Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop electrical

Hello everyone,
    Well, I've got most of the electrical wiring just about completed in my shop. Here are the circuits, and I'll see if I can post pictures later(actually I've never posted picts on the forum, so I have to find out how to do it):
    • 60 A, 16 ckt panel, and I'm using mini breakers, which doubles the number.
    • One circuit supplies 8-110V/15A receptacles.
    • 3-110 V/20A receptacles on another ckt.
    • Over the main bench will be 4 circuits, each on their own breaker. They supply 2-110 volt/15A receptacles and 2-110V/20A receptacles.
    • One circuit 220V/20A each for the table saw, jointer, band saw, and dust collector.
    • The lighting will be on its own circuit and I'm using a 3 way switch for both entrances.
    • One 110V/15A for the air compressor.
    • One 110V/15A for the air cleaner receptacle(mounted in the ceiling), and that will be switched as well.
    Thanks to so many pointers from you guys before I started. The 60 amp feed from the main panel will be a lockable type breaker, and I have a 60 A breaker in the sub panel as well. Someone mentioned about a phone line, which I have not done and am debating it.
    Well what do you folks think? Again the shop is in my basement. Am I missing anything?

Regards,
    Dan P.

Re: Workshop electrical

Dan looks wonderful, can you do my shop, LOL

Wonderful plan Dan
    CHEERS
    Don B

Comment

I wouldn't be without a phone line in the shop; I consider it being part of the safety equipment to permit easier communication in case of an accident. I have an intercom to the upstairs as well for both convenience and safety.

billh

Comment

Hi Dan

Sounds good to me, lots of room to grow as well.

Bill's suggestion of a phone line is good as well.

Mike
        Mike

Comment

I have only one hardwired phone in my whole house. I have been using cordless phones for years with good success. I currently have a cordless system with a base and three handsets. You can transfer calls between the handsets and also use the whole system as an intercom. I just take a handset to the shop with me. This technology has become incredibly cheap in the past couple of years. You can go into Costco on any day of the week and find a three- or four-handset system, with all the capabilities of a small-business PBX, for under $200.

For the same reason - wireless technology - I didn't bother to run a computer line to the shop, either. I have a router that's wireless-capable so if I ever decide to stick one of my computers in the shop I'll just do a wireless connection.

...ken...

Comment

Hello Ken,
            It's not a big job to pull in the phone line. Again, I'm leaving the ceiling open so I can pull in extra wires if needed. Like most people I have one of those wireless phones and was using it in the shop while I was working. But I guess there's nothing like a hard wired phone attached to the wall, you're never misplacing it.

Dan P.

Comment

I have an old rotary phone in the shop. You know, one of the big black ones that's bolted to the wall and the handset weighs about 10 lbs. Unfortunatly it can only be used for incoming calls. I like it so it's staying.

I also have the cordless phone/intercom system. It's great when Im out in the shop or in the yard. If I need to call to wife I just press a button and it pages the other handset. It's great when supper's ready too. I hate being late for supper.
              Last edited by J.P. Rap; 03-31-2007, 01:20 PM.
              J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
              Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Comment

I would give my eye tooth, and maybe even another body part or two to have a shop with dedicated power like that, sounds very nice indeed! Sure beets running an extension cord out to the garage and having to plug and unplug everytime you use a different tool
                Dan

All spelling mistakes are the sole property of their owner, but feel free to use them yourselves, as I like to share

Comment

Hi JP,
                  That certainly brings back a bit of nostalgia. I remember those ones, they weigh a ton. Interesting though, I saw in one of the woodworking magazines about setting up shop, where they recommended wiring in a phone as well as a beacon (like a strobe light) that would flash when a call came in. Good for the noise.

D.P.

Comment

Hey Cowinacape,
                    It's not hard when you have a plan in place. Of course my basement is unfinished and when you start out with the bare studs, it makes it all the easier. Of course, again, I posted a thread before I started and got some good advice from many people. Always good to talk with those who travelled the road before you.

Dan P.

Comment

Working...
                    X