Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1hp dust collector with super dust deputy, waste of time or still effective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1hp dust collector with super dust deputy, waste of time or still effective?

I've currently got a 1hp busybee dust collector with canister filter and I was looking at adding a super dust deputy (or shop built clone) but I know that will cause a performance hit. Will the SDD still work with a small dust collector or will it rob so much performance that it will offset any gains? I know Onieda claims you can use the SDD with as low as a 0.5hp DC but I have my doubts.

My budget allows me to either get a bigger DC OR a SDD right away, then add the other piece later so I guess I'm really just trying to figure out what order I should proceed? If the SDD will benefit me right now then I can spend a little more time searching for a decent used 2+ hp DC and hopefully save a few bucks.

Right now my main dust collection point is my overarm guard as I cut a lot of MDF and I know the fine dust is the true evil. Typically I run the DC on the overarm guard then after cutting I swap it over to the cabinet port on my unisaw and suck the chips and dust out, it's a pain in the butt but it seems to work ok and as long as I keep the cap on the cabinet port I don't get too much dust seeping out. I've also sealed up the undertable area and holes in the cabinet as well as I can.
    In the meantime I've been using 3M masks and keeping the garage door open as I know my current equipment is less than ideal.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 1hp dust collector with super dust deputy, waste of time or still effective?

Re: 1hp dust collector with super dust deputy, waste of time or still effective?

I originally had my super dust deputy on a one hp craftex,then added a canister filter.it worked well enough for one machine but I upgraded to a 2 hp when the motor blew on the 1 hp.the super dust deputy does. Good job of separating chips off the planer,jointer and router table,ever the tabe saw,but not sure if there wil be much gain sawing mdf as a lot of fine stuff ens up in the filte and bag
    mike66 likes this.

Comment

Hey, Blinkie,

I concur that a cyclone of any model or make will decrease the draw of your DC, but exactly how much and if it'll be such that it'll diminish the performance to the point where it's ineffective is difficult to say without actual, in-shop testing. Edmonton is a pretty big town with plenty of woodworkers from this forum; perhaps one of them would be willing to allow you to bring your DC to their place and hook it up for a test?

As regards what route to follow: replace DC first, then get a cyclone, or the other way around, I'd recommend you consider the option of purchasing a used DC. As a rule of thumb you'll be getting more bang for the buck than by going new, and may save enough to afford the cyclone earlier, rather than later.

I should mention one other practice you're following which may actually be counter-productive. I'm talking about your plugging of as many holes as possible in your tablesaw. Please understand that your DC needs to be able to draw in as much air as it's exhausting to be effective. Too little drawing area and it's effectively reducing performance.

All the best as you work through this issue.
      Last edited by MartyFromKingston; 06-29-2015, 03:37 PM. Reason: Clarify the purchase of used DC
      All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
      - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

You could go used. There are lots of DC's that come up on kijiji. Most of them have bags but you could match it up with your existing canister though it may be smaller than the 2HP units and may introduce too much back pressure. Not sure.

The super dust deputy is super. I have the steel one but I like the looks of the large composite one they sell now. Cheaper too. If you buy a 2HP canister DC and a dust deputy you will be in for $800 plus but even if you go used you will likely have to spend at least $500. You may be able to recoup a hundred or so for your existing collector. My setup (2HP) works really well and it maintains suction for a very long time before I need to rotate the filter cleaner flapper thing. I use a drum sander with it and it still separates most of the fine dust in the barrel.
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

I'm definitely open to used dust collectors, there's one in Red Deer I'm interested in but I don't know if it's sold yet, heck, my current one is used. I'm just finding that some of the used ones are nearly as much as new and I'd rather have a warranty if I'm paying new prices.
          I haven't seen one of the composite super dust deputies yet but the steel one looks good.

I think I may go ahead with the SDD first based on what you guys have said, it'll help until I can find something more powerful.

Comment

There is a King 3109 with canister sitting in my garage in Fort Saskatchewan
            PM me if interested
            Don

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X