Woodstove Safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woodstove Safety

A small well insulated storage cabinet with its own heat source is really not much different than house with its own heat source.

?? A concrete mass with imbedded heat tapes would be possible for cabinet heat. No open flames and heat storage for lack of power times. Keep everything handy. Could be set up for off peak times if that is possible.
    Egon
    from
    The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

For many years my parents had their water pump/tank/wellhead in the barn about 300' from the house. The barn was empty, no animals to keep it warm so my Dad built an insulated box around the pump and put two auto-battery warmers on bricks on the floor, one at each end of the box. He also piled concrete blocks in around the pump/tank The water pump stayed warm all winter and there was enough mass that even when the power went out for a few hours the temperature barely dropped.

So .... a cheap, safe source of heat for an adhesives storage box might be a battery warming plate or a battery blanket.

Comment

Yeah, I was in the shop for a few hours last night and it took the wood stove quite a bit of time to heat the shop. That being said, I do not have any way to move the warm air from around the stove to the rest of the shop, so I'll be bringing an old fan in there tonight after work to help circulate the hot air. In addition, it's currently -35C with the windchill where I am, so that's always fun.

I moved into the house in early November, so I had no chance to really check out the shop and it's insulation etc. I know for a fact that there's insulation and VB on the ceiling because the ceilng isn't finished with drywall or plywood. However, I think my main area of future problems is that this shop is a glorified big shed, so there's no slab, and I'm guessing I would find very little insulation if any is installed under the floor if I were to lift the flooring (plywood).

Comment

The floor is no worse than the air outside, the foundation, or the walls. My weather is similar to yours and I honestly don't know a single person who heats a garage or shop that has an insulated floor. I know of all the houses I built not one has any form of insulation under the floor or around the foundation etc. so I'm obviously not a proponent of that measure. I suppose it could help but how much? If your building is cold the insulation acts like a freezer box and maintains the cold just like a freezer does. So if you had an insulated floor and the air temp above the floor is minus 35 how would the insulation help. Even if you heat the air it will warm up but will soon revert to the frozen temps that it experiences most often when there is no heat. I know your floor is wood but freeze thaw under concrete is not something you should want to do either. I know others will likely disagree but all I have to go by is my experience and common sense. It might benefit a guy if the building were heated 24/7 but not intermittently. Commercial applications might insulate 3 or four feet around the perimeter under a floor but not a complete floor. at least not in my experience.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

They had electricity back then?

Ducking for cover..................
            Yes, however it was DC.
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
            X