how to wire extra 240v outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to wire extra 240v outlet

Can you use pigtails off a existing 240v outlet for a new outlet? Currently I have 4 240 outlets on two ciruits. My TS and Jointer on 'A' and DC on 'B'. I just purchased a 15" planer that runs on 240 so can I just pigtail off 'A' to add another outlet? This is one person hobby shop. Thanks Vince.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: how to wire extra 240v outlet

Yes. Make sure the new outlet matches the ampere rating of the existing circuit.

Comment

I have 4 different 240 volt machine and a 240 volt heater and it's a hassle swapping plugs all the time (especially when you hit the start button and realize it was the wrong plug)!

If I'm understanding this right.. are you guys saying it's legal to wire in more than one outlet on the same circuit? The electrician who I hired to set up my garage with 240 said that it wasn't allowed. Was he wrong?

I would love to add another outlet or two if it's indeed safe, legal, and to code.

Comment

There is no issue with adding another receptacle like klassenl stated just remember if it is a 20 amp 240v circuit then only a receptacle rated for 20amp 250v not a 15 amp 250v receptacle. As you stated you are only one person and if you have two circuits you will be running one item per circuit you won't have any issues now if you try to operate more then one item on the same circuit you will probably have issues with the breaker tripping.

Slanted7 sound like your machines and heater take different plugs because they have different load ratings for example machine #1 maybe 15 amp machine #2 20 amp and heater 30 amp. All requiring different size wire, breaker and receptacles using say a heater on wiring meant for only 15 amp is a fire hazard especially if breaker is changed to accommodate heater. The breaker is sized to protect wiring and device (receptacle)
        If you want me to make it i need this new tool first

Comment

Thanks everyone. New planer arrives Tuesday

Comment

There is nothing wrong with having more than one receptacle on a 240V line except for things like stoves, dryers and water heaters which require a dedicated circuit. But the outlets and wire have to be adequate for the breaker rating or vice-versa depending on how you look at it.

While you are a one man shop remember that the dust collector and the in-use tool have to run at the same time so the current capacity of the circuit has to support it. I notice for some 15" planers it seems you might get by with a 20 amp circuit but 30 or 40A is recommended. So with a dust collector on the circuit you are looking at more than just a 15 or 20A circuit it seems. Obviously, see what the manual for your new planer says. The recommended ratings are to support the startup surge and full-load operation. While the startup surge is what it is, most of us rarely use the tools at full-load but it can happen.

billh

Comment

My shop has 2 circuits, a 15A 240V circuit for the dust collector and a 20A 120/240V circuit for all other machines.

It also has a separate circuit for lighting.

The receptacles are in quantity 4, 4 inch square boxes with a 240V duplex and 120V receptacle.....Rod
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                My shop has 2 circuits, a 15A 240V circuit for the dust collector and a 20A 120/240V circuit for all other machines.

It also has a separate circuit for lighting.

The receptacles are in quantity 4, 4 inch square boxes with a 240V duplex and 120V receptacle.....Rod
                Do you use 3 or four prong plugs for the 240v?

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

Do you use 3 or four prong plugs for the 240v?
                  Hi Rob, standard 6-20 2 pole plus ground.

I don’t have any 240 volt machines that require a neutral....

Regards, Rod

Comment

is it ''legal'' to use a 4 prong twist lock for a three prong installation? I assume the receptacle must be wired for the 4 conductor, but the power cord?

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                      is it ''legal'' to use a 4 prong twist lock for a three prong installation? I assume the receptacle must be wired for the 4 conductor, but the power cord?
                      Rob, if I understand you correctly, the receptacle must be wired correctly, however the cord cap can use any combination of poles, with the exception of ground of course.....Regards, Rod

Comment

How does the current code apply with regards to AFCIs if you have a multiwire circuit with common neutral and both 240V and 120V receptacles?

Comment

Working...
                        X