Oneida Dust Cobra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oneida Dust Cobra

Hi. I purchased this unit almost a year ago and have posted a review on another site that had a discussion on this unit that I read when doing research before buying the Cobra. I didn't find a lot of info on it on the net, and had to order online as there was no dealer in my town or anywhere close I could go and put my hands on it. If anyone is interested I can post the review here for you all to look at. While the review is not very technical and full of test readings like some reviews, I tried to give some real life examples of what tools it worked with and did a short comparison to my festool extractor, which is the info I was seeking when trying to decide whether to order the Cobra. It's a bit of a long read but hopefully it will help someone else who may be trying to make a decision on buying this unit.
    Greg
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Oneida Dust Cobra

I would be interested in reading your review, Greg. I've only seen a couple of pics of it, and I can't see where the filter is.
    Grant Wilkinson
    Ottawa ON

Comment

Greg, by all means post it. There's always someone looking for recommendations on dust collection. Good unbiased information is hard to find.

Comment

Gred: I am still interested, but I see now where the filter is. I think that this unit would be too small to replace what I now have, but your review would be enlightening, I'm sure.
        Grant Wilkinson
        Ottawa ON

Comment

instead of the cobra I ended up buying the mini gorilla.

Comment

Ok, here is the review. I posted this on the FOG site, hence all the references to Festool equipment. I am sure you will find similar results with other brands as well.

Hi all. Sorry to be so long getting back to this thread.
            Since I found so little info on the Dust Cobra when I was shopping for a replacement for my shopvac and Dust Deputy setup, I thought I'd share my experience with both Oneida and the Dust Cobra. While this is a little bit of a long read, as a hobbyist with little dust collection experience, I'm trying to make sure I give the information I was seeking when trying to make a decision, hence not so much technical detail just a bit of real world use.

Firstly, this is a fairly expensive unit (especially for a hobby guy ) and I bought it after a lot of reading about dust collection and the difference between small and large collectors and learning which type of collector works the best on which types of tools.
            I have been using this unit for close to a year now and I must say it was worth every penny. It has performed flawlessly, and the build and fit of the unit was quite refreshing compared to other purchases I've made. In addition to the information Oneida provided me pre purchase, I did at one point of assembly need to call Oneida for a bit of advice. My call was answered by a person, quite a knowledgeable person I might add, and she not only addressed my issue, she even took my contact info and spoke to the engineering dept regarding my concern and contacted me later that day...Very good customer support indeed.

I also have a Festool CT36, and while the Dust Corbra and the CT are both different animals, they do much the same thing...suck sawdust, but of course they have their differences and their place in the workshop. I did take a few measurements of both units and it's not meant to be a comparison, just info to allow others to make a choice for which collector is right for their application.

My shop is a 16 x 32 detached garage. I have a smaller room at the front of the shop (16 x 12) where I have workbenches, my MFT3, Festools, and tools I like to keep warm as the small part of the shop is heated all winter. The larger part of my shop is where my cutting table, and large tools are. I usually heat this mostly on weekends or if I have a project I know I'll be working on during the week.....I have electric heat...bit spendy....lol

I keep the CT 36 under my MFT3 99 percent of the time, unless I take it in my house. The tools I use in the small part of my shop are sanders, routers,ts55, domino and Kreg jig.....of course the CT36 works great for these tools and was a great choice for that part of my shop.

I had been using an old craftsman shop vac ( 200 cfm with adjustable suction) with a Dust Deputy in the larger part of my shop It worked great with my TS55 cutting up full sheets of plywood, great with routers, and actually not bad with sanders if I turned down the shopvac.....I started buying some other tools that would live in the large part of my shop, and this was when I decided I needed something more powerful. I added a router table, drill press, a Kapex, and more recently a Dewalt 735 planer and small Dewalt table saw.The shopvac alone could do a pretty good job til the filter clogged, but once the Dust Deptuy was added the suction loss made the dust collection less than satisfactory at the tool...great separation which kept the shopvac filter and canister dust free, just not enough suction for my needs.

I started reading more about dust collection, and at first was looking at larger single stage units, larger cyclone units and such....this is when I discovered the difference between the larger collectors and dust extractors and how they differed....this is where my reservation came in once I started looking at the Dust Cobra as I was looking for a one Dust collector solution for the tools I had at the time, and the tools I planned on purchasing. I soon discovered from other members of this and other forums who helped me out with information that is not really possible depending on what tools you are going to use. After speaking with someone from Oneida I decided that the Cobra would look after my needs for the tools I had at the time, and since I had to order this online as there are no dealers in my area, this was a bit of a leap of faith.

Like I said earlier, I've been more than pleased with my purchase. It works great with my Festool TS55, routers, Kapex and even the domino. While it has too much suction for the sanders, I do my sanding in the small part of my shop with my CT and if needed I can bring the CT out to the larger part of the shop. I even tried using the 27mm hose with the sanders thinking it might cut the suction, but still too much. I also have a Kreg router table which has dust collection on the fence. I added a dust collection box around the router, and I made my own Y with hose going to the fence and the back of the router enclosure. the Cobra keeps up with this just fine. I have also tried it with my planer, and while it handled the chips and kept the table clean, I suspect it would fill quickly...but for small jobs it works just fine. It also works really well on the Dewalt table saw...I still get dust, but it's an overhead issue I still need to solve.
            I also added a small 2 1/2 inch hose system with blast gates which I plan on extending to the Kapex once I finish the cabinets and miter station. You will see in the pictures that I have a line that goes up to the ceiling and ends in the center of my cutting table. I also have the Cobra plugged into an Ivac switch which gives me tool activation like the CT. I found that there was minimal suction loss thru this little amount of 2 1/2 inch hose system, if memory serves me correctly, it was less than 5 percent. I do plan on reducting with some sort of plastic pipe once I get the miter station finished, which will help as well.

I don't have the most expensive measuring tools for sound and cfm, but here is some of the information some of you may like to have. The cfm test was done with a 36 mm 10 foot hose, as well the DB ratings where both done at 10 feet from the CT and the Cobra. Both machines had clean filters,bags and where empty.

CT36 - CFM 134, DB 73

Cobra - CFM 240, DB 76.8

The Cobra is by measurement a bit louder than the CT, but there is no screaming frequencies like you find in a shopvac. It reminds me of a high quality vac you find say at a carwash...I have to look at it once I start a tool up to make sure it's on.....

I hope the pics load ok, I think it's my first time posting them on FOG....lol
            If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them, but as I've said already.....great choice for what I'm using it for.

I did just recently buy a single stage collector (craftex 400) as I do have plans of eventually buying a jointer and and a bandsaw....I also think the planer will be better served by the larger collector as well. I have plans of running it thru a super dust deputy with hopes the suction loss is not too bad....the craftex claims 1700 cfm.....we'll see.....lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	910177

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	910178

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	910179

Comment

Great review. Tks for taking the time to post it.
              Grant Wilkinson
              Ottawa ON

Comment

Appreciate the review gnlman! I've been looking at ONEIDA as well, trying to price things out well in advance of having to buy and having read a ton of reviews on ONEIDA and others, I appreciate the time you took to post this. I do have a few questions for you though. If you have time to respond, I'd appreciate it:

1) What made you decide to go with the Cobra as opposed to the 2HP Gorilla? Do you have the regular or "industrial" Cobra? I met a guy here in Edmonton that had a Cobra and he said it was worth every penny, hence the reason why I'm considering oneida;

2) How many feet of ducting are you running? I noticed you're using a rippled 2 1/2" hose for all of your ducting -was this something oneida recommended or was it a personal choice? I haven't seen rippled hose before as most guys use ducting instead. Are you happy with the setup or do you plan on making any modifications down the road?

Thanks again for the review - very informative!

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Gump View Post
                  Appreciate the review gnlman! I've been looking at ONEIDA as well, trying to price things out well in advance of having to buy and having read a ton of reviews on ONEIDA and others, I appreciate the time you took to post this. I do have a few questions for you though. If you have time to respond, I'd appreciate it:

1) What made you decide to go with the Cobra as opposed to the 2HP Gorilla? Do you have the regular or "industrial" Cobra? I met a guy here in Edmonton that had a Cobra and he said it was worth every penny, hence the reason why I'm considering oneida;

2) How many feet of ducting are you running? I noticed you're using a rippled 2 1/2" hose for all of your ducting -was this something oneida recommended or was it a personal choice? I haven't seen rippled hose before as most guys use ducting instead. Are you happy with the setup or do you plan on making any modifications down the road?

Thanks again for the review - very informative!
                  Hi Bubba Gump. Thank you for the kind words, like I said in my post, I did not find a lot of information on this unit when I poked around the WWW so I wanted to give back a bit of info to the forums that I have learned so much from...

The Dust Cobra and the unit you are talking about are 2 different types of collectors.
                  The Dust Cobra is more of a very nice shopvac which is High suction lower air flow....this is more suited to hand power tools or floor sanders. In my post I explain that at this time I have a 2 part shop, and was looking for a solution to capturing dust from my track saw, drill press, chop saw, and maybe the odd use of a router and a domino in the larger part of my shop. This unit gives me about twice the suction of my shopvac/cyclone setup and adds 1 micron hepa filter with cyclone that captures not only the sawdust, but the actual dust with very good filtering.
                  In addition to the Cobra, I have added a single stage 2hp collector with a 1 micron filter (craftex cx-400) which is the machine I plan on using with larger tools like a bandsaw,planer, jointer.(one at a time no ducting) I have also ordered a Oneida Super Dust Deputy and drum to do a modification to my single stage dust collector much like a gentleman on this site did (Randy from Calgary) which will improve the separation on my single stage collector. I also have plans of running a 4 inch duct from my single stage collector to the bottom of my Kapex and will use this to compliment my Cobra which is hooked up to the discharge of my Kapex. I want to also use both collectors on my small table saw to collect for the bottom, and the top of the saw.
                  The ducting in the picture that you asked about was just a quick fix I found at my local tool store. It works OK, but I am planning on changing this to some type of abs pipe, although there is not much loss in suction as the length is only about 10 feet or so and serves my purposes for now.
                  If you are considering a product from Oneida, my experience with the Cobra, and their customer service has been great. As I mentioned in my review the Cobra assembled very well, seems to be very good quality and met my expectations given the amount I paid...very refreshing, and made in North America which also played a part in my decision process.
                  Hope I answered all you questions, thanks again for the kind words. This whole dust collection subject is a bit subjective, and there is definitely a balance between going overboard as a hobbyist, but at the same time making sure you are protecting your health. I am at a stage in my life where my family obligations (mortgages, kids tuition ect) are all met and I am fortunate that I can buy what I want...but throwing good money at a problem is not always the best answer.....oh yeah in addition to the collectors, I also use air filters, or scrubbers......I don't have any fancy meters for checking dust in the air, but now when I sand, I don't taste dust or have to blow my nose......not too technical, but it works for me as a hobbyist....
                  Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.
                  Take care, and happy sawdust collecting.lol
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gnlman View Post
                    Hi Bubba Gump. Thank you for the kind words, like I said in my post, I did not find a lot of information on this unit when I poked around the WWW so I wanted to give back a bit of info to the forums that I have learned so much from...

The Dust Cobra and the unit you are talking about are 2 different types of collectors.
                    The Dust Cobra is more of a very nice shopvac which is High suction lower air flow....this is more suited to hand power tools or floor sanders. In my post I explain that at this time I have a 2 part shop, and was looking for a solution to capturing dust from my track saw, drill press, chop saw, and maybe the odd use of a router and a domino in the larger part of my shop. This unit gives me about twice the suction of my shopvac/cyclone setup and adds 1 micron hepa filter with cyclone that captures not only the sawdust, but the actual dust with very good filtering.
                    In addition to the Cobra, I have added a single stage 2hp collector with a 1 micron filter (craftex cx-400) which is the machine I plan on using with larger tools like a bandsaw,planer, jointer.(one at a time no ducting) I have also ordered a Oneida Super Dust Deputy and drum to do a modification to my single stage dust collector much like a gentleman on this site did (Randy from Calgary) which will improve the separation on my single stage collector. I also have plans of running a 4 inch duct from my single stage collector to the bottom of my Kapex and will use this to compliment my Cobra which is hooked up to the discharge of my Kapex. I want to also use both collectors on my small table saw to collect for the bottom, and the top of the saw.
                    The ducting in the picture that you asked about was just a quick fix I found at my local tool store. It works OK, but I am planning on changing this to some type of abs pipe, although there is not much loss in suction as the length is only about 10 feet or so and serves my purposes for now.
                    If you are considering a product from Oneida, my experience with the Cobra, and their customer service has been great. As I mentioned in my review the Cobra assembled very well, seems to be very good quality and met my expectations given the amount I paid...very refreshing, and made in North America which also played a part in my decision process.
                    Hope I answered all you questions, thanks again for the kind words. This whole dust collection subject is a bit subjective, and there is definitely a balance between going overboard as a hobbyist, but at the same time making sure you are protecting your health. I am at a stage in my life where my family obligations (mortgages, kids tuition ect) are all met and I am fortunate that I can buy what I want...but throwing good money at a problem is not always the best answer.....oh yeah in addition to the collectors, I also use air filters, or scrubbers......I don't have any fancy meters for checking dust in the air, but now when I sand, I don't taste dust or have to blow my nose......not too technical, but it works for me as a hobbyist....
                    Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.
                    Take care, and happy sawdust collecting.lol
                    Greg

Hey, my ears are burning!

Please post some pics of your DC -Dust Deputy setup when you are done. I'm still pretty happy with mine.
                    Cheers
                    Randy

Comment

Thanks Greg - all very useful info! Did you buy from Ultimate or from Atlas in Toronto? I have been in contact with Dan at Ultimate and his pricing is similar to Atlas so the difference will be negligible I'm sure. I appreciate your comments around cost and being reasonable as a hobbyist. My concern is to keep the air quality as good as possible with having little ones around. A family friend was recently diagnosed with COPD and the only source of dust in his lifetime was working at a sawmill for a few months more than 30 years ago as a young adult, so its definitely a concern.

Comment

Hi. Yes very important to protect your family for sure especially if you shop is in your house, couldn't agree more. I am going to try the single stage route with the Super Dust Deputy and see how it goes. I will have about 1100 dollars invested between the collector and the Super Dust Deputy, but should realize quite a bit more cfm for that money compared to buying a cyclone unit for more money. I am trying to achieve at least 800 cfm at the end of 10 feet of 5 inch hose. The Gorilla claims to get around 600 cfm at the end of a 5 inch hose....from all I've read 800 cfm at the tool is considered a minimum. If it is not effective, well I'll be shopping again....lol

Also, I realized I didn't answer one of your questions. I have the regular Cobra, but from what I could tell, the Industrial version is the same unit, but comes with all the optional items. (casters, hose kit, level indicator) the specs are the same as far as I can tell.

I am on the west coast, so I ended up buying it from Busy Bee in Vancouver. They had a good sale on, and offered a pretty good discount on the optional items. I did get the hose kit, and caster kit, but didn't bother with the level indicator. The casters are very good quality, as is hose, but the hose is very large and quite heavy....not sure I'd get the hose again as it's a bit of a pain to manage and store.
                        I see on Oneida's site the Cobra is now made of a type of anti static plastic material. While I don't have too much issues with static shock in my shop, I probably would have gone with this option had it been available at the time as my festool hoses ect all are conductive as well...but so far so good...
                        Good luck with your search!!

Randy:
                        Well hopefully once the items get here I can get some time right away to start the transformation. I am no where near as skilled as you, but I will post a picture once I'm done anyway!! lol
                        Greg.

Comment

Working...
                        X