Dust collection on 26" drum sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collection on 26" drum sander

i have a 26" dual drum sander and my dust collector is so far away that it5 does not work that well. Can anyone tell me how big of a portable collector I should be looking for
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dust collection on 26" drum sander

If you look at Bill Pentz site, find his static calculator. The is a Hobbiest Fan Table showing typical performance for a variety of impeller / HP / duct size and length combinations. These values are a guideline. Also keep in mind that there are limits to how much air can be sucked through a 4" opening. That is why you do not see 4" in this table.
    Oneida, Laguna, Delta, Grizzly and JDS all offer some pretty slick portable solutions.
    Use the Pentz table to keep focused on performance specifications.

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a General Inernational 24" dual drum hooked directly to a 2hp single stadge collector with less than 10' of 6" pipe and it almost keeps up. That said there is not a bunch dust blowing all over the feed table just doesn't stay perfectly clean.

A 3hp would probably get everything.
      Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Originally posted by mikeddd View Post
        I have a General Inernational 24" dual drum hooked directly to a 2hp single stadge collector with less than 10' of 6" pipe and it almost keeps up. That said there is not a bunch dust blowing all over the feed table just doesn't stay perfectly clean.

A 3hp would probably get everything.
        I would agree with Mike as I have the 2hp with 4" piping and it keeps up with most of it but not all of it.

Comment

I have a 2hp cyclone. I guess I will have to move the sander closer and see what happens. If I am sanding a narrow piece I will try closing off one of the suction outlets on the sander. Would it help if I put blast gates on and pinch them off a bit. My collector works great with only one port open at a time

Comment

What size ducting are you running from your cyclone, if you have just 4" that's most likely your problem, also what cyclone do you have?
            My cyclone is larger than yours since I have the 3hp Grizzly, but I have my General International 24" dual drum sander at the end of apx. 55+' of ducting but I'm running 6" all the way other than the first 5' from the cyclone which is 8". To get to the sander the ducting runs through 4 - 45degree bends and 10' of flex hose I get a full 100% collection at the sander.

Comment

I have my GI 24" hooked up to a craftex 2hp with 4" pipe. The sander is fairly close - the hook up order goes planer, jointer, sander - maybe about 15' total pipe. It takes care of most of the airborne dust and keeps the table somewhat clean, but there is always some dust on the table that falls off the end of the conveyer belt, and so after any serious amount of sanding I have quite a pile of dust on the floor under the end of the belt. Eventually I'll have to do something about this. I'm disappointed in the amount of dust that is left, but not surprised given the 4" pipe, though the one time I forgot to turn the DC on, I saw very quickly just how much dust the DC was getting! It's actually doing a much better job than you might think, given the size of the pile of dust on the floor.

Comment

You have to look at more than just HP. HP governs the amount of work the fan can do. If the fan is undersized or restricted by the port size or by inadequate exhaust filters, the actual work being done i.e. CFM, is reduced.

Al - You say your unit runs better with only one port. Does it spin faster, more RPM like when you cover your vacuum cleaner suction with you hand? If this is the case, your fan spins faster because it is doing less work. Just as your lawn mower has more rpm when it is not doing work - not cutting grass. Run it into some 4 inch grass and it bogs down - doing work.
                A fan is an air pump, but it needs air to do work. The motor draws more current when it is working. Slows down, needs more juice (amps) to maintain RPM. A breaker can trip when you overload your saw. The same will happen if the fan is trying to move to much air. It will bog down and overheat.

Mike - You may not need to increase the HP of your system until you verify the fan diameter and consider increasing your ducting to 6". Pentz' fan table suggests that a 2HP with a 12" fan and 6" duct, will move a decent amount of air. anything that impedes the air from getting into or out of the fan housing, will reduce the amount of air the fan can move.

John is the only one who has sized his feeding tube properly.

A 6" duct has a cross section of 28.57 square inches. A 4" duct is 12.57 square inches. It is unlikely that you would see much over 400 CFM in any 4" system.
                Dust collector fans are not particularly efficient. They are designed to move very dirty air, with very large clearances between the impeller and the housing. So going from 4 to 6 or 6 to 4 can have a massive imapct on flow.

These sanders you guys have must generate a ton of dust. You want to be sure you have thoroughly researched your requirements.

Don

Comment

My cyclone is shop builtand am running 4" ducting. I think I have found out why I was not getting very good suction. I had an extra gate open so instead of sucking out of 2 I was sucking out of 3. I had a shop built 28" single drum sander and it seemed to work quite well for dust control. I will try again with only 2 gates open and see how it works

Comment

Originally posted by Don Burch View Post
                    You have to look at more than just HP. HP governs the amount of work the fan can do. If the fan is undersized or restricted by the port size or by inadequate exhaust filters, the actual work being done i.e. CFM, is reduced.

Al - You say your unit runs better with only one port. Does it spin faster, more RPM like when you cover your vacuum cleaner suction with you hand? If this is the case, your fan spins faster because it is doing less work. Just as your lawn mower has more rpm when it is not doing work - not cutting grass. Run it into some 4 inch grass and it bogs down - doing work.
                    A fan is an air pump, but it needs air to do work. The motor draws more current when it is working. Slows down, needs more juice (amps) to maintain RPM. A breaker can trip when you overload your saw. The same will happen if the fan is trying to move to much air. It will bog down and overheat.

Mike - You may not need to increase the HP of your system until you verify the fan diameter and consider increasing your ducting to 6". Pentz' fan table suggests that a 2HP with a 12" fan and 6" duct, will move a decent amount of air. anything that impedes the air from getting into or out of the fan housing, will reduce the amount of air the fan can move.

John is the only one who has sized his feeding tube properly.

A 6" duct has a cross section of 28.57 square inches. A 4" duct is 12.57 square inches. It is unlikely that you would see much over 400 CFM in any 4" system.
                    Dust collector fans are not particularly efficient. They are designed to move very dirty air, with very large clearances between the impeller and the housing. So going from 4 to 6 or 6 to 4 can have a massive imapct on flow.

These sanders you guys have must generate a ton of dust. You want to be sure you have thoroughly researched your requirements.

Don
                    Don you might want to reread my post.
                    I am using 6" pipe, with a run less than 10' long.

This 2hp single stage collector is dedicated to that sander and not hooked to anything else. I actually move the pipe back and forth between this and my edge sander. The fan on the GI 10-110 collector is 12-3/4" in size, and it does an admirable job of keeping up, I would say it is catching 95% or better. For the small amount of dust that is left on the table I'm not thinking about upgrading to a larger machine. Yes these sanders do produce a ton of dust.

I used to have this 2hp collector hooked to a 4" dust collection system branching off to different machines and at that time my results sounded similar to what Ryan is describing. I have since upgraded to a 3hp cyclone and 6" lines for all the other machines and dedicated this 2hp for the two sanders.
                    Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Your shop-built 28" was a single drum and your new sander is a 26" dual drum, that means your new sander will at most times put out double the amount of dust as the old one did. Upgrading from 4" pipe to 6" makes a huge difference.
                      Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

The imeller in my 2hp cyclone is 11 or 12". Would I be able to run 6" pipe

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that the fine dust will clog up your filters real quick. I have a 37 in. Widebelt with a single head. It has a 6 1/2 inch port that is expanded to a 7 in DC line. I have a Torit cyclone. The DC power unit is a 5 hp Kraemer with 2 large felt bags. When using the wide belt the fine dust will clog my filter bags with probably an hours use of the widebelt which results in a large drop in efficiency. If not using the widebelt I can go at least 2 wks before I notice a drop in efficiency. The DC is hooked to a jointer,slider and planer and I can have all 3 open and it will collect all the sawdust with no difficulty. The DC has a 15 in fan. If you are not removing all of the dust from your sanders you are going to have a negative effect on your paper and cut down on the efficiency of your unit.

Brian
                          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

That's a very good point about the fine dust Brian and that is exactly why I choose to use a dedicated dust collector for the sanders.
                            Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

I don't have a filter. It is vented outside. So I have no restriction from dirty filters

Comment

Working...
                              X