Wiring Push Button Switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Push Button Switch

Hello Folks, I just picked up a push button on/off switch at Busy Bee in Dartmouth the other day to replace the toggle switch on my tablesaw. Anyway, I am fairly comfortable with wiring, but have not wired this type of switch before, and there is no schematic on the box. So, is it similar to a light switch, where the neutral runs continuous and the hot wire is broken at the switch? Or is it some other configuration? I would rather get it right the first time than try to "wing it".

Thanks, Steve

Re: Wiring Push Button Switch

Is your saw 120 or 220? Second saws should use a magnectic ( relay ) type switch. Such if the power goes off the saw dose not restart when the power comes back on.

On 220 applications we what to open and close both hot conductors. There have been folks who only open one side of the 220 and then find them selves with 120 hot at the saw all the time.

Greg

Comment

Some switches are bipolar, others unipolar, one from busy-bee I bought was even usable for three phases.

For unipolar, the white (neutral) runs continuous. For bi-polar, white and black are "cut" into the switch. For switches usable for three phases, just use two of them.

Check if there's a line/load written on the switch; if so use "line" to bring your current in and load to bring the current to your motor. If not (like on a usual cheap light switch), you can use whichever side to bring the current in and out.

Did it helps?

Comment

Hi Greg, My saw is a 1 1/2 hp contractor saw, able to run both voltages. I have it wired for 220 volts.

Comment

Hi Ben. My switch has line/load on it, and can be used for single or three phase. How will I wire it?

Steve

Comment

Sounds like you have a magnetic switch that is capable of switching 3 phases. You have your saw wired for 220V operation so you will want to switch both "hots" since you have the capability.

Wire each of the two hot wires to one terminal each on the line side of the switch. This ensures that power is always present to the push-buttons to pull in the relay when you press On. The 3rd Line/Load connections are not used.

Wire each of the two "hot" wires from the motor to one of the Load terminals that correspond to the Line terminals you picked for the power input. Normally, the Line and Load connectors for each of the 3 poles are across from each other. It does not matter which wire goes on which one but since the cable is likely colour-coded, match the colours.

Connect the green or bare safety ground wire from the plug to the ground connection in the switch box. Also, connect the safety ground wire from the motor cable to the same point. The saw will run without this connection but it is very important you have everything grounded in case of an insulation failure in the motor or elsewhere. The safety ground is NOT switched.
            Last edited by billh; 12-12-2007, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Hello Bill. My switch is not a magnetic switch, but would the wiring procedure be the same? Thanks for your reply.

Steve

Comment

What Make/Model# etc

Originally posted by Steve Swantee View Post
                Hello Folks, I just picked up a push button on/off switch at Busy Bee in Dartmouth the other day to replace the toggle switch on my tablesaw.
                Thanks, Steve

Perhaps one of us has the same make/model that we could check ours out and advise...Just a thought....J
                Don't do anything that you're not prepared to explain to a paramedic

Comment

Hi Jim, thanks for your reply. Here is the switch and model #.
                  http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...6&NTITEM=B2561

Steve

Comment

Tought you were talking of a 120V wiring because you did a comparison with a light switch.

billh was talking about the wiring of a magnetic switch, but basically this will be just the same with this switch.

Comment

Hello Bill. My switch is not a magnetic switch, but would the wiring procedure be the same? Thanks for your reply.

Steve
                      My normal advice is to first check out the switch contacts with an ohmmeter to make sure that the terminals do indeed correspond to what you think they are.

I'm assuming you are referring to a regular, manual double-pole, single-throw switch. This means that two conductors are switched and it can be either on or off.
                      If so, the answer is yes. One hot wire to a terminal on each side of switch and the corresponding wire for the motor on the other terminal on the same side. It doesn't matter which terminal the line or load goes to unless marked but you must make sure that each line goes to the terminals that are isolated from each other regardless of the switch position.

A magnetic switch just replaces the manual switch with a relay and a couple of buttons to turn it on or off by energizing the relay coil. It has the advantage of staying off if there is a power failure whereas the manual switch will remain on until somebody turns it off. A caution about magnetic switches is that a sharp bump on the box or even the tool in some cases can cause them to pull-in and start the motor! There was a post about this on WoodCentral the other day.

billh

Comment

Sorry for the confusion Ben, I wasn't thinking straight. I was thinking in terms of 110, but yes, it is 220, and both legs are carrying 110, so the light switch theory would not apply in this case. Thanks for bringing it up so I could correct that.

Steve

Comment

Hi Jim, thanks for your reply. Here is the switch and model #.
                          http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...6&NTITEM=B2561

Steve
                          I installed one of those switches on a spice blender last week. It's not a mag switch. Put the 2 hots on the line side, and the motor on the load side. I found a box to fit at CanTire (grey plastic box with tabs, and cut the tabs off).

Comment

[quote=Ed in Leaside;149218]
                            I installed one of those switches on a spice blender last week.
                            Hi Ed; now what would you be doing with a splice blender? Dumpster diving?:lol:
                            Mack C. in Brooklin ON
                            It feels really great to sell a pen;
                            It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
                            Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
                            "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

Comment

I also installed one of those for Bob in Stoney Creek on his TS.
                              It's just as Ed said. Two hot wires to the line side of the switch and two motor wires to the corresponding load side.
                              Don't froget your ground. If you use a plastic box, make sure the green ground wire is grounded to the saw at some point.
                              Piece-O-cake.
                              J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
                              Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

Working...
                              X