Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing Protection Ear Muffs

Hello,

I've been using those disposable yellow plugs but would like something more comfortable.

Looking at this ear muff:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...10&cat=1,42207

why do you need to replace the pad every 6 months? How would that differ from these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...09&cat=1,42207

that have no mention of changing pads?

-Paul

Re: Hearing Protection Ear Muffs

Originally posted by pho88 View Post
    Hello,

I've been using those disposable yellow plugs but would like something more comfortable.

Looking at this ear muff:

why do you need to replace the pad every 6 months? How would that differ from these:

-Paul
    Paul,
    Check with Lee Valley. They are pretty good about discussing their products. The cells in the foam likely compress with continued used reducing the effectiveness. A lot of safety equipment has an effective life which comes from industry. I would take the replaceable pad unit over the other. It has a higher noise reduction rating as well.
    I use the ZEM hearing protectors. They don't loose the seal when I turn my head. They have little foam pads which I replace at least once per year.

Don

Comment

I have these and find them pretty good. I got mine from Princess Auto for $19.99 but these Lee Valley ones may be better. Batteries for me seem to be lasting in the 3-4 month range. They let me listen to the radio as I work.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42207,42227

I'd like to try the Ryobi one's at Home Depot as they auto-turn off if not moved in 30 minutes. Right now I occasionally forget to turn mine off and that's got to hurt the batteries being on all night.

Comment

Originally posted by pho88 View Post

Paul, those foam pads have nothing to do with the dB rating. Well, perhaps there is a difference some kind of computer could measure but for a human being the foam's noise reducing value is virtually nil. They are there solely for the comport of your outer ear. With use sweat and dust will make them a little less pleasurable to put on. If your mind is set on the first set then I wouldn't worry about the replacement pads at all. Any foam will do. You can cut the shape of some kind of packaging you get with your next tool, or simply use one of the bathroom sponges, cut to fit. If that fails you can wrap the existing foam pads with some fabric that you could periodically wash.

I wouldn't skimp on the dB rating tjough, so for myself I bought a 3M set rated at 27dB. It's in your Canadian Tire, a few dollars more than LeeValley but between the shipping charges and the 2dB advantage I took a drive to my local CT store. I remember seeing ear muffs rated at 30dB at HD but the price was quite a bit steeper.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

Originally posted by Don Burch View Post
          I use the ZEM hearing protectors. They don't loose the seal when I turn my head. They have little foam pads which I replace at least once per year.
          I have the Zem and find them the most comfortable. you can easily turn your head and don't have any additional bulk. also if you want to take them off, they fit around my neck and don't bother me. They are also rated at -26db so they work exceptionally well.

The foam pads do need to be replaced I find every 6-8 months, but you can reverse them and double the life.

Matt.
          Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

I just became an heavy earplugs user after so many nights of ringing noises in my head. My doctor recommended the number one doctor recommended brand (go figure) which is mack's ear plugs, those foam ones are the best - i would say most brands are similar, this company just carries a wide variety, i also use their silicone and water stem earplugs:
            http://www.macksearplugs.com/product...-foam-earplugs

Comment

I will agree that the expanding foam ear plugs are the best in deadening noise and that is what you want when working with load machines. The down side to them is you can only really use them 2-3 times before they become too fouled and don't work.

If you work in the shop by yourself and don't mind keeping them in all day, then they are perfect. For someone who want's to wear something only when they are using loud equipment, then they tent to become a tedious and expensive proposition. That is the general advantage of the ear-muff or similar systems in that they are easy to take off and put back on without the need to replace. The down side is that they are not nearly as effective.

I don't know if there is a perfect solution.
              Matt

People are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to tell initially which ones are nuts.

Comment

I wear ear plugs too. Usually these ones, or similar:

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B1507

$1.50 and they last for months and months. I had a pair of ear muffs, but the plastic broke right in the middle at the top. They would also crush my safety glass into the side of my head after a while.... maybe I have too big of a melon.

Either way, the ear plugs with the connecting string work pretty good, and are rated for 30 dB.

C
                sigpicClint in London

Comment

I use these myself:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Well...actually similar ones with the digital tuner.

The work great, and the batteries last a surprisingly long time (even if I leave them on by accident overnight!)
                  www.lasallewoodworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckJ View Post
                    I just became an heavy earplugs user after so many nights of ringing noises in my head. My doctor recommended the number one doctor recommended brand (go figure) which is mack's ear plugs, those foam ones are the best - i would say most brands are similar, this company just carries a wide variety, i also use their silicone and water stem earplugs:
                    http://www.macksearplugs.com/product...-foam-earplugs
                    Good tip Chuck. Although I quite like my ZEM, another -6db might be worth pursuing for some situations. I contacted Mack's to get their Canadian distribution chain. Only Cabelas in Winnipeg carry the Ultra Soft Foam plugs NRR 32
                    https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pag...tion=&ID=23480

$5.49/ box of 10 plus $8.95 shipping for 4 boxes Winnipeg to Fort Saskatchewan.

As a check, I went to Acklands Grainger and was able to search hearing protection by NRR value. For NRR 33, there highest rating, there are 23 options (some are the same, different package quantity). They are all the foam plug style and possibly more accessible for most of us as Acklands are well represented in Canada.
                    Cost wise a 200 pack of many styles cost the same as 40 Macks from Winnipeg.

Don
                    Last edited by Don Burch; 07-29-2010, 10:12 AM. Reason: added text

Comment

Paul,

I have the ones you linked to and they lasted a couple years before I smashed them. I never replaced the foam but I did have both pads patched up with duct tape after a year. This was with daily constant use and then stored in a tool bag. I would buy them again as they are also comfy. The ones I use now are not as comfortable.

My next pair will have a mp3 jack though for sure.
                      SPCHT

Comment

Originally posted by matt in golden View Post
                        Paul,

I have the ones you linked to and they lasted a couple years before I smashed them. I never replaced the foam but I did have both pads patched up with duct tape after a year. This was with daily constant use and then stored in a tool bag. I would buy them again as they are also comfy. The ones I use now are not as comfortable.

My next pair will have a mp3 jack though for sure.
                        Matt,
                        I just got my August KMS flyer. They have a 3M MP3 unit on sale for $69.95. Downside is it is only NRR22. I am sure there are others on the market.

If you go this route, make sure the device will protect your ears from you loudest tool. Hearing loss is not repairable.

Don
                        Last edited by Don Burch; 07-31-2010, 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi everyone. It's my first post ever on the forum. I decided to write here instead of starting a new thread. I recently bought an MP3 earmuff (Peltor) and I really enjoy listening to my favorite radio channel. There's a mp3 entry to plug a wire to listen with a mp3 player. I was wondering if there's a way to plug the mp3 to the earmuff with a wireless system. I can't listen to my mp3/hearmuff at job with a wire while doing some job on the saw table. Is there a safe way to listen to mp3 on earmuff with a wireless system?

I hope you have some answers.

Thanks.

Bronzel

Comment

If your ear muffs have FM radio, you could use an FM transmitter to hook up to your MP3 player or anything else that has a headphone jack. Then set your earmuffs to whatever FM station you have configured on the FM transmitter. The sound quality isn't going to be as good as plugging in directly, but it should do the trick.

Comment

You could use one of the tiny MP3 players like the iPod shuffle and fasten it directly to the earmuffs. You'd just have to source a very short 3mm stereo jack extension to hook it up. Very light and out of the way.

AK

Comment

Working...
                              X