Router Table Dust Collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Table Dust Collection

I've been constructing a router table with an enclosed cabinet to house the router. (about 18d X 20w x 14h).

I plan to add dust collection for both the cabinet and the fence. Past experience has shown me that when I'm using the router as a handheld, I get better DC when connected to my Festool CT26 instead of my Oneida V3000 due to static pressure. Will this still be the case when stuffed into the cabinet, or will there be greater benefit from the much higher CFMs of the Oneida?

My table is close to the DC and I have a short 5 inch flex line available if I use he Oneida.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Router Table Dust Collection

Hey, Nestor,

I've been wanting to improve the chip collection of my cabinet-mounted router and am listening in on this discussion very closely. All that I do at this point is plug the 2 1/4" (?) hose from my Rigid shop vacuum into the back of the Kreg fence. The cabinet beneath then of course fills with chips, which I then have to vacuum out as I go along. So... I'm wanting to look after both the above and below table chips and dust.

I'm thinking that my light-weight shop vac isn't going to provide me the necessary CFM to handle both the fence and the in-cabinet intake. I'm therefore planning - subject to what I hear here, that is - to run a 5" flex hose from my ducted dust collection cyclone - to the cabinet, with an auxiliary tee off of it to a 2 1/4" flex hose connecting to the fence.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm paying close attention to what others may offer.
    All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

I get good results with mine connected to my dust collector. Here are a couple of pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	148_4839.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	907159

Name:	148_4838.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	907160
      Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

The router table isn't any different from a shaper with respect to dust collection.

Use a 4 inch port at the fence and a 4 inch port on the cabinet at the top rear.

Bring make up air into the cabinet through the bottom front...........Regards, Rod.
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
          The router table isn't any different from a shaper with respect to dust collection.

Use a 4 inch port at the fence and a 4 inch port on the cabinet at the top rear.

Bring make up air into the cabinet through the bottom front...........Regards, Rod.
          I'm with Rod.

If you have to reduce to 2 1/2 for the fence, do it at the fence.

Comment

So basically, CFMs trump SP if the ports and hoses are kept at least 4"?

Comment

Originally posted by Nestor View Post
              So basically, CFMs trump SP if the ports and hoses are kept at least 4"?

Yes, you'll note that larger fences such as used on shapers use a 4, 5 or 6 inch port.

Router table fences use small ports because many of the fences were only a couple of inches high........Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                Yes, you'll note that larger fences such as used on shapers use a 4, 5 or 6 inch port.

Router table fences use small ports because many of the fences were only a couple of inches high........Rod.
                That's a good point. Most of the tables I see have low fences, small ports, and connections to a shop vac.

I haven't built my fence yet so I will work that into the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Name:	Router Table Base Cabinet Pics 042.JPE
Views:	3
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	907174 Click image for larger version

Name:	Router Table Base Cabinet Pics 044.JPE
Views:	3
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	907175

My Jessem router table lift has great under the table dust collection via the integrated dust collection port. There's very little that gets missed.

One of the reasons of routers motors burning out is debris when they are used in router tables falling into the ports at the base of the router casing. The less debris that gets in there, the better.
                  Kevin

Comment

Assuming that your below table dust collection is basically a box, a 5 inch hose coming from a cyclone should be plenty of CFM by itself. The 2 1/4 shouldn't even be needed. You probably with need a vent to reduce suction (will make the work stick to router opening).

Comment

This looks like an effective and economical solution....

http://store.workshopsupply.com/cata...es-p-4776.html

This guy has put together a couple of videos showing how to install it...

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                      X