• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dust collection on 26" drum sander

Originally posted by akuntz View Post
    The imeller in my 2hp cyclone is 11 or 12". Would I be able to run 6" pipe
    Hmmm that's a pretty small impeller for a 2hp, you would need to do some testing to see if you could actually move a greater volume of air with the 6" ducting. My guess is that you would probably see an improvement. In comparison my grizzly 3hp G0441 has a 15 1/2" impeller and their 2hp G0440 has a 14 1/2" impeller.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Good luck with keeping your shop warm in the winter with that arrangement, Allan!

Originally posted by akuntz View Post
      I don't have a filter. It is vented outside. So I have no restriction from dirty filters
      All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
      - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

I have had this conversation come up a few times and this is my response. I have a small well insulated shop and it is just a hobby. My machines are not running for a long time at once. My ducting is 4". I can honestly say that I don't notice a big change in temp.and have never noticed that I have had to open a winddow or door for make up air. My shop is an old building with a saddle for a roof so it only has insulation and vapor barrier on it so I don't pull the roof in. It does create a bit of a vaccume because the vapor barrier on the ceiling does move. I live in SW Sask and it gets cold. I just got sick of cleaning filters and have never cleaned on for about 6 years now and never will

Comment

Well I gave it another try with the extra gate closed and had way better results. No dust in the air and only a bit at the end of the board that just dropped to floor. I can live with that. Found something else that may help. I was curious about the fan size of the cyclone which is behind a cupboard. Found out it has to be at least 14". While crawling around I found a fitting was about half way apart. I will have a look at the rest of my connections and give it another try
          Al

Comment

Part of your problem, lack of suction could be that you don't have addequate make up air since you are venting outside. As an example, my shop is 22'x23' in a window I have mounted an old furnace fan for use when I blow down all the dust in the shop. ( yes I still get dust on surfaces, but this is a cleaning I do every maybe every 3-4 months, I try to keep my shop very clean ) The door to my shop swings outward and when I open the window and turn on the blower fan it's almost impossible for me to open the door from INSIDE the shop, if you tried to open the door from outside you would rip off the handle. This is because my shop is well sealed to keep the heat in and the makeup air has no way to enter the shop unless I open the door or another window. So in saying this perhaps this is your problem with lack of makeup air as you are venting outside with your DC.

Comment

Very good point John.

Brian
              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

i will try that and see if it makes a difference. Thanks

Comment

Unless you run a large impeller collector, you really need to have two four inch ports on a machine that size. One won't pull the air from a full 26" distance with enough cfm to capture fine dust generated so far away. I'd run 6" and pantleg wye to two ports. Dave

Comment

I believe this is the sander the OP has.
                    http://www.busybeetools.com/products...eries-csa.html
                    Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Yes that is the sander I have. I was using both ports on the sander and also had a third port open and also found a connection had almost come right apart. We are gone for Easter but am looking forward to trying it again with the fixed connection and the door open for make up air as suggested

Comment

Working...
                      X