Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baffle Separator for 2 & 3 HP DC's (Busy Bee)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffle Separator for 2 & 3 HP DC's (Busy Bee)

Hi folks...

I recently saw a little video on the baffle separator that bolts to the inside of the BB dust collectors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Baffle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	962143

I'm guessing it acts the same or similar as a Thein separator.

Thoughts?

Don
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Baffle Separator for 2 & 3 HP DC's (Busy Bee)

I don't think it would be as efficient as a Thien separator, but I think that you're right. It's supposed to do the same job. I made a Thien for my very old 2hp craftex and it made a world of different to the amount of dust hitting the filter that I put on in place of the upper bag.
    Grant Wilkinson
    Ottawa ON

Comment

Hadn't seen this product , BB's take on the Vortex Cone/Thien I guess , I put a thien baffle in my 2hp Canister Collector made out of ply and a few screws, works well as gwilki said.

M.

Comment

Hi. I just recently purchased the Craftex cx400 and the baffle from BB tools. I have the dust collector partially assembled but the instructions for the baffle are less than stellar....just 2 drawings....I am going to call BB and see if I can get some support/info to install the baffle as the instructions show the bracket attached near the inlet but the way the drawing is, it does not show you how high up to put the baffle, or where to drill the holes in the dust collector....I did notice that the bracket holes that attach to the dust collector are the same size and spacing of the support bar holes.....I'm thinking I may just install it to that....

Does anybody here have this model and have installed the baffle??

I may also just build the collector without it first and see how it goes....I've never had a dust collector like this so not real sure what to expect, and may want to compare it with and without the baffle.
        I'm hoping it meets my needs, I really wanted to get a cyclone type model but the expense was just too hard to justify considering the use it will get. I already have a Onieda dust cobra, and a Festool ct36 and they both work very well. I'm going to be purchasing a jointer and planer hence my need for a larger type collector....
        And yes I got the idea for looking at Jets Vortex model...but found out you cannot buy the Jet in Canada.....unlike the vortex cone though, I was a little surprised to find the BB is just round, not a cone..I've also read where guys are using cheap teflon frying pans with great success....I guess time will tell....lol

Comment

Originally posted by gnlman View Post
          Hi. I just recently purchased the Craftex cx400 and the baffle from BB tools. I have the dust collector partially assembled but the instructions for the baffle are less than stellar....just 2 drawings....I am going to call BB and see if I can get some support/info to install the baffle as the instructions show the bracket attached near the inlet but the way the drawing is, it does not show you how high up to put the baffle, or where to drill the holes in the dust collector....I did notice that the bracket holes that attach to the dust collector are the same size and spacing of the support bar holes.....I'm thinking I may just install it to that....

Does anybody here have this model and have installed the baffle??

I may also just build the collector without it first and see how it goes....I've never had a dust collector like this so not real sure what to expect, and may want to compare it with and without the baffle.
          I'm hoping it meets my needs, I really wanted to get a cyclone type model but the expense was just too hard to justify considering the use it will get. I already have a Onieda dust cobra, and a Festool ct36 and they both work very well. I'm going to be purchasing a jointer and planer hence my need for a larger type collector....
          And yes I got the idea for looking at Jets Vortex model...but found out you cannot buy the Jet in Canada.....unlike the vortex cone though, I was a little surprised to find the BB is just round, not a cone..I've also read where guys are using cheap teflon frying pans with great success....I guess time will tell....lol
          I have had that DC for awhile. It really sucks. The filter does a great job of keeping the fines out of the air, but it fills up fast and reduces airflow. I found that the chip bag could not be filled more than half full, else the filter would clog right away.

I got fed up with that and bought a Super Dust Deputy. Works excellently. I almost never spin the flapper that cleans the filter and I have good suction all the time. I re-jigged the collector arrangement to keep the same footprint as shown.

Baffles reduce suction more than cyclones.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Randy in Calgary; 11-14-2014, 03:00 PM.
          Cheers
          Randy

Comment

Hi Randy. Thank you so much for your post, I was actually going to message you and ask if that was the same model dust collector that I have as I came across a post by you showing your unique setup. Funny I had looked at other setups like this in the past during my decision making process but don't think I ever saw yours....I looked at different models with your setup (or something like it) in mind but never cared for the dust collector brand, or specs ect., so finally decided to just go with the straight collector and see how much it get's used....then today I saw your setup and now I'm probably going to return the baffle...lol...
            I had the small dust deputy setup in a cart with an old Sears shopvac, as well as one under my mft table and while I lost a little bit of suction, and space, it sure worked well.
            Glad to hear that the cx400 has good suction, it was rated pretty high, but those numbers can be pretty well...not reliable at times....lol

I was looking at your other pictures and it appears you have some sort of small transition piece, or spacer between the flanges of the motor/fan housing and the body of the collector..if so, did you make that or were you able to buy something like that?
            Also, I have not run my 220 receptacle yet so I cannot test this.....I would like to know if the switch is an on/off type with a capacitor assistance....the reason I'm asking is I would like to order a remote for the collector and the one I'm considering (long ranger 3) requires an stay on stay off type switch...
            Well thank you again for the post, I think for now I'll assemble the collector stock, and see how my usage is....but knowing me it won't be long and I'll be ordering the parts to duplicate your idea...after all why not make it better...hahaha
            I'll snoop your profile a bit more and look for any other pics you have of this setup as well.
            Thanks again, Greg.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by gnlman View Post
              I was looking at your other pictures and it appears you have some sort of small transition piece, or spacer between the flanges of the motor/fan housing and the body of the collector..if so, did you make that or were you able to buy something like that?
              A buddy that does some welding made it for me. You can achieve the same result with some MDF and a short piece of hose or duct. In fact, if you want to use a bigger (higher) barrel, you will have to do that unless you want the top of your filter near the ceiling.

Also, I have not run my 220 receptacle yet so I cannot test this.....I would like to know if the switch is an on/off type with a capacitor assistance....the reason I'm asking is I would like to order a remote for the collector and the one I'm considering (long ranger 3) requires an stay on stay off type switch...

I use the 220 volt remote from Busy Bee. Have had it several years and works great.
              The inlet of the DC blower is an interference fit into the top of the Dust Deputy. Stroke of luck there. Such a good fit that I doubt if I could get them apart!
              Cheers
              Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                I have had that DC for awhile. It really sucks. The filter does a great job of keeping the fines out of the air, but it fills up fast and reduces airflow. I found that the chip bag could not be filled more than half full, else the filter would clog right away.
                I had the same experience but the plywood baffle and a chimney solved that for me , didn't really compare the suction before and after though so can't really comment on that.
                (mine is the Grizzly G0548ZP same as the CX400)

Comment

Working...
                X