Shop Hoist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Hoist?

My shop is mainly on the second floor of my garage I would love to have a hoist to bring heaver stuff upstairs, I'm actually thinking of something like a railroad up the stairs. I have been looking at hoists, to get an AC one is quite expensive but I have seen DC ones for ATV and 4X4' at quite a reasonable cost. Is there any reason I could not use one of these on a deep cell battery being constanly trickled charge instead of an AC one?
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Shop Hoist?

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
    My shop is mainly on the second floor of my garage I would love to have a hoist to bring heaver stuff upstairs, I'm actually thinking of something like a railroad up the stairs. I have been looking at hoists, to get an AC one is quite expensive but I have seen DC ones for ATV and 4X4' at quite a reasonable cost. Is there any reason I could not use one of these on a deep cell battery being constanly trickled charge instead of an AC one?
    No reason at all. I have a friend who does exactly this.

Comment

How bout the winch on an ATV
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

PA has AC models that come on special sometimes for about 120$ IIRC. they work well for 880 lbs I think.

Comment

I was looking at this one https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-l...ake-68144.html living close to the border has its advantages.
          Jerome
          Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
          Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
            I was looking at this one https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-l...ake-68144.html living close to the border has its advantages.
            With a couple of snatch blocks you could do very safely with a 3500lb model .... $100 to $150 at Princess Auto or Canadian Tire.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

By using a snatch box you double the power but also the time the motor has to run. 12v DC motors do not like to run for long intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                By using a snatch box you double the power but also the time the motor has to run. 12v DC motors do not like to run for long intervals.
                ATV winches do it all the time. For the distance that Jerome is going to be winching stuff, doubling up won't be any challenge at all.

Comment

PA has AC models that come on special sometimes for about 120$ IIRC. they work well for 880 lbs I think.
                  I have one of those to get 'stuff' up to the mezzanine, cable looped 440/880 lb model, running on a barn door track bolted to the ceiling. I've had my 520 lb BMW K75s up there a few times.

Comment

Working...
                  X