• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barrel Liners and the Oneida Super Dust Deputy

Originally posted by callee View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

I appreciate all the rigid-barrel liner ideas, but to be honest it just sounded like too much fiddling around. I mean, I'm sure it's no big deal if you're only emptying every so often, but, while I'm not as busy as many guys here, I'm busy enough that I'm emptying several times a week -- several times a day if planing a big load. The idea of having to deal with a rigid liner every time - dropping it in and then fishing it out - would get a little much for me personally.

The bleeder line idea seemed better suited to me: fiddle once installing it, and then never have to fiddle again. So I went that route.

Turned out it was very easy.

I stopped in at our favourite orange BORG and picked up a 10' length of 3/8" flexible plastic tubing for $4.97, plus two connectors from the plumbing section (little guys with a barb on one end and a male threaded opening on the other) and two matching nuts and washers. I put a little goop glue on the barbs and popped one in each end of the plastic line, then drilled two 1/2" holes: 1 in the bottom of my barrel, and another in the collar on the suction opening of the dust collector. Then I just stuck the threaded ends in, tightened the nut on the other side, and voila: I was off to the races.

I ran an ash board that was lying nearby through the planner a number of times to make some shavings, and sure enough, the bag stayed in the barrel and was filling up with shavings just fine!

So I'm pretty happy about this, because now it will make changing the DC barrel very easy: just pop the lid, roll the barrel out, tie & toss the bag, drop a new bag in, pop the lid back on, laughing. As easy as changing the garbage in the house.

All for under $10 and about 1/2 and hour of time.

So thanks so much for your answers everyone!
    Sounds good. Got any pictures?
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Sure, I'll go take one. I forgot to say that I also tuck taped an old brillo pad over the opening inside the barrel, as someone recomended above.
      I left the full 10' of line so that I could still have lots of slack to roll the barrel out.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by callee; 09-01-2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Yes this method works very well, it is the system used on my Dust Cobra.

Comment

Working...
        X