Can't find 220v plug...need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find 220v plug...need help

I am looking for a 220V plug so that I can make my own extension cord for my TS.
    The plug that came with my TS is too short so I have been advised to make my own extension cord. Problem is, I can't find the actual plug anywhere. The factory one has been molded to shape and I can't take it apart to re use it.
    It looks like a "normal" 110v plug in terms of where the hot and ground ends are located. So it has the male ground and 2 hot male ends (ha hahaha, inseret perverted joke here....), but instead of the hot ends running parallel to one another (like a standard 110V plug), they are turned 90 degrees and they run in line with one another.

Any idea what this plug is called, or where I can get one?

Re: Can't find 220v plug...need help

That's a standard 15 amps 220v plug. You'll find some that you can wire yourself at Home Depot, Rona, etc. They are usually yellow.
    -------------------------------
    Mathieu in Gatineau

Comment

That's what it usually looks like:

Mathieu in Gatineau

Comment

Or get the better black one. If you are using the cord in a garage, you will neewd insulated 12/2 cable also.
        CHEERS
        Don B

Comment

Chris,

It may help in your calling arround for this.
          The plug is a NEMA 6-15P

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Thanks guys.
            I am running 12/3 cable to my panel for the TS designated outlet and will use it also for my extension cord.
            Is this OK?

It will go to a 20amp breaker on the panel....
            Does this all sound cool?

Just getting the feel of electrical work here....asking lots of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Yarish View Post
              Thanks guys.
              I am running 12/3 cable to my panel for the TS designated outlet and will use it also for my extension cord.
              Is this OK?

It will go to a 20amp breaker on the panel....
              Does this all sound cool?

Just getting the feel of electrical work here....asking lots of questions.
              CHris:

Just check the plate on the motor. If you need 10 put in 10 -- you don't need to go to the expense of a 20 amp dual breaker if you don't need it. But if you are using 12/3 that's fine. Kind of a personal decision. :-) If you have a mag switch on the motor -- whatever exceeds the rating of the motor up to 20Amp is fine.

Let us know the colour and odour of any smoke so we can compare disasters. ;-)
              ---
              Will

“There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.” —- Mark Twain

Comment

So, I can overdo it with 12/3 cable and a 20amp breaker?...I just don't want to be below the machine recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Yarish View Post
                  So, I can overdo it with 12/3 cable and a 20amp breaker?...I just don't want to be below the machine recommendations.

Hi Chris

To answer your question as to wire size and breaker size, we need to know the full load current of the motor on your TS.

But you can figure it out too.

Breaker size is not to exceed 250% of the FLA. OESC 28-200

or for example the FLA of the motor is 10A, then 10 x 2.5 = 25A
                  since you can't buy a 25A breaker, you would use a 20A breaker.

Wire size is 125% of the FLA of the motor(OESC 28-106) or in this case 10 x 1.25 = 12.5A. So you would use #14.

Oh, don't forget your permit.

http://www.esasafe.com/GeneralPublic/dew_001.php?s=1

Mike
                  Last edited by Mike in London; 03-06-2008, 08:11 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

I'll throw a wrench in this thread...

The Nema 6-15P plug is rated at 15 amps. The receptacle that you will have to plug this into is also rated at 15 amps.

According to the code, you can't wire a 15 amps receptacle on anything above a 15 amps breaker... You don't want the receptacle (socket) to burn down before the breaker trips.

So what you need is:

-2 pole 15 amps breaker (for 240volts)
                    -14/2 wire from the breaker to receptacle (red wire with red and black conductors)
                    -a Nema 6-15R receptacle
                    -a Nema 6-15P plug
                    -a flexible 14/3 wire from the plug to your motor

For the wire, it's OK if you go bigger (12). For the breaker however you shouldn't unless you change the plug and receptable to an appropriately rated one (NEMA 6-20 for 20 amps).
                    Mathieu in Gatineau

Comment

12/3 required for 240
                      CHEERS
                      Don B

Comment

Nop, 14 if fine. It's the amperage that determines the wire size, not the voltage.
                        Mathieu in Gatineau

Comment

Originally posted by MathieuB View Post
                          I'll throw a wrench in this thread...

The Nema 6-15P plug is rated at 15 amps. The receptacle that you will have to plug this into is also rated at 15 amps.

According to the code, you can't wire a 15 amps receptacle on anything above a 15 amps breaker... You don't want the receptacle (socket) to burn down before the breaker trips.

So what you need is:

-2 pole 15 amps breaker (for 240volts)
                          -14/2 wire from the breaker to receptacle (red wire with red and black conductors)
                          -a Nema 6-15R receptacle
                          -a Nema 6-15P plug
                          -a flexible 14/3 wire from the plug to your motor

For the wire, it's OK if you go bigger (12). For the breaker however you shouldn't unless you change the plug and receptable to an appropriately rated one (NEMA 6-20 for 20 amps).

Hi Mathieu

The rules are different for motors, so according to code, it's the way I stated it.

Mike
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike in London View Post
                            The rules are different for motors, so according to code, it's the way I stated it.
                            Hi Mike,

I think we are making 2 different points in our posts. They are not contradicting each other.

You are giving information on how to properly size the wire and breaker based on motor draw.

In my post, I'm pointing out that the plug/receptacle he his planning to use (Nema 5-15) is rated at 15 amps and should not be used on a circuit with a 20amps breaker.
                            Mathieu in Gatineau

Comment

Originally posted by MathieuB View Post
                              Hi Mike,

I think we are making 2 different points in our posts. They are not contradicting each other.

You are giving information on how to properly size the wire and breaker based on motor draw.

In my post, I'm pointing out that the plug/receptacle he his planning to use (Nema 5-15) is rated at 15 amps and should not be used on a circuit with a 20amps breaker.
                              OK, here's a suggestion, how be we let Chris tell us the FLA and voltage of his TS motor, then we can build it from the breaker to the TS, including cord caps.

Mike
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X