shop air cleaner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shop air cleaner

Hey guys, firstly merry christmas to all.

I have a question. I just got a sweet deal on a 1 1/2 general dust collector. I would like to know if I can use the motor from my other dust collector (1 HP) and build a shop air cleaner that I can hang on the ceiling.

All info I found thus far keep talking about a furnace blower, but figure since its a dust collector it is sucking air, so in theory should work.

Cheers

pMT
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: shop air cleaner

You can use it but it is really way too much HP a squirrel cage blower from a furnace is usually only 1/2 hp or less. the 1 HP would use way too much power for the work needed and move too much air.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

ok, thanks for the info. I will try to find a smaller motor.

In that case I will have a craftex CT145 1HP dust collector for sale

Would like $100 for it, it will come complete with IVAC automatic 110 V switch box, or preferably trade for a 1/2 HP squiral cage motor.

Cheers

paolo

Comment

Originally posted by pmtottawa View Post
        ok, thanks for the info. I will try to find a smaller motor.

In that case I will have a craftex CT145 1HP dust collector for sale

Would like $100 for it, it will come complete with IVAC automatic 110 V switch box, or preferably trade for a 1/2 HP squiral cage motor.

Cheers

paolo
        Sell your DC and go to a furnace installer and pick up a used squirrel cage and fan for $20 easily.

Comment

Wally,

Thanks for the info. Will do that then.

Cheers and merry christmas!

pMT

Comment

You can also use one or more box fans fitted with pleated furnace filters that have been lightly misted vegetable oil. There is an interesting review of air cleaners in Issue 172 - OCT 2006 WOOD Magazine that make some very interesting observations regarding dust behavior. The box fan ranked 2nd in the testing. Having several high volume low velocity fans suspended from your ceiling could be more efficient than a single high velocity, lower volume blower.
            Placement of the device(s) is as critical as what you use. Don't install the cleaner so it is drawing dust laden past your head.

Don

Comment

Kijiji in ottawa"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	907294
              In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity. - Thomas Sowell

Comment

Originally posted by pmtottawa View Post
                Hey guys, firstly merry christmas to all.

I have a question. I just got a sweet deal on a 1 1/2 general dust collector. I would like to know if I can use the motor from my other dust collector (1 HP) and build a shop air cleaner that I can hang on the ceiling.

All info I found thus far keep talking about a furnace blower, but figure since its a dust collector it is sucking air, so in theory should work.

Cheers

pMT
                My suggestion is to not waste money or time on an air cleaner, as you're locking the barn after the horse has bolted.

Any dust that is not collected at the source of origin, is contaminating your breathing air. Once it's in the air, you need a respirator to prevent it from entering your lungs.

Spend your money and time on a good dust collector with HEPA grade filtration, and improve the collection at your machines.

For example your tablesaw probably only has cabinet collection, it needs over the blade as well.

Once you collect the dust at source, an air cleaner isn't needed, as your dust hasn't gone into the air.

If you contaminate the air, by hand sanding for exmple, run your dust collector with a hose near the sanding area, and perhaps another port open for maximum air flow.

Running my cyclone for 10 minutes reduces the particle count by a factor of 2 to 3 versus outdoor air.

Regards, Rod
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Collecting dust at the source is a big deal and the best way to protect your lungs. Takes a fair sized collector and lots of cfm. New Euro machines have pretty efficient hood and port design but older machines have neither so you need cfm to compensate. If going with an overhead, mainly to keep dust from settling and above your breathing zone, you want it mounted high- over 8', 10 is better -or very low. Most hobby type $200-400 machines have MERV 10 or worse filters. Dust collectors have MERV 14 or better. You can replace the stock filters with MERV 14 in the overhead. As to DC filters, whether spun bond, Nano, or Hepa, filter area and cfm are more important than the type. All will clean the air better than you get in the house provided the dust gets into them. More filter area reduces the force the dust is sucked into the fabric and helps with their cleaning. All filter media is rated for cfm per SQ ft. Don't exceed it. Dave

Comment

I agree with Rod and Dave about good quality DC but I disagree that an air cleaner is a waste.
                    No matter how good of a dust collection system you have at the machines there are simply some operations that produce dust that are not easily collected. Bandsaw/mitersaw are notorious for dust collection, so is hand routing. You can reduce the chance of air born dust but you can't eliminate it.
                    A good air cleaner made with furnace fan and two layers of good quality furnace filters is an excellent addition to a good DC.
                    Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by mreza View Post
                      I agree with Rod and Dave about good quality DC but I disagree that an air cleaner is a waste.
                      No matter how good of a dust collection system you have at the machines there are simply some operations that produce dust that are not easily collected. Bandsaw/mitersaw are notorious for dust collection, so is hand routing. You can reduce the chance of air born dust but you can't eliminate it.
                      A good air cleaner made with furnace fan and two layers of good quality furnace filters is an excellent addition to a good DC.
                      I think this post is spot on. I have a LV air cleaner (which I received as a gift) and though I can go a long time between using it, the need to use it definitely arises regularly, and at those times, I'm awfully happy to have it.

Comment

Didn't mean to imply the overhead is a waste. I have two in the shop, mainly to keep dust from settling into a finish but I use them whenever sanding. The stock filters are mediocre and according to my dylos meter they take a very long time to clear the air. They have a place but must be placed carefully and you need to realize they have limitations. Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X