Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Me Wire Up This Motor

Hello forumites!

Had a great (6 ft away) visit with Peter tonight as he dropped off this shiny new motor for me! I had my scarf ready to take a selfie with him, but forgot!

But I'm still happy because now I have this new motor.

Problem is now I have to wire it in. It's been years since I wired in a motor, and the only reason I got it done back then is because kind members here said things like "connect t1 to #2" and stuff like that.

I'm hoping we can do a repeat performance, yes? Please?

I'll past some pics of the motor, and the only switch the store had in stock.

I can go out tomorrow to ideal supply - the best store in town for wire and plugs - but what kind of wire do I need? I remember the nice rubberized stuff is called "cabtire" but what size will I need?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_1914432.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	1284479Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_1915031.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	1284476Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_1914036.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	1284478Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200521_1914178.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1284477
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Please Help Me Wire Up This Motor

First, is the switch rated for at least 1 HP? It is a 2 pole switch, so it's good for 240V. A good cord to use would be SOOW, 3 conductor, #14, assuming the length is not too long. The wiring diagram shows how to connect it for the voltage desired. At the switch, connect the black to one pole & the white to the other. If the switch terminals are labelled T1, T2, L1 & L2, the incoming cord connects to the L terminals & the motor connects to the T terminals.

I see the numbers 1, 3, 4 & 6 on the switch, so you'll need to refer to the documentation that came with it, or use a meter to see what connects to what.

Comment

Thanks Frank. The switch came with zero paperwork, but it says it's rated for 2hp 20amp.

Do I have to wire this motor for 240? It's not the end of the world if I do, but I have a 120 plug right there already, whereas I'd have to run a new 240 if I needed that.

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
        Hello forumites!
        I had my scarf ready to take a selfie with him, but forgot!
        Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
        "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Thanks Frank. The switch came with zero paperwork, but it says it's rated for 2hp 20amp.

Do I have to wire this motor for 240? It's not the end of the world if I do, but I have a 120 plug right there already, whereas I'd have to run a new 240 if I needed that.
          Hi Ryan, for 120 volts please use the wiring diagram for "Lo Volts" (seems to be a shortage of "w" at the Dayton factory).

The white wire on your cord would go to T2/T4/T5 directly and the black wire would go into the switch on one pole, and out of the switch to P1

Motor wires P2/T3/T8 go into a Marrette with no other connection.

Obviously the green ground wire goes to your switch box and the motor ground connection.

Regards, Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

120V is no problem, but a 15A circuit will just barely be sufficient if the motor will be running at full load. If it's a high inertia load, it may trip out on start up because of extended start time. If that happens, you can put a breaker that is up to 250% of the motor full load amps, so 30 A in this case. BUT, if you do that you can't leave the receptacle in place; you must hard wire the motor to the circuit and there can be no other receptacles on that circuit. The motor can be the only load on that circuit.

To determine the terminals on the switch, use an ohm meter to see which ones make contact when the switch is turned on.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks guys, that worked perfectly! I'll post some pics tomorrow.
              thanks for your help!

Comment

Well, as promised, she purrs like a kitten! I can't believe how much quieter it is, and it cuts dados so clean and easily now. I even noticed an improvement with the dust collection - it's hard to seal up these contractor saws - I have a big gulp on the bottom of this one, but even then, I always had stray Shavings coming out the front through the gaps around the bevel controls, and after any serious amount of dado'ing I'll always have a pile of sawdust on the floor directly in front of the saw. But so far it seems there is significantly fewer Shavings coming out the front - something about the speed of the blade must change their trajectory. Either way, I'm very happy with this, thanks for your help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200524_1811217.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	1284855Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200524_1811292.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	1284856

Comment

Glad the mission was a success.