5hp Cyclone Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5hp Cyclone Design

I've decided to build another cyclone and I'm looking to recruit a few fellow woodworkers who are interested in contributing ideas, sources and suppliers.

Over the last 15 years or so I've built a couple of Bill Pentz inspired cyclones for myself and friends but really wasn't happy with the fit and finish of the end result. Probably because of the lack of skill of the builder.

I'm not crazy about the MDF of the blower on the Clear Vue cyclones. I'm looking to get the parts cut out on a plasma table and rolled by a sheet metal shop.

Here are a few ideas I've been beating around: 5hp motor with 16" impeller. Clear Vue sells a 16" impeller and Electric motor Warehouse has the C face motor. Blower and cyclone made from at least 18 gauge sheet metal cut on plasma table and rolled at a sheet metal shop. Either mig or tig welded. Gasketed flanged inlet to the cyclone and filter outlet to allow for different sized dust collection pipe to be used by changing the size of the flanged transition used. Cyclone barrel and cone attached in a similar way.

If anyone is interested in exchanging emails on such a project, has the ability to draw plans, has a better source for parts or knows of a business that would be able to cut and roll the parts please shoot me an email.

Thanks, Chuck
    [email protected]
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 5hp Cyclone Design

Hello Chuck,
    I work at a laser cutting shop and if you can work out the dimensions I can create electronic drawings.

I do have a working relationship with a shop that can roll cyclone cones up to approximately 26" tall.

I'll repeat this via email.

Comment

Hey, Chuck,

Now that you've got that much experience behind you, how many hours do you estimate it takes to make such a system? Any idea on the approximate cost?

Good luck with this interesting project!
      All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
      - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

If you have the Pentz plans, you just need a competent fabricator. If you do not have the plans, they should still be available for personal use.
        You aren't really clear in you objective. Do you want to simply find a fabricator, or do you want to redesign the cyclone?
        I have a friend in the area who built his own from the plan. He increased the thickness of the sheet metal, which slowed him down, but ended up with a very robust and functional unit. He adapted a commercial 3hp blower, which is offset to accommodate a very low ceiling.
        Any decent sheet metal shop can whip up what you want, and the great part about Pentz design, is it is easily scaleable.
        As far as the use of MDF in such a device, well there are plenty in use with no reports of catastrophic failures. Mine makes a racket, but no worse than any other blower I have come across.

Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Blinkie -I received your email will reply soon.

Marty - If you go with the 5hp motor from Electric Motor Warehouse and the 16" impeller from Clearvue and two good filters from Clearvue and cut and solder all the parts yourself you'd be getting close to $1500 is my guess but I haven't built one in five or six years.

Don - I have the Pentz plans and have built a couple of soldered cyclones with MDF in the past. My objective is to use the efficiency of the Pentz design in a cyclone very similar to the Oneida Pro with an all metal blower with flanged inlet and outlet and flanged barrel to cone. If you know of a sheet metal shop in Ft Saskatchewan that would be able to whip that up please let me know. There isn't one in Lloyd.

Thanks, Chuck

Comment

As for filters, I had "The Filter Shop" in town here build me some filters. I gave them the specs for the Wynn Nano filters that people in the US tend to use for Pentz cyclones (http://wynnenv.com/products-page/cyc...ing/9l300nano/) and they were able to match specs and price in CAD dollars. The filters where $159 USD each at the time, my cost for each filter was $159 CAD + tax, delivered to my front door. Nice thing about this is that I could decide what I wanted on for flanges, and pick one that worked well with my enclosure design.

There are quite a few TheFilterShop locations in Western Canada. I would look them up before ordering the filters from Clearvue!

-Nate

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Flawless Cowboy View Post
              As for filters, I had "The Filter Shop" in town here build me some filters. I gave them the specs for the Wynn Nano filters that people in the US tend to use for Pentz cyclones (http://wynnenv.com/products-page/cyc...ing/9l300nano/) and they were able to match specs and price in CAD dollars. The filters where $159 USD each at the time, my cost for each filter was $159 CAD + tax, delivered to my front door. Nice thing about this is that I could decide what I wanted on for flanges, and pick one that worked well with my enclosure design.

There are quite a few TheFilterShop locations in Western Canada. I would look them up before ordering the filters from Clearvue!

-Nate
              Now that is some neat advice, that I will likely forget about, when the time comes to use it.

Comment

Hi Nate

Thanks for sharing the info on the filters.

I called The Filter Shop in Edmonton two weeks ago and gave them the specs of the Wynn Nano filters I am looking for. Two 18" nanos similar to the Oneidas. They got back to me and said that they didn't have that type of filter media or the flanges I wanted. Weird.

Originally posted by Flawless Cowboy View Post

-Nate

Comment

Here are the specs of the filters I was looking for.

http://wynnenv.com/products-page/cyc.../62n220nano2g/

Chuck

Comment

1. Fabricator. John Spencer at McSween Custom Fabricating. They can do all of the rolling, welding, design assistance. 780-998-0600 #227
                    http://mcsweenfab.com

2. I purchased a set of Camfil Farr hemipleat elements from Camfil Farr US. After delivery customs etc, they were around $150.00 each. There is a company in Hamilton - Maddox Industrial Filter who will make to order. Last time I spoke with them, they were difficult for one offs. But I think in person they would be easier to deal. I believe another forum member got elements from them.
                    Don

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X