Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Generator run shop

From the CEC 2018

28-308 Overload protection not required (see Appendix B)
    Overload protection shall not be required for motors complying with any of the following:
    a) a manually started motor rated at 1 hp or less that is continuously attended while in operation and
    is on
    i) a branch circuit having overcurrent protection rated or set at not more than 15 A; or
    ii) an individual branch circuit having overcurrent protection as required by Table 29 if it can be
    readily determined from the starting location that the motor is running;

Click image for larger version

Name:	table 29.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1260632
    So, going back to the original question of using a manual starter with no overload protection, it is OK as long as the motor is 1HP or less and is on a 15 amp circuit OR a larger circuit (250% of full load current) where the operator can tell if the motor is running.

For the 3HP Tablesaw, there is no weasel clause and some sort of overload protection is required, be it in the form of a tightly sized feeder breaker or a separate overload device.

In the case of my Laguna bandsaw, it is rated at 1.75 HP, and does not have any overload protection, so how are they circumventing the code requirement? Assuming it is on a 15 amp, 115 volt circuit, that is likely close enough to protect the motor. But if it is connected to 230 volts, it draws only 7.5 amps and a 15 amp circuit would be 200% of its rating. If it was less that 1 HP then no problem due to clause 28-308 above, but it is not less than 1 HP. By code then we would be required to add overload protection that is proven to be sized adequately to protect the motor.

Does this mean that anyone using a Laguna 1412 Bandsaw on a 15 amp 230 volt circuit is not in compliance with the code? Does Laguna have some special CEC exemption in Part 2 (equipment approval) that we are not aware of?
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Randy, clause ii gives you a breaker at 250% for your band saw on 240 volts, which means a 15 amp circuit would be fine if it is a supervised run condition, which your band saw would be.

The issue as you're aware is if you plugged it into to a 20 ampere circuit.

It's funny because I am involved in inspections on wood working machinery, however nothing as small as 1 HP so overload is always a requirement......Rod.
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Rod,
        I don't understand your last sentence (..1 HP so overload is always required...) or perhaps I don't understand the code wording provided above. Doesn't clause ii allow a 2 HP (9A, 230V) to be run in attended operation on a 15A breaker without overload protection?

Thanks,
        billh
        Last edited by billh; 12-02-2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Just an update on the table saw , itís currently wired directly to the breaker without the knife switch and yesterday I had the opportunity to cut a fair amount of 4/4 walnut which it ripped through no problem . Although after some tension bound the wood on the blade Iím going to install the knife switch and look for an after market roving knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dchaist View Post
            Just an update on the table saw , itís currently wired directly to the breaker without the knife switch and yesterday I had the opportunity to cut a fair amount of 4/4 walnut which it ripped through no problem . Although after some tension bound the wood on the blade Iím going to install the knife switch and look for an after market roving knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Are you familiar with a short fence?

Comment

Working...
            X