webiste. There is significantly improved static pressure when the 5" flex hose between the motor and blower and the separator is eliminated by elevating the motor/blower assembly. The original was posted here

Name:	DC_with_Separator.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	861381

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I don't own one but the HF "2hp" DC seems to have a lot of fans....especially when you consider it's humble origins. IIRC, the motor has been tested at closer to a true 1-1/2hp and according to Bill Pentz, the airflow was in the 400-600CFM in it's stock configuration...I also seem to recall that it gets up towards a respectable 800CFM with a cannister filter added....hopefully memories serves correctly!

It may not hang head to head with most of the better true 2hp DCs with larger impellers, but most feel its a good bang for the buck on sale and has adequate performance.

Comment

That is an unusual impeller configuration. With clockwise rotation the blades are back-inclined, forward curved.

Comment

For anyone interested in the Harbor Freight 2HP DC it can be had for $140 with the coupon in the May 2010 issue of Wood (p. 77), expires July 23. I would call and ask them to hold on to one for you before heading to purchase, as they often run out of stock during these coupons.

I have heard differing stories about whether this coupon can be combined with 20% off coupon that is on the same page - on its terms it seems that you can only use one.

Hope this helps someone.

-w

Comment

Working...
                  X