Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VFD Question

Originally posted by timberframe View Post

Hi Rod, thanks for chiming in. Will a 4HP drive start a 7.5 HP motor driving a planer head? I understand the feed is seperate so will help with startup and that not all drives are the same, but generally?

B
    Hi Brent, yes it will start the head with ease.

The drive is capable of having the motor start with a pre-determined ramp up time, or ramp up at full drive rating until full speed is achieved. This is a great way to start a 3 phase motor as there are no inrush currents or belt slippages to worry about........Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Should also be noted that a VFD with the Canadian safety certificate does not give the machine one. Any modifications to existing machines require an inspection certificate from Hydro at which time the VFD will be inspected.
      everyone knows real machines are 3 phase. Founding member of the Wadkin blockhead club

jack
      English machines

http://www.youtube.com/user/tool613

Comment

Originally posted by jgarrett forsberg View Post
        Should also be noted that a VFD with the Canadian safety certificate does not give the machine one. Any modifications to existing machines require an inspection certificate from Hydro at which time the VFD will be inspected.
        Jack, unapproved components will need to be replaced with approved components, or the component approved separately at the time.

The lowest cost approval of an un-approved component I've had performed was $179 for the component...........Regards, Rod.
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Thanks all for your replies and advice, I’m not well versed on the electrical side of things and so can get somewhat overwhelmed, it seems to me at least that the VFD approach is the simplest and safest option for me. I’m using the planer at home for hobby so it will not get run often. I will post some photos of the motor tag(s) as requested.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X