Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing the right CYCLONE dust collector...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choosing the right CYCLONE dust collector...

Tanks all for your advice.
    I am still in a big dilemma about choosing grizzly 2h or oneida V2000...

Grizzly charge me only 139$ for shipping ($1039 US total + canadians taxes + canadian $ conversion)

While Oneida charge me $326.81 ( $1421 US total)+ Brokerage fees (I have to engage a broker) + canadians taxes + canadian $ conversion). At the end, I think I will pay 1000$ more for the oneida...

I hesitate because the Oneida seem to be a better machine (less noisy too) than the Grizzly but I have to keep some money for ducting...
    Not to mention that it's hard to "sell" something expensive like this to my wife...

Is that someone bought Oneida cyclone in canada ?

Oneida give me a canadian distributor name: Welbeck Sawmill in Durham, Ontario, but I never received answer to my e-mails that I sent them...

Comment

Originally posted by AlainMD View Post

Grizzly charge me only 139$ for shipping ($1039 US total + canadians taxes + canadian $ conversion)

While Oneida charge me $326.81 ( $1421 US total)+ Brokerage fees (I have to engage a broker) + canadians taxes + canadian $ conversion). At the end, I think I will pay 1000$ more for the oneida...

I hesitate because the Oneida seem to be a better machine (less noisy too) than the Grizzly but I have to keep some money for ducting...
      Not to mention that it's hard to "sell" something expensive like this to my wife...

Oneida give me a canadian distributor name: Welbeck Sawmill in Durham, Ontario, but I never received answer to my e-mails that I sent them...

Based on magazine reviews, Oneida and Grizzly are very close in terms of performance and grizzly is the better "value". I don't think Oneida's V series is as efficient as their gorilla series. In fact, I suspect they are worse than their grizzly counterparts. The 2HP Grizzly is comparable to the 2HP Oneida gorilla series. If I were to choose between the two you have (Grizzly vs. V2000), I'd definitely pick Grizzly.

BTW, some of the advertising practices of Oneida is (to say the least) unethical and in misleading. So I look at their claims with a bit of skepticism.

I don't know where you are located but if you are in SW Ontario, there is one 3HP gorilla series in Rochester NY which seems to be a good deal:
      http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/1899845432.html

Comment

Easiest to phone Welbecks', they're not the fastest for returning email.
        Felder was also carrying Oneida a while ago, not sure if they still are?

(The one in Mreza's link would be OK if you could fit it in and don't mind the drive?)
        Last edited by Douglas Fur; 08-15-2010, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Fur View Post
          Easiest to phone Welbecks', they're not the fastest for returning email.
          Yes, but I dont speak english... I am able to read and write (a little bit) but I dont speak... Normally I am ok with e-mail and fax...

Comment

Yes, but I dont speak english... I am able to read and write (a little bit) but I dont speak... Normally I am ok with e-mail and fax...
            Alain, if you PM me your e-mail I'll contact Wellbeck for you and get them to quote you.

I'm a frequent customer of theirs..........Regards, Rod.
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Based on magazine reviews, Oneida and Grizzly are very close in terms of performance and grizzly is the better "value".
              Yes, but I am afraid about some bad customer reviews about grizzly like:
              Amazon customer reviews

Alain, if you PM me your e-mail I'll contact Wellbeck for you and get them to quote you.
              Thanks ! I sent you a PM...

Comment

I've been cyclone shopping a little myself lately and it seems hard to beat the Grizzly deal right now (looking at the G0440, 2HP). While I like the idea of a V3000 (quieter (maybe), short, ready to use), Oneida's shipping is outrageous. They've also been verrrrry slow to respond to email where Grizzly has been right on the ball and keen to make a sale.

Cheers,
                Kerry

Comment

Not sure if you have seen the following close-out ones that Grizzly has. They seem to be shop-fox and look very similar (if not identical) to their Grizzly brand but the price is even lower:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Clearance/3

Comment

Originally posted by mreza View Post
                    Not sure if you have seen the following close-out ones that Grizzly has. They seem to be shop-fox and look very similar (if not identical) to their Grizzly brand but the price is even lower:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Clearance/3
                    I hadn't seen those. Looks like the main savings is that the ShopFox ones come with a stand where Grizzly doesn't include one (although I think I want to wall mount anyway). They sure do have very similar specs.

Kerry

Comment

Be careful with those specs. They list their Max CFM at a low low SP. What you want to see is what the fan can deliver at a working SP.
                      My Clear Vue CV-1800 has a detailed performance curve and table. The unit gives 1442 CFM @ 4.19" SP. This falls to 578 CFM @ 12.89" SP. The sweet spot is 800 CFM @ ~11.5" SP.
                      Grizzly publish pretty good curves for their branded machines, but you may have to dig for the same info on the Shop Fox units.
                      The unknown is how well the actual cyclone is engineered to deliver the most efficient fine dust separation at the rated flows.

Don

Comment

I bought a Oneida V3000 and finally got it assembled this weekend. I haven't powered it up since I don't have 220V in my shop yet. I did some research and honestly, even though I was trained as a scientist, my head was spinning. I ended describing my shop to the Oneida rep and decided to trust her recommendations.

I'm surprised at the post that indicated difficulty in getting Oneida to respond. They have been very, very responsive to almost every request I've made to them. I did end up having the unit shipped to Buffalo and picked it up there. I figured I saved several hundred dollars that way, although the savings would be lost once you counted my driving time to Buffalo, I didn't need to worry about having to arrange to be at my cottage when the courier decided to get there. Their shipping within the US is very reasonable, so depending on where in Quebec the OP is, it might be worth it to have it shipped to a US holding service and pick it up there.

At first I wanted to buy from Oneida partly because they were offering a lot of incentives (free HEPA upgrade, they offered me a free simple duct-design service, extra remotes for around $5 IIRC, plus a free Festool-compatible Ultimate Dust Deputy; the latter two incentives are NOT listed anymore so not sure if they are still available). Once I started talking to them, though, I felt like I *had* to buy from them, as they had invested so much time with me and were that nice.

If their "Smart Collector" had been available when I ordered mine, I *might* have sprung for that instead. I like the idea of a smaller, semi-mobile unit, and it has some sort of flame-suppressing feature plus an overfill sensor.
                        "I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen"

Comment

Originally posted by NuggyBuggy View Post
                          I bought a Oneida V3000 and finally got it assembled this weekend. I haven't powered it up since I don't have 220V in my shop yet. I did some research and honestly, even though I was trained as a scientist, my head was spinning. I ended describing my shop to the Oneida rep and decided to trust her recommendations.

I'm surprised at the post that indicated difficulty in getting Oneida to respond. They have been very, very responsive to almost every request I've made to them. I did end up having the unit shipped to Buffalo and picked it up there. I figured I saved several hundred dollars that way, although the savings would be lost once you counted my driving time to Buffalo, I didn't need to worry about having to arrange to be at my cottage when the courier decided to get there. Their shipping within the US is very reasonable, so depending on where in Quebec the OP is, it might be worth it to have it shipped to a US holding service and pick it up there.

At first I wanted to buy from Oneida partly because they were offering a lot of incentives (free HEPA upgrade, they offered me a free simple duct-design service, extra remotes for around $5 IIRC, plus a free Festool-compatible Ultimate Dust Deputy; the latter two incentives are NOT listed anymore so not sure if they are still available). Once I started talking to them, though, I felt like I *had* to buy from them, as they had invested so much time with me and were that nice.

If their "Smart Collector" had been available when I ordered mine, I *might* have sprung for that instead. I like the idea of a smaller, semi-mobile unit, and it has some sort of flame-suppressing feature plus an overfill sensor.
                          They threw in an Ultimate Dust Deputy? Geez, as of yesterday all they were offering me was $100 off. Not a bad thing, but doesn't really soften the $495 delivery fee much. I'd like to know why can Grizzly ship theirs for $149? Is it just that they have the option to ship from several locations? I'll be very interested in hearing your impression of noise and performance once you get it fired up and connected. I'm not too pleased to hear about your installation experiences in the other thread. I really didn't want to buy a project .

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry in Fort Sask, AB View Post
                            They threw in an Ultimate Dust Deputy? Geez, as of yesterday all they were offering me was $100 off. Not a bad thing, but doesn't really soften the $495 delivery fee much. I'd like to know why can Grizzly ship theirs for $149? Is it just that they have the option to ship from several locations? I'll be very interested in hearing your impression of noise and performance once you get it fired up and connected. I'm not too pleased to hear about your installation experiences in the other thread. I really didn't want to buy a project .
                            Kerry,

It was a special promotion they had - get a free UDD with cyclones 2HP+ and up. They also had a promotion where you got (IIRC) a free 2nd remote, and extra remotes were really cheap - I bought about 7 total ;). Also they were offering free HEPA upgrades but it looks like that's standard now.

As for how difficult the "project" was, to be fair, I got it together with my brother (parts of the install really need two people) in an hour or two. If we could get it going, I'd bet everyone else here could get it done - faster and better . It was just weird.
                            "I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen"

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry in Fort Sask, AB View Post
                              I'm not too pleased to hear about your installation experiences in the other thread. I really didn't want to buy a project .
                              Kerry,
                              I do not think any of the larger cyclones are going to be turn key out of the box. Oneida and JDS have portable cyclones but the price is high and you would have to study the performance curves etc. Oneida are all over the place with this info these days. Performance data is not presented consistently across their models so making comparisons is difficult.
                              Getting the cyclone in place is one job. Getting the pipe in places is it's own project. 6" SCH 40 PVC is a totally different cat from 4" flex.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Don Burch View Post
                                Kerry,
                                I do not think any of the larger cyclones are going to be turn key out of the box. Oneida and JDS have portable cyclones but the price is high and you would have to study the performance curves etc. Oneida are all over the place with this info these days. Performance data is not presented consistently across their models so making comparisons is difficult.
                                Getting the cyclone in place is one job. Getting the pipe in places is it's own project. 6" SCH 40 PVC is a totally different cat from 4" flex.

Don
                                Hi Don,

I realize the ducting is going to be a project in itself, and one I'll be glad to have behind me. Thankfully with my tiny shop, there won't be much. I do want the machine itself to be as turn-key as possible, which is one of the advertised features of Oneida's V-series. I looked at the fan curves for some portables a while back (I think someone posted the link here) and it seemed to me they were, understandably, inferior to a fixed unit. I could be wrong, but that's what I took to be the case when I looked several months back. Add on the price penalty and a fixed machine looks even better, especially since I will never have a need to move it (small shop).

Cheers,
                                Kerry

Comment

Working...
                                X