Thien separator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thien separator

So I spent an hour and a half or so this morning and built a Thein separator. I had pretty much everything I needed except for a 4" elbow for the inlet. Works like a charm! (and the price is right)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	966200Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	966201
    The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Thien separator

I found when I did mine (2) that it worked better with a small dropper pipe on the outlet pipe about 1/3 the distance down between the top and separator plate, worth a try I'd say.

Mick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbird123 View Post
      I found when I did mine (2) that it worked better with a small dropper pipe on the outlet pipe about 1/3 the distance down between the top and separator plate, worth a try I'd say.

Mick.

Sounds like a pretty easy mod ... I'll give it a try, thanks.
      The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

I always wondered how much these reduce suction as compared to a cyclone. My Super Dust Deputy reduces it a bit, but not so much to negate the benefits of perpetually clean filters and constant suction pressure. Curious what your observations are with and without the Thein separator.
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

Never really thought about reduced suction. I kind of figured if there was no leakage there would be no reduction in suction. Thinking again, the addition of another level of turbulence would cause friction losses and so on. So far I have a clean DC bag; a rapidly filling garbage pail and not enough experience to comment with any authority. It's a work in progress and I'll be watching carefully but, so far; I'm impressed!

Comment

My top hat design doesn't reduce suction too badly. The increased efficiency from clean filters more than offsets that.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I've forgotten the detail but seems to me that a couple of guys measured and found loss was @ 30% at best . They tried veins to straighten flow etc.. way more interested in playing with it than woodworking I recon.
              I did see something in my travels that has possibilities and that was increasing capture at table saw. A certain amount to free air is required to develop good flow. Most table saws have quite a lot of gap around the top of the cabinet at the bottom of the table... which provides much more available air than necessary which reduces scavenging of dirty air which is the end objective. What these guys did was close off that gap using spray foam. YThey thought it was a marked improvement in suction at table saw.

Comment

Working...
              X