Sears Craftsman 8" And 10" Radial Arm Saw Safety Recall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears Craftsman 8" And 10" Radial Arm Saw Safety Recall

I was looking for more info for my saw and came across this. I hope you other owners are aware of this as it looks like a big issue.
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01031.html

I have contacted them and am waiting to see if they'll go the long yards and send me the upgrade kit.

Joined this forum just to let you know.
    Keep your digits intact.
    Lyle.

Re: Sears Craftsman 8" And 10" Radial Arm Saw Safety Recall

Originally posted by Lyle View Post
    I was looking for more info for my saw and came across this. I hope you other owners are aware of this as it looks like a big issue.
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01031.html

I have contacted them and am waiting to see if they'll go the long yards and send me the upgrade kit.

Joined this forum just to let you know.
    Keep your digits intact.
    Lyle.

There is a recall/free replacement of guard/table of selected emerson/craftsmen radial arm saws........ I got my kit about a year and a half ago and recall reading postings on this website on how to get it and people's shipping experience ...... it's a heavy package and the shipping carrier, after delivering it to my doorstep for free, sent billing letters which you ignore and eventually the shipper gives up and realizes that they need to collect from emerson...... as I recall the phone contact with Emerson was quite pleasant and quick and I just had to tell them the model number over the phone withot having to send anything in any hard proof.....

good luck

michael

Comment

" The recalled Craftsman® 8-, 8¼-, 9- and 10-inch radial arm saws have a model number beginning with 113"

Just checked and mine is a 12 inch . the SN starts with 113 but I guess it doesn't apply. Thanks or updating us Lyle it was nice of you to take the time to post that.

Phil
      “The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” -Bertrand Russell

Comment

The time/date difference makes things hard for getting info.
        I only found the recall info while looking for other info for my saw.
        (what dado blade to use).

I have left an on-line order which I don't think will work as it is asking for US/Canadian address and phone number details, and also a direct e-mail. So I guess I'll need to wait and see.

Comment

I got the upgrade kit a few years ago, and only installed it this weekend. Free of charge, no shipping charges. I'm having much difficulty in getting the blade guard assembly to fit, other than that everything else is fine. There's an adapter plate that fits on the guard side of the motor, then the new guard assembly is supposed to fit on in a level position...it doesn't. The notch in the adapter plate, when lined up with the notch in the guard, causes the whole guard to be tipped forward at about a 40 degree angle. I'm trying to figure this out right now.

David

Comment

Originally posted by fluggies4 View Post
            I got the upgrade kit a few years ago, and only installed it this weekend. Free of charge, no shipping charges. I'm having much difficulty in getting the blade guard assembly to fit, other than that everything else is fine. There's an adapter plate that fits on the guard side of the motor, then the new guard assembly is supposed to fit on in a level position...it doesn't. The notch in the adapter plate, when lined up with the notch in the guard, causes the whole guard to be tipped forward at about a 40 degree angle. I'm trying to figure this out right now.

David
            Well...I got it figured out! Went back out to the shop after cooling down a bit (this always works). The notch in the adapter is for a reference point to start the guard on the housing. Once you get the guard on roughly in place, you rotate it counterclockwise and the notch rides in behind the corresponding "hump" on the back of the guard and locks in place. Now it's level! Then you tighten up the thumbscrew and all is good! And the new trigger on the handle now works properly to lift the lower clear plastic part of the guard up and away as you make a crosscut.

Comment

Well...I got it figured out! Went back out to the shop after cooling down a bit (this always works). The notch in the adapter is for a reference point to start the guard on the housing. Once you get the guard on roughly in place, you rotate it counterclockwise and the notch rides in behind the corresponding "hump" on the back of the guard and locks in place. Now it's level! Then you tighten up the thumbscrew and all is good! And the new trigger on the handle now works properly to lift the lower clear plastic part of the guard up and away as you make a crosscut.
              Thanks for posting your solution..... I have a recall kit for a Sears 10" RAS from a year or two ago but never did get around to install it.... I must have been waiting for you to post the corrected instructions (smiley)

thanks

michael

Comment

I installed mine recently.
                It's a nice guard and I like it but it's a real PITA to change the blade.
                J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
                Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

Just orderred mine today. I was taken back that they were so easy to deal with. No pushback, now real questioning ... just given them your name, your saw model number, shipping address, and that's is it.

I was looking at the parts that it comes with, and it comes with alot of part. All they are missing is the arm, and motor!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBoxer View Post
                    Just orderred mine today. I was taken back that they were so easy to deal with. No pushback, now real questioning ... just given them your name, your saw model number, shipping address, and that's is it.
                    I had similar support for a recall on a Craftsman shopvac a few months ago. Called, gave them the required info from my vac, and the parts came with excellent instructions on installing the new piece. Similar response for a unit at our church. ...Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBoxer View Post

I was looking at the parts that it comes with, and it comes with alot of part. All they are missing is the arm, and motor!
                      They will ship it right to your door. Don't be surprised if you get a shipping bill a week or two later. Just ignore it. When they don't get paid they will send a bill to Sears. They also told me to ignore a second one if I get it but to call if I got a third and they would sort it out.
                      J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

Originally posted by J.P. Rap View Post
                        I installed mine recently.
                        It's a nice guard and I like it but it's a real PITA to change the blade.
                        I agree. That black plastic guard add-on that they supply for the lower right-hand side makes it so you can't remove the guard unless you take the blade off first.

Comment

I agree. That black plastic guard add-on that they supply for the lower right-hand side makes it so you can't remove the guard unless you take the blade off first.
                          Ya got that right. If it wasn't for that black plastic bracket, it would be a piece o cake to remove the guard. I tried to remove/disconnect it without removing the blade but it just can't be done. I don't know about yours but on mine the end of the arbor is about 1/8" away from the guard wall. That means I can't remove the blade with the guard in place and I can't remove the guard with the blade installed.

When I have some time I Plan on modifying it to make things easier. If I come up with an easy fix, I'll be sure to post some pictures.
                          J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

Comment

Working...
                          X