dust collector confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust collector confusion

I'm looking to buy a dust collector for my new workshop (garage). I've done a lot of reading and I think I want HEPA (0.3) micron filtering, a vortex for bulk collection and at least 800 CFM.

I'm planning to mount to a wall and eventually run hard ducting to a few machines but will probably use flexible ducting temporarily.

To be honest, I'm not sure what brand/model I need. I will be spending a LOT of money because I need to buy basically all my woodworking tools/equipment so I don't want to waste on features I don't need but I also want a good product.

i will have 220/240V available so that's not a concern. Any advice is much appreciated.
    Last edited by ChrisG1971; 02-06-2015, 09:46 AM.
    Chris G

Is it just me or do buffalo wings taste just like chicken?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: dust collector confusion

Re: Dust Collector Confusion

Hi and welcome Chris...I am going to move your post to the dust collector section under workshops. You will get a lot more help there.
    When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Hi Chris, I have an Oneida cyclone, it's been in service for 13 years, I wouldn't hesutate to buy another........Regards, Rod.

P.S. Welcome to the forum
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

What level of filtration does it have? I would love to get 0.3 micron, but most of the systems I've looked at are 1 or 2 micron.
        Chris G

Is it just me or do buffalo wings taste just like chicken?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisG1971 View Post
          What level of filtration does it have? I would love to get 0.3 micron, but most of the systems I've looked at are 1 or 2 micron.
          Hi Chris, it's the .3 micron filter.

Go to the Oneida site and look at the HEPA filters................Regards, Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

the best way to waste money when it comes to dust collection is to focus entirely on spending the minimum amount of money on it. Upgrading this later is expensive once you've invested time and money in pipes and hoses. Pipes and hoses will likely equal or exceed the cost of the machine. Unfortunately, there's a fair amount of math involved with sizing a system properly and searching around the internet for information is going to be a very difficult process because it's not a simple topic and some of the physics involved are counterintuitive, but that doesn't stop people from giving advice that they're not qualified to give.

As you read more, remember that everybody has different expectations about what their dust collector should accomplish. Some people are happy enough if it just takes the chips away so they don't have to sweep the floor as often, and other people want to maintain a level of air quality in their shop that is good enough so they don't have to wear a dust mask most of the time while they're working.

If you are talking about 0.3 micron filtration, I'm going to guess you want to do dust collection for the sake of air quality.

If that's the case, you should really take the time to study the math or consult with an expert. That's the most likely way to get your system right the first time. The alternative is basically to guess what you need and hope for the best, possibly going through cycles of dissatisfaction and expensive upgrading until you get to a solution you're happy with.

As someone who has been running on that dissatisfaction->upgrade treadmill for several years now, I can tell you that if I had just bought the right sized system in the first place, I would have saved a few hundred dollars compared with what I've spent so far.

Comment

If you have not yet read the Bill Penz site, it would be a good idea to do so.
              Grant Wilkinson
              Ottawa ON

Comment

Dust collection is one of those subjects that comes up all the time. Most often there is not enough info given to make a reasonable suggestion. What you want to achieve and why is very pertinent. Professional or hobby shop etc.? Would a real good respirator and a shop vac work? How much time is spent in the shop? Will there be a lot of sanding? Is chip collection the major concern? etc. etc.

Hobbyists put too much emphasis on dust collection in my opinion. Non heated shop areas usually mean the area is used in warmer months when a garage door can be opened to supply clean air. In a basement shop a reasonable amount of pondering can normally isolate dust in a closed environment.

I have seen systems that are extremely expensive but don't run enough to necessitate a yearly filter change/clean and once you get started it seems to grow beyond all common sense.

Just a thought BTW.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

A few years ago I was in the same situation as you, except my workshop is in the basement.
                  Dust collection is VERY important to me as I don't want it to impact my health or my family's health.

I ended up purchasing the portable 2 HP Dust Gorilla from Welbeck Sawmill. (http://www.welbecksawmill.com)
                  Here is a link to the specs: http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD..._no=XXP990201H

I connect it to one machine at a time using a 6" hose that is 10' long. Since all my gear is old, I had to make dust collection baffles/ports. Overall it works very well and there is little dust on the floor.

Also, I put in a cheap 50 cfm bathroom fan and vent it outside. This keeps a small amount of air flowing into so dust can not get out. It is also great when finishing a project, as there is no chemical smells outside the workshop.

Don't forget a shop coat... It is a great way to keep the dust from moving with you.

Good luck!
                  -Frank

Comment

Dust collection in the shop is an area that is very involving with tons of variables. A little insight as to your situation may help others point you in the right direction.

What do you plan on using for the piping? PVC, spiral metal, round heating duct....?

What will be your longest run?

What size of ducting are you thinking of?

Do you plan on blast gates?

Where is the location you plan on setting up your shop? Basement, attached garage, stand alone building, barn, ....is the area heated all the time or only when in use?Does anybody have allergies or respiratory issues that could be impacted in the vicinity of where you want to set up shop can sometimes be an important consideration in how extreme you want to get with dust abatement?

And where did you get the idea that 800CFM is your minimum?

It's a minefield navigating this area of shop setup. Like others have said, you don't want to do something that is not sufficient and have to redo later, nor do you necessarily have to super overkill either in most cases.

I read Sandor Nagyszalanczy's book on dust collection which helped a lot.

http://www.amazon.ca/Woodshop-Dust-C.../dp/1561584991

I do find myself that Bill Pentz has a lot of useful information but you can also go crazy digesting everything he advises and the depth of what he proposes also.

In my setup, I went with a 1300CFM King single stage collector, swaped out the cloth bag for the pleated filter canister, used 4 inch PVC for my runs and blast gated everything although I can get sufficient collection with having a second gate open by accident for many applications. I also reconfigured the collector itself off the metal roll away platten it came on and secured the motor to my shop wall. This was mostly for space considerations in my one car garage shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopShots 008.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	909877

Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopShots 009.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	909878

Good luck!
                    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Frank_in_GTA View Post
                      Don't forget a shop coat... It is a great way to keep the dust from moving with you.

Good luck!
                      -Frank
                      Good tip Frank. I also found a huge difference with having a carpeted face rubber bottomed floor mat at my shop door entrance. Keeps the dust on my feet in the shop and not creating an ice rink of sorts just outside my shop on what for me is a smooth laminate floor surface.
                      Kevin

Comment

While filtration efficiency is important it is only part of the equation. IMO the most important thing is to make sure you have enough cfm to pull as much of the dust cloud generated by the machine into the filters. Whether the filters are hepa, nano, spun bond, or singed felt, they will likely filter air to better standards than what is in your house. Getting the air to the filters before your lungs is the key. Dave

Comment

Dust collection is like a drug to me. The better, faster, more efficient, less thought about it,.... You can take this to any extreme possible.

You can automate it, semi automate it,... I mean the skies are the limit. I was just looking at the other day a fine particle dust sensor that can detect smoke particles to turn on your dust collector air cleaning system. If you have a basement shop like I do, the add-ons are limitless! You can add proximity sensor overloads for the bin, fire and smoke detection, fire reaction, autoblast gates,..... you can spend $600 on a decent DC for a 400 square-foot shop upwards of $10 000.00 the state of the art system. I have personally read Bill Pentz's website about a 1/2 dozen times. His information provided me with the steppingstones and help me create a dust collection system that I am happy to brag about.

I started out with the original budget at $1000. I met that and it was for 4 machines(max run 16'). In the near future I plan on doubling that price tag and extending my runs and making it fully automated.

I would have to say enjoy your dust collection and take it to whatever level you wish. If you're looking for help please let us know what your price range is? And the circumstances.
                          For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                          Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Chris,

Thus far you've received two recommendations from folks who use Oneida systems. Add me to that list; I've had my Oneida Pro 1500 system for eight years (see the article I wrote about it: https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/...ion-small-shop). It's now in a different shop than depicted in the article, and I'm really happy with how it performs.

If you get an Oneida system, the folks there will generate a recommended ducting system, based on a shop drawing you provide that shows the layout and types of machines you have. That in itself will give you a lot of very valuable information.

You've already received recommendations to read Bill Pentz info. Although he's an absolute fanatic and a bit over the top, his advise is sound. Read through everything he has to say and you'll be the wiser for it.

Good luck with your decisions on this important shop health safety component.
                            All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
                            - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Yup, another Oneida fan here. Bought one a few years ago and would do it again. Easy to set up, install and operate, and comes with independent study verification of its performance, so you can count on the numbers unlike some other brands. It was the only new equipment I bought for my shop.

B
                              Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Working...
                              X