Vacuum recommend for sanding solid surface countertops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum recommend for sanding solid surface countertops

I'm in the market for a new vacuum for solid surface sanding, something that would be good to use while installing! Just wondered what would anyone doing this might recommend! Thanks....Ed
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Vacuum recommend for sanding solid surface countertops

Festool sander and dust collector. Totally portable for on site work.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

The CTL Sys may be ideal, but it is still NAINA. It would likely be at least $500CDA when it does arrive likely in a few months is my guess.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V-crT5G2bS8
      Last edited by Lost in the Woods; 10-04-2015, 04:16 PM.
      Kevin

Comment

Thanks guys.....Festool is looking to be a pretty good option for the job!

Comment

Preface - I am a Mirka and Fein dealer

In my opinion there are 3 options to look at. Festool, mirka and Fein. All our excellent units and you won't be disappointed with any of them. In terms of the sander, the clear cut winner is the Mirka Deros for this application. It has a new style of backup pad which makes a noticeable difference in dust collection. its lightweight and powerful. As a side note it can be hook to any brand of vac and it does come in a systainer so it ties well into Festool items.. Regarding the abrasives, Mirka Net works great or if you want something a bit more affordable a number of companies make multihole discs. I would suggest SIA as you can get individual boxes. If you do get to the Toronto area at all I do have a demo unit of the mirka vac and the deros or ceros hooked up you can try.
          Mark
          www.masterfinishing.ca

Comment

Thanks Mark....will check them out....I did watch a mirka video awhile back. Looked like a nice setup!

Comment

I have a couple of Festool sanders but for solid surface my go to is my Metabo. It is a much heavier sander and is a dual action , very smooth. It connects to my Festool Vac. I was at the wood show today and had an opportunity to look at the Fein vacs. Very well constructed and would be my choice over my Festool

For a high gloss I use the discs shown in the pic. You use them with water. If you want you can get a mirror finish , not something I recommend but some insist. The discs are a 3m product.

Brian
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Brian @ Muir; 10-04-2015, 06:12 PM.
              If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Thanks Brian....appreciate the info!

Comment

I've done a fair number of solid surface countertops with onsite install and would highly recommend the Festool CT26 and ETS 150-3 with a hard blue pad and Granat abrasives also Mirka Abralon discs for polishing. Nice thing about Festool vacs is the easy of transportation and onboard hose storage. I would also consider the new Festool EC sanders that are brushless.

John

Comment

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
                    I've done a fair number of solid surface countertops with onsite install and would highly recommend the Festool CT26 and ETS 150-3 with a hard blue pad and Granat abrasives also Mirka Abralon discs for polishing. Nice thing about Festool vacs is the easy of transportation and onboard hose storage. I would also consider the new Festool EC sanders that are brushless.

John
                    Thanks John.....appreciate you taking the time to post! Do you know Graham (Erin)? Runs or used to run the arena? My wife used to carpool with him down to Sheridan in Brampton a number of years ago.

Comment

No one has mentioned the Bosch, seems to get got reviews, I personally don't know anything about it.
                      sigpicToday's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
                        No one has mentioned the Bosch, seems to get got reviews, I personally don't know anything about it.
                        Thanks Mark....will have a look!

Comment

Originally posted by ed on manitoulin View Post
                          Thanks John.....appreciate you taking the time to post! Do you know Graham (Erin)? Runs or used to run the arena? My wife used to carpool with him down to Sheridan in Brampton a number of years ago.
                          No problem Ed, the great thing about the forum is it will give you some good choices on equipment to choose from.

Yes I know Graham and last I heard he was still running both the Erin and Hillsburgh arenas. Spent way to many hours in the arena when my son was playing hockey. LOL

John

Comment

Originally posted by Mark in Burlington View Post
                            I have the previous version of the Bosch Airsweep 3931A (German made by Starmix). Its been a very good vac! Quiet with great suction. Only issue has been with (lots) of drywall dust packing in the filters, but that doesnt happen with wood dust, now I use my Dust Deputy inline when vacuuming lots of drywall dust. The filter shaker works well to clean wood dust, but it seems like the packy-ness of the drywall dust overwhelms the shaker's abilities very quickly.

The new version of the Airsweep , the VAC140 series looks very good, also made in Germany. Particularly, they offer a continuous automatic filter shaker version, the VAC140A (as opposed to my shaker which must be activated manually) which competes directly with the Festool Autoclean vac for about $300 less.

Carl Duguay from CWW did a review of the new Vac140A here https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/...o-filter-clean

If I was doing it over, Id ensure I had the continuous filter shaker option, for those times when vacuuming heavy, packing dust like drywall, other than that one issue, the Bosch vacs are great..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLzi2EJaefg
                            Last edited by scooby074; 10-06-2015, 08:23 AM. Reason: add link to review

Comment

Working...
                            X