• Andre in Quebec
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mark in Burlington
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Andre in Quebec
    replied
    Finally got some success with something called brake cleaner.....my neighbor was watching me cursing at the dam chuck and he came back with a can of that stuff for me to try

Product on the lathe itself is easy to remove with varsol , just spreaded some with a 1 1/2'' brush and waited a few minutes , works like a charm.

It was that 6'' 4-jaw chuck that was in a separate box that gave me a lot of trouble.Like if the protective coating had kinda toasted on it , very hard & thick at places , I had to use a plastic scraper to remove the thick coating before using the cleaner.The whole thing had to be done in 4 repeats......

Thanks everyone for your input , it is well appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• billh
    replied
    The coating may be Cosmoline although it is one of those trade names that gets used for any similar product. The removal is the same, Varsol which itself is a trade name referring to various brands of mineral spirits.
    billh

Leave a comment:

• KenL
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Matt Matt
    replied
    I am with Varsol. A light spray and 5 min later wipe off with a Cotton rage... and repeat.

Leave a comment:

• Andre in Quebec
    replied

Yep, I've contacted Busy Bee Ottawa store where the lathe came from , but still awaiting an answer , the guy's name is Guy and he was very helpfull when I purchased the lathe , we'll see.

Leave a comment:

• QC Inspector
    replied
    Unless a container of Varsol or similar is left open it doesn't get "old". You can wash parts and let the stuff settle and pour off the clean portion and use it almost indefinitely. Gasoline shouldn't be used, not because it won't work but because it is much more dangerous. It just takes a lot of time and elbow grease. You could try other solvents but the nice thing about varsol is it leaves a little bit of an oily film that reduces rusting.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Beaverfever1988
    replied
    Lantern kerosene from home hardware has disolved any grease and oil I've tried it on.

Leave a comment:

• Roy in Thunder Bay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Andre in Quebec
    replied
    Gasoline won't make the cut either.......

Leave a comment:

• DavidR8
    replied
    Get some new varsol, gasoline is too dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• Andre in Quebec
    replied
    My batch of varsol is probably too old.....tonight I'll give some gasoline a try.....who knows.

Leave a comment:

• QC Inspector
    replied
    I do the same as John. Varsol and a lot of rags. Thick areas can be scraped with a PLASTIC scraper especially if you soften it some with the Varsol first. Rubber gloves and a respirator or work outside/lots of ventilation.
    Enjoy the new toy.
    Pete

Leave a comment:

Working...
X