dust collection ducting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust collection ducting

Alright everyone, I am finally ready to duct my garage shop with proper dust collection. I have a GI DC wired to 220, and would like your opinions on duct sizes. Being a hobby shop only 1 machine will be in use at any particular time. I have setup the machines in my shop to minimize duct runs (all machines are on castors).

Not interest in hooking and unhooking ducting to machines and prefer a more permanent solution.

Based on my limited knowledge, 5 - 6 " is ideal, but pricing and availability is an issue. I wonder if running 4" piping throughout will significantly affect performance, and if so, can anyone give some insight where I may get the 5 or 6" pipe in Ottawa (prefer PVC / ABS) as easier for me to work with.

Looking forward to your insights.

cheers

paolo
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: dust collection ducting

As far as duct size goes there is a lot of science behind that as well as much speculation/opinion as well. If you are near a Home Hardware they have the thin wall PVC drain pipe that will work quite well. However it's only 4".

I would like to see a thread dedicated to people's systems. What size DC, what kind/size of pipe, length of run, etc just because there is a lot of talk and little actual experience.

Comment

I was just discussing Oneida's products on another thread in this forum where someone used rippled 2.5" flex hose. I know, based on my knowledge of fluid dynamics that a lot of the principles apply the similarly when calculating airflow, turbulence, friction loss, etc. It's an in-depth subject, but Oneida has a tutorial on their website that shows some of the principles that need to be understood in order to maximize efficiency of a system, something I'm just starting to delve into. Hope this information helps!

Comment

The first item that's needed is a "fan curve" of the complete dust collector including filters.

The next item is to determine what length of ductwork you'll be using as well as the mumber of elbows, wyes and length of flex required.

Finally you'll need to determine how much airflow your different machines need.

For example, tablesaws will need 500 to 800 CFM depending upon design and whether there's over blade collection. (you need over blade collection).

That would mean 5 to 6 inch for the saw, assuming your collector can support that.

Regards, Rod.
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

12.75" blower on giving dust collector. Duct run max will be 15' servicing ts router planer and jointer. Only 1 machine used at a time with 3 wye then reducing to machine ports.

I am well aware of fluid mechanics and flow rate velocity etc. Don't get me wrong as I want to capture as much dust chips as pose but this is simple a garage hobby shop. I fully understand that it is the first e dust that a use health issues and that capture at the machine is the ideal situation. I am a dressing this one a machine by Machine basis with mods to the ts lade guard etc. I also have an air filter running at all times that changes the air in the garage every 5 min. So based on that would like to get 5 or 6 inch mains and branching from there to the machines. So was wondering where to get these without spending a fortune as the local borgs don't carry these sizes in abs / pvc - would the local plumbing contractor carry these. Will call them tomorrow.

Cheers
          Pmt

Comment

Before the Brent Days, we had access to a commercial account. I can't remember which plumbing supplier it was, but it was compliments of Steve C. (former member). The difference between wholesale and retail was very substantial.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by klassenl View Post
              As far as duct size goes there is a lot of science behind that as well as much speculation/opinion as well. If you are near a Home Hardware they have the thin wall PVC drain pipe that will work quite well. However it's only 4".

I would like to see a thread dedicated to people's systems. What size DC, what kind/size of pipe, length of run, etc just because there is a lot of talk and little actual experience.
              Have you looked at the Dust collection sub forum under Shop related discussion forum here?
              Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

I used the 6 inch metal HVAC ducting.

Works great, a pair of crimpers may be required.

Regards, Rod.
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
                X