Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On/Off switch with safety locks

Hello everyone reading this.

I’m in the process of getting my workspace and tools together. I realized when my kids were in the space with me that it would be smart to put locks on the switches before everything goes live.

id like to know your opinions or recommendations to avoid having children turning on power tools. My kids are fine with hand tools and even have them use them sometimes.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: On/Off switch with safety locks

Perhaps the best method I've seen that unfortunately isn't as easy to do when things are done is a separate sub-panel for the shop that can be locked.
    My feeling is that the most dangerous time for the kids is when they are old enough to figure out how to subvert various methods and have something they want to do. In my case, a bunch of us at a friend's house were making a firecracker gun with a piece of pipe for the barrel. He lost his grip on the pipe when the bit caught and we had a spinning propeller that then flew across the shop.
    For younger children remembering to unplug might be good enough but remembering is the hard part. Then there are the drills, routers, portable saws, etc that only require access to a wall receptacle - which means locking storage areas. Locking the whole shop may be the easiest if possible.
    billh
    the_goodfellow likes this.

Comment

Are they allowed in the shop without you ?
      the_goodfellow likes this.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Bill the separate sub panel with a lock is a great idea. Maybe I should put an external light to notify the power is live.

Red I encourage my children to be around but not too close. I've used hand tools up to this point and have been acquiring the tools for a shop. I just need the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From a young age my buddy's three kids (boy and two girls) were in his shop when he was. They each had safety glasses and ear protectors they put on when they went in the door and each had their own little tool box with hammer, nails, glue, screwdrivers, sandpaper, gloves etc, and place to work on their own projects. He kept a big box of blocks and sticks (offcuts) for their use. They all knew not to touch Daddy's machines or tools no matter what. The boy loved stringing extension cords about (had at least half a dozen of his own) plugging them together but never into the wall. Another friend had rifles and his son had his own toy guns and was not allowed to touch daddy's guns. He never did. If taught at a young age what is allowed there isn't going to be any problems. Have an undisciplined kid with no boundaries and you have to lock them out. Set up locks if you want but don't count on them. Teach them rules and behavior first and the locks are there as insurance, hopefully never needed.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by the_goodfellow View Post
            Bill the separate sub panel with a lock is a great idea. Maybe I should put an external light to notify the power is live.

Red I encourage my children to be around but not too close. I've used hand tools up to this point and have been acquiring the tools for a shop. I just need the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Having a light or lights in a suitable place is a great idea. If you had one near the shop exit(s) it would be a reminder to turn off the shop when leaving.
            billh

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X