Canister filters in Canada ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canister filters in Canada ?

Apparently Wynn doesn't ship directly to Canada and Clear Vue won't quote an online shipping price.

Anyone know of a Canadian supplier of canister filters ?

Elite Tools may bring in the Oneida 39” Super Cartridge Filter Retrofit Kit for me....

Cheers, Don
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Canister filters in Canada ?

Hi Don

Are you gong to make some mods to your existing DC?

This Oneida unit only has a a 7" inlet. I think it is for replacing bags. There are some commercial collectors that exhaust into a large chamber (box) with a number of big felt socks acting as the filter.
    Most of our requirements need a 12 - 14" inlet.
    Way to much money for what you are getting - serious.

Stockroom Supply are now a Clear Vue distributor and they list the Wynn element Model: 9B300NANO, same as Clear Vue. Clear Vue sell for $200.00USD $262.73, Stockroom $269.99CAD
    A Wynn equivalent (I think, would cost $165.00US or $216.75CAD. Then get it here.

I bought my Farr Hemipleats in 2007. They were $80.00 USD each. UPS charged me damn near $80.00 each to bring them to Fort Saskatchewan. The Wynn's were $80.00USD ea at the time, so I can only think that UPS would have as harsh on the delivery.
    We use the same filter element in some of our work applications. The last cost I saw was over $300.00 each - skid quantities.

BEST BET
    I spoke to Maddox Group a number of years ago, but didn't have the great connections in the area that I now have. I believe a forum member bought one of their cartridges not all that long ago. At the time I spoke with them they seemed quite willing to make whatever I desired. One difficulty was payment. They didn't do over the counter deals, but now with etransfers common, should not be a problem.

http://www.maddocksgroup.com/index.php

Found it !!!!

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...067#post565067

Altiplano was going to provide an update on his experience. Maybe we can get an update on performance and the overall experience.

I completely missed on stopping to see them in May, so next time.

It bode well for all of us to find a company in Canada who can supply quality elements. Lets be realistic, the equipment distributors do not sell enough of these products to gain any price advantage.
    Save some cash by spending it in Canada.

Give them a call and see what happens.

Another long winded response.

Don

PS Some good resource information on the Maddox's site as well.
    Last edited by Don Burch; 08-08-2015, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Kondra View Post
      Apparently Wynn doesn't ship directly to Canada and Clear Vue won't quote an online shipping price.

Anyone know of a Canadian supplier of canister filters ?

Elite Tools may bring in the Oneida 39” Super Cartridge Filter Retrofit Kit for me....

Cheers, Don
      How about this one Don??

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
        How about this one Don??
        Don already has one of those.

DonB

Comment

Originally posted by Don Burch View Post
          Hi Don

Are you gong to make some mods to your existing DC?
          That's where I'm going

Ordered the Oneida Super Dust Deputy from Elite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dust deputy blueprint.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	914753

And, although I can purchase a 45-gallon drum locally for $20 it is at least an hour drive so I'll likely see if Elite can bring in a 35 gallon from Oneida. That way I will know for sure I won't have to fool around getting a good top connection and I think I will appreciate having less weight to carry outside, even if it means slightly more trips

This Oneida unit only has a a 7" inlet. I think it is for replacing bags.
          And only 92 sq. ft.

Stockroom Supply are now a Clear Vue distributor and they list the Wynn element Model: 9B300NANO, same as Clear Vue.
          Now THAT looks interesting @ 300 sq. ft. How do I make the connection to the exhaust hose ?

Wynn sells a flanged version that apparently fits a lid of a 5-gallon pail.

BEST BET
          I spoke to Maddox Group a number of years ago, but didn't have the great connections in the area that I now have. I believe a forum member bought one of their cartridges not all that long ago. At the time I spoke with them they seemed quite willing to make whatever I desired. One difficulty was payment. They didn't do over the counter deals, but now with etransfers common, should not be a problem.

http://www.maddocksgroup.com/index.php

Found it !!!!
          Perhaps I'll ask for an email quote. But it would be hard to beat the price of the Wynn and the free shipping from Stockroom Supply !

Another long winded response.

Don
          And I appreciate it Don, thanks...

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
          How about this one Don??
          Yup, that's what I have now.

I was going to reuse it but thought to myself. Myself, when you first installed it the CFM went Down. Why would you want to incorporate that into a new set up ?

And, upon close inspection recently, I noticed the pleats are coming apart, sigh...

Just for the heck of it, I spent a coffee break trying to find the sq. ft. rating for these types of canisters and all I could find were references to "6 times the area of cloth bags".

Now don't misunderstand me. I was VERY pleased with the upgrade to "no more puff of dust" on start up. And the reduction in CFM wasn't that bad. I can literally run my dust collector while waiting for a coat of lacquer to dry. And my DC is less than 8' from my open spray booth door.

I do find it interesting that others have reported an INCREASE in air flow with these filters. Mine was slightly undersize and I had to make a reduction ring to get it to fit the metal part. As is, the rubber gasket is flush to the sides of the metal...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Other side.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	914752

Anywho, if making a connection on the Wynn is fairly straightforward, that may be the route to go...

Cheers, Don
          Product Photography

Comment

Don
            I would get the XL. It will allow you to get the most out of you current fan. If the fan needs increasing, then the cyclone can handle the extra flow. The basic SDD is limited. Check Oneida's specs on the 2. You want to do this once.
            Don

Comment

Thanks Don,

I went with the metal one simply because Oneida say it will retrofit 1/2 - 3 Hp single stage systems and, touch wood, I don't plan on increasing the fan

The XL is for 3 to 5 Hp and both versions offer identical dust separation performance.

My big question remains, is the inner ring on the Wynn filter robust enough to screw on a wood disc for the intake ??

And would it be worth it to stack TWO filters ?

Cheers, Don
              Product Photography

Comment

Don, I have two Wynn filters, both open at both ends. At the flange there is a rubber ring that is about 1/2" or so thick (cross section is a circle).
                You can place a wood disc over it and screw it to the flange (well bolt it I should say) if you want.
                Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Thank you.

The model that Stockroom Supply sells is flangeless and there is no gasket but from the pictures appears to have an interior metal ring ?

That is where I hoped to use sheet metal screws..

I should hear tomorrow if they can supply a gasket or a flanged model !

Cheers, Don
                  Product Photography

Comment

Ok I see it on their site, it appears that both ends are like one end of the filter I have. For that flange-less end I have attached my clean-out box which is basically a wooden disk on the top. To bond them I just apply a bead of silicon around.
                    Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

From a fellow on Saw Mill Creek >

I just measured the metal thickness at 0.038 - 0.039 ... around 20 gauge
                      It should hang just fine with a caulked wood disk and some sheet metal screws

Cheers, Don
                      Product Photography

Comment

Don, do you remember how Steve Cater handled the filters? Yes, that was a blast from the past.

Comment

Must have been before my time Kevin !

Can't remember when I got rural internet and it was so slowwwwwwwww, sigh....

Cheers, Don
                          Last edited by Don Kondra; 08-10-2015, 10:56 PM.
                          Product Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Don Kondra View Post
                            Must have been before my time Kevin !

Didn't have rural internet before 2006 and it was so slowwwwwwwww, sigh....

Cheers, Don
                            It's a memory issue. You played with him regularly, regardless of bandwidth.

Box the filters, air flows exterior to interior. Clean them with a leaf blower.

Steve's work is on Pentz's site, along with Ed's, over a decade later.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin H View Post
                              It's a memory issue. You played with him regularly, regardless of bandwidth.

Box the filters, air flows exterior to interior. Clean them with a leaf blower.

Steve's work is on Pentz's site, along with Ed's, over a decade later.
                              LOL

Wouldn't be my first senior moment

Cheers, Don
                              Product Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X