Solution for Clogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution for Clogs

Hi everyone. I currently have a 1hp King portable dust collector. I work out of a 1.5 car garage so keeping my DC portable is important to me. The problem I have is, every time I use my jointer (only a 6 inch) I am constantly clearing clogs. Is a cyclone something that is going to prevent this from happening? if so, can someone recommend a very small or very portable solution for a guy who doesn't have much room to work with?

Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Solution for Clogs

Where does it clog up, in the ducting, at the inlet to the fan,exit from the jointer, same place every time ?
    Paul W.

Comment

I use a Lee Valley cyclone lid http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...82&cat=1,42401
      I find it works well
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

If there is a screen/mesh piece in the dust collector inlet remove it but be aware of using the DC for floor clean-up. You do not want to suck up screws or metal pieces and have them hit the impeller.

Check also on your jointer but I do not think there would be a screen on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Woodrow View Post
          Where does it clog up, in the ducting, at the inlet to the fan,exit from the jointer, same place every time ?
          yes generally it clogs at the DC intake right at the grate above the impeller, then due to loss of suction, the jointer gets clogged.

Originally posted by Bob in Stoney Creek View Post
          If there is a screen/mesh piece in the dust collector inlet remove it but be aware of using the DC for floor clean-up. You do not want to suck up screws or metal pieces and have them hit the impeller.

Check also on your jointer but I do not think there would be a screen on it.
          I thought about clipping that grate on the DC, but thought maybe investing in a cyclone would be a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by dan991199 View Post
            yes generally it clogs at the DC intake right at the grate above the impeller, then due to loss of suction, the jointer gets clogged.

I thought about clipping that grate on the DC, but thought maybe investing in a cyclone would be a better option.
            Fwiw, removing the grate is part of my assembly process.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Kevin H View Post
              Fwiw, removing the grate is part of my assembly process.
              Me too. I also use a Thien top hat to keep nasties out of the impeller.
              works great.

Comment

I use one of these with my jointer and don't get any clogs. http://www.busybeetools.com/products...e-tornado.html

Comment

I too removed the grate in front of the impeller. I also noticed that these plug up only occurred when planning softwood. The size of the shaving were really long compared to the shavings from hardwood. Anyway, I didn't have a plug up since then.
                  Chris
                  I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

Working...
                  X