Best way to get 220v to the middle of garage shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get 220v to the middle of garage shop

Moving some tools around in the shop and I plan on having my table saw(220v) and jointer/planer(220v) in the middle of my floor space. What would be my best options to get power to them? Extension cord form the wall? Run a 220v outlet to the ceiling and drop it down somehow? Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Best way to get 220v to the middle of garage shop

I use a cord from the wall. That way I could move it around if I wanted. Good Cabtire Cord is exposed laying on the floor. Been there for a long time and no damage at all. Make sure it's longer than you need and heavy gauge too. I could move my saw right out of the shop if I wanted to.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

I prefer drops from the ceiling

Mine run along the same supports that hold my dust collection pipe.

I use mobile carts a lot in my shop so I don't want anything run along the floor.

Nathan

Comment

I seem to end up with enough stuff on the floor to want to put something on it deliberately. Like Nathan, I run my cord along the DC pipe.
        billh

Comment

I used to have air lines and electric cords hanging from the ceiling over work spaces and they got in the way all the time. I think it just depends on how you work. No one way will suit everybody but I think you might be dreaming if you think you're going to have a clear floor all the time in your shop. LOL

If you have any thoughts for soft floor pads to stand on at work stations then you might be able to lay a cord between those soft pads. I did that for a long time. Never tripped once,, but I have tripped over small vacuum hose running to my ROS. It's the smaller extension cords to hand held power tools that cause the most grief.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

In some situations it's great to have ceiling drops. Just consider that at any at any moments notice, you really need to be able to disconnect.

A lot of machines that have overhead wiring have 2-3 loops of wiring (SOOW) in a zip tie at the ceiling for the strain relief, a twist lock plug reachable less then 72" and a magnetic motor starter physically mounted to the machine.

Physical disconnects are a knife switch, plug and outlet, breaker panel within eyesight.

In the near future, I personally want to have an overhead drop for my vertical bandsaw which is in the middle my shop. It's right between my two garage doors. I'm going to run wiring to a junction box and then have a drop twit twist lock. The bandsaw only has a 1/2 hp motor. You need to be mindful of the size of the motor.

Technically, any motor that exceeds 3 hp should be hardwired. Not many Plugs and outlets are rated for above 3 hp Motors as a physical disconnect.
            Last edited by Matt Matt; 09-11-2019, 01:33 AM.
            For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I use welder plugs for 220 and power bars feed off the sides of my benches and work stations. Most power bars have a switch you can hit to turn power off. If the power bars overload for any reason they trip themselves off without affecting the breakers in my panel and the on off switches work great for things like a router table switch too. Remotes on your belt are great ideas too and I have an air switch from Lee Valley to my drill press that I can step on to start and stop. There are lots of different methods you can use.
              "Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, I think for now i'm going to use extension cords and make it more permanent when I know i'll keep the machines in the same spot

Comment

Nothing wrong with extension cords as long as you use big guage wire. Too many of us overthink this and then plug in a 12 foot cord running to our Random orbit sander and drag it across the floor with an 1/14 vac hose attached to the sander. Makes me laugh at those who condemn tripping hazards. lol
                  "Do it Right!"

Comment

Working...
                  X