Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone familiar with the DustFX Cyclonic DC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone familiar with the DustFX Cyclonic DC?

I have been looking for a ~2 HP cyclonic DC for some time now to outfit my small shop. I was just informed by a Canadian supplier that they are going to carry a line of cyclonic DC's called the DustFX, manufactured for CWI Industries. The spec's look good, but I can find no info for this DC anywhere, including the CWI site - but the supplier says they will be online within a month.

Anyway - my question - has anyone had any hands on experience with a DustFX cyclonic DC?

The specs:
    Motor: 2HP
    Voltage: 220V 1 Phase 9 Amp
    Suction: 1600 CFM-11” Static Pressure
    Inlet Diameter: 6" with 4" X 2 splitter included
    Filter: Hepa - Filters 99.9% of particles to .3 micron
    Clean System: Hand Wheel Crank
    Drum: 30 Gallon on wheels w. Quick Release
    Sound Rating: 74 Db.
    Mobility: Entire Unit on Swiveling Wheels
    Remote Included: Yes
    Silicone Sealed Frame: Yes
    Weight: 205/255 Lbs.
    Inlet Height: 45 1/2" at centerline
    Footprint: 26"W x 36"L x 74"H
    Shipping Dimensions: 45” x 26” x 38”

These spec's look pretty good, but without real world results, I am hesitant.

Thanks in advance.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Is anyone familiar with the DustFX Cyclonic DC?

Specs look a bit inflated for a 2 hp unit. It would be nice to know the size of the fan.

Brian
    If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

They seem modest with their HP claim. 220V, 9 Amp is closer to 3 HP .

Tim

Comment

220*9/746=2.65 without any allowance for loss ... so highly unlikely 1600 CFM at 0 SP

Comment

Originally posted by big tim View Post

Tim
          No. 9 amps is about right for 2 HP
          Cheers
          Randy

Comment

What I am primarily interested in is how good it is at filtering fine dust.

As for amperage/HP, I think a 9 amp draw on a single phase 220 motor works out to about 2 HP operating at 90% efficiency.

Cheers.

Comment

Rod here's your DC.

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessori...or-cyclone2_2#

John

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Johnston View Post
                What I am primarily interested in is how good it is at filtering fine dust.
                It would filter the fine dust assuming the filter is up to spec, but if the airflow spec is gained by using an inefficient cyclone design, more fine dust will end up in the filter than in the bin. Of course clogged filter don't let much air pass through ...

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                Specs look a bit inflated for a 2 hp unit.
                Had the same thought when I saw the specs.

Comment

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
                  Yes, actually that is exactly the model I was enquiring about with the supplier in question. They replied that they no longer carry Laguna and will be selling the CWI DustFX series instead. They state that the CWI is manufactured in the same Taiwan factory as the Laguna, but built better. I was sent a picture of the DustFX and see that the cone is quit short so am concerned that there will be insufficient centrifuge to separate fine dust which would mean that the filter would plug quicker and drop overall efficiency sooner.

I really need to hear from someone who actually owns and uses one before I can comfortably entertain buying one.

Cheers.

Comment

Rod I sent an email to Bill Pentz to see if he had any insight about this DC. We've talked in the past and he has always been very helpful. He and his team might have tested these style units and have some data, I will let you know if I hear anything, it sometimes takes a day or two.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
                      Rod I sent an email to Bill Pentz to see if he had any insight about this DC. We've talked in the past and he has always been very helpful. He and his team might have tested these style units and have some data, I will let you know if I hear anything, it sometimes takes a day or two.

John
                      Thank you John, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by big tim View Post

Tim
                        Tim, the best quality motors are about 12 amperes at 240 volts for 3 HP.

This one is probably a low PF, low efficiency motor that may be 1 1/2HP..............Regards, Rod.
                        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Hi, specs look very inflated and incomplete.

You need a system performance curve which includes the fan, cyclone and filter.

I doubt if it would exceed 600 700CFM at 4 or 5 inches water column................Regards, Rod.
                          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

What types of dust and chips will you generate? A short cone cyclone will separate chips but be less efficient at fine dust. Most traditional sized wood cyclones are only 50-75% efficient at separating sub 5 micron dust so a short will be less than that. not relevant if not running sanders though. Filter says HEPA but that needs tpo be verified. It is cleaned with a brush inside ? That sounds more like spun bond . I think the bigger issue than filter efficiency with a 2 hp cyclone is the pressure drop of both the cyclone design and the filter. 2 hp is really a minimum size motor to deliver enough cfm under working pressure with the added resistance of the cyclone. 3 would be much better. Everyone talks about filter efficiency and HEPA but the filter does no good if there isn't enough cfm to pull all the fines from the machine. It's not how well the filters work any more than how much dust gets to them in the first place. The pressure drop and area of the filter is relevant too. Small motors means small impellers which by design are low pressure. 1600 cfm isn't at 11" sp. 1600 is at low pressure max and at 11" the cfm is likely only a few hundred. Operating pressure of a working system is 8-14" so a two hp cyclone is likely capable of 400-700 cfm at working condition. A full 5 hp cyclone will deliver in the 1000-1400 range. The cyclone and filter can push the system into 2-6" sp alone, add pipe, flex, and the resistance of the port design and you can see how fast sp adds up. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                              Tim, the best quality motors are about 12 amperes at 240 volts for 3 HP.

This one is probably a low PF, low efficiency motor that may be 1 1/2HP..............Regards, Rod.
                              Thanks for that, Rod,
                              Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X