Auto blast gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto blast gates

Auto blast gates or semi automatic, either or. Does anybody have them or using them? How do they work? AC or DC, pneumatic solenoid, pneumatics cylinder, I-vac style, homemade or purchased??? It seems that it can be very very cheap to build them yourself compared to the (nordfab) higher end ones. But what really is the difference???
    Last edited by Matt Matt; 12-28-2014, 01:38 AM.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Sir Isaac Newton.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Auto blast gates

i use auto blast gates and I love them--walk to the machine open the gate and switch the tool on no fuss. I bought the switches at a local electronics store for $3.50 each and mounted them to each blast gate--some just screwed to the gate and some needed a wood spacer (if your gates are all the same you could attach all in the same way) The switches are low voltage so no danger. I would never go back to a remote switch.
    Roy

Comment

One of my favorite improvements.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2818.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	907331Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2819.jpg
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	907332Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2821.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	907333Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2822.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	907334Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2823.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	907335 My gates were made by Kaim Inc, a one man Wisconsin company. About 400 usd for larger ones. Slightly less than Nordfab but I think they are very well made. Matt, you could fab up your own but I'm not good enough to do that. Pneumatics came off ebay, either 5140 or 3140 SMC. A bunch on a manifold are the cheapest way to buy. $50-75 for a group of 6. If you look for the ones with push on fittings you avoid buying the separate push to fit. 24v dc for the auto start and simple toggle switches to override. Some gates have a delayed stop - delay on break- so chips can clear before the gates shut down. My collector does not start with the gate or machine. I generally leave it on and depending on what the dylos reads, I flip an override and clear the shop air. Dave

Comment

Dave;

I am going with low-voltage command center but using 110volt 2 position, 5 way pneumatic relay. I want to run this in parallel with my indicator light on my cyclone start. I'm not that crazy about current sensing relays(but I might change my mind in the future). What size is your cylinders? I purchased 16 MM X 150 MM cylinders so I hope they have enough umph. I guess I could always run two? At $9/piece they won't break the bank.

I want to run the command center off the same momentary start button as the cyclone I'm just gonna add a two second time delay for cyclone shutdown.

this is will be my little command centre.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	907347
        And I want to mount the pneumatic relay to the gates so I can't go with a manifold.

Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	907355
        Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

I won't take a picture of my wiring because it is messy even by my standards. Yours will be a million times better. Bimba stainless with a 1 1/8" approx diameter on the 6" gate. It is centered on the butterfly and as you can see everything is covered. I tried to email Wayne but he may have retired. Has been talking about it lately. The current sensors were recommended by Alan Schaffter over on SMC. So far they have not failed in about three years of use. He has had them longer. They are cheap and easy to replace but so far so good. A solenoid on each gate is probably the more standard way of doing it but with 7-9 strand furnace wire, it was easier to run that to common areas. I have about ten gates ranging from 8" to 5". Dave

PS if you have a gate on your table saw overhead, you want it to delay off until the blade stops or the offcut will hurl. Dave
          Last edited by beckerkumm; 12-28-2014, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Air cylinder actuated, time delayed, automatic blast gates in a garage workshop!!! If you had not posted a picture I never would have believed it. Simply unbelievable. Dave you are a crazy man. You guys have taken this insanity to a whole other level.

AWESOME THREAD
            Mike

Comment

i spent a little money on the gates- about 350 USD average but I'm OK with everyone making a profit. I think the material cost is more like $100 if you have machine skills. Everything else is sourced pretty cheap off ebay. Manifold of six solenoids, current sensors, a couple of delay on breaks, and a transformer can be had for $200 give or take. Solving the problem is always part of the fun but the gates and my pneumatic clamps are something I enjoy every time I work in the shop. Kind of like old machines. Fun to figure out how to fix and then you enjoy. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by beckerkumm View Post
                i spent a little money on the gates- about 350 USD average but I'm OK with everyone making a profit. I think the material cost is more like $100 if you have machine skills. Everything else is sourced pretty cheap off ebay. Manifold of six solenoids, current sensors, a couple of delay on breaks, and a transformer can be had for $200 give or take. Solving the problem is always part of the fun but the gates and my pneumatic clamps are something I enjoy every time I work in the shop. Kind of like old machines. Fun to figure out how to fix and then you enjoy. Dave
                Dave, the ones that you have look to be very well-built. I've never seen a design like that before. It looks like all moving parts are contained. And I like that. For my prototype, I think I might leave the moving parts accessible. For me that would be acceptable but, for industry standards probably not. There's little bit of a safety issue involved, especially with the self-cleaning style which I will probably use. The 16 mm pneumatic cylinder that I purchased only has pressure of about 30 pounds, but that's probably enough to do fair amount of damage to a finger being a self-cleaning glass gate is kinda like a guillotine. I'll try to figure out what my cost prices might be for each tonight.
                Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Curiosity got the better of me.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2869.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	907364Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2870.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	907365Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2871.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	907366Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2872.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	907367Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2873.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	907368 Took off a cover. The sheet metal in the closure has been remade to a design that fully opens and has a turned over end to fit the red bracket which isn't fully tightened down to allow for so movement. While the gate isn't completely airtight it is much tighter than stock manual gates. Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thank you for taking the time to take it apart. I may be one of the very few interested on how it works but, I am interested nonetheless. I do plan on using the standard high-quality blast gates, that do not have an airtight seal shown in this picture.

Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	907369
                    The guy you purchase these from definitely had some high level of concept. It looks to me like he used a existing cast aluminum framework and then built around it. It as well looks to me like he replaced the standard slider with stainless steel. And then created a housing that would be suitable for safety and industry. It looks like he only fabricated four parts. The two stainless steel shrouds, the slider and the piston slider clamp (in "red"). Thanks for the disassembly, it gave me another idea on piston location.

edit; I love the work bench!
                    Last edited by Matt Matt; 12-29-2014, 10:44 PM.
                    Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Roubo design. I actually cleared the crap off it to work. Novel idea. I may try it again. DaveClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2874.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	907370

Comment

I, too, am surprised that so much time and effort are going into automating something which is so simple to perform manually. In my case, my blast gates are situated at or near eye level, very close to the on-off switch of the machines. It's become so automatic for me to first check that the gate is open before turning on the machine that I hardly notice it. Kinka like seatbelts for the car.

In practice, I keep the tablesaw gate open all the time, which leaves only the 4 others to play around with when necessary.

I do, however, appreciate reading about the technology and design that is going into these automatic gates and am glad you're sharing it with us.
                        All the best,

Marty

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Marty, my shop is in a four car garage that has a wall dividing two stalls. Most machines need to be moved from wall to be used and most gates are hard to get to. Many are overhead or against wall so the auto got to be a necessity- that's what I tell myself. I also tended to forget to shut them off and my big old machines need all the cfm they can get. Kind of like a garage door opener. Hard to go back. Dave

Comment

If I bought on need I would probably have a handsaw, hammer and nails. What I want is a totally different game and that is why some days I spend as much time looking for tools as I do working. I struggle to overcome my "wants". But have not been very successful at it. Recently bought a 40 ft sea container.

brian
                            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Working...
                            X