Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my meter reading 0 voltage across 2 hot legs of a double pole breaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my meter reading 0 voltage across 2 hot legs of a double pole breaker?

I'm installing a new 30 Amp 220V 1ph circuit for a table saw. I have a double pole breaker with 2 hots and a ground. The ground wire is continuous to the saw and grounded in the box.

My meter reads 110v hot to ground on both legs but 0 across the 2 hots and my saw won't start. I have power going to the magnetic starter but she won't fire up.

In the panel on the other side I have 3 220v circuits wired exactly the same and I get 220 across the hot legs on all three breakers and machines run fine on them.

I swapped out the offending breaker for a brand new one, same deal. I put a second double pole breaker on the same side of the panel I'm wiring and I get 110v hot to ground but again I get 0v across the hots.

I get 220 across the hots at the bus bar.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Re: Why is my meter reading 0 voltage across 2 hot legs of a double pole breaker?

Re: Why is my meter reading 0 voltage across 2 hot legs of a double pole breaker?

I'll betcha you have a Federal panel......am I right?

If I am, You have both terminals sharing the same leg, so you'll have to move the breaker up or down one slot.
    I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Shervill View Post
      I'll betcha you have a Federal panel......am I right?

If I am, You have both terminals sharing the same leg, so you'll have to move the breaker up or down one slot.
      Yessiree I do. I'm going to try that right now. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dave_k View Post
        Yessiree I do. I'm going to try that right now. Thanks!
        Believe me, you are not the first to run into this with Federal panels.....they are nice, but man can they be counter-intuitive to put breakers into.
        I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

I just moved everything down a slot and it works fine. Thanks again Ryan

Comment

Awesome Glad it was an easy fix.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
            X