FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Remote control switch

Graham Turnbull Guest

Default Remote control switch

Does anyone know where to find a 110V remote control switch for a 3/4 HP dust collector? I am not talking about the ones you have to wire into the wall and plug the receiver into another socket to send the signal through the house wiring - Just a simple one that plugs into a wall or extension cord then you can plug the machine into. I ordered one from Langevin & Forest in Montreal but that was three weeks ago (not too impressed with their delivery time or their inability to communicate to tell me it's probably back order). Would rather find another supplier and cancel the L&F order.

Default Re: Remote control switch

If it does not draw over 8amps you could go to what used to Radio Shack. I saw one in there for about $30.00

All the best

Stephen Leadbeater

Hi Graham,

Have you called them to see if it's in? More than once I've ordered something from them and waited for a call only to find on my next visit that it's been there for a while.

Brent

Graham Turnbull Guest

Default Remote control switch

It should arrive in the mail, and yes I called a week ago and they said it might be in stock this week. On the website it said it was in stock, otherwise I would not have ordered it. L&F certainly don't have the Lee Valley customer touch.

Default Not Even Close To It Graham *NM*

Real Name
    Bob DeWolfe

I use a remote for my DC that I picked up at HD. It was with the outdoor timers.
    I think this was about twenty dollars and it work great for me.

Canadian Tire sells one for about 20 bucks as well. I have one on my DC and it works great.

Dan

I second the CT recommendation. I've been using one for about 3 years now. No problems at all.

Dave D. from Ottawa Guest

I've been using one from Busy Bee Tools for a few years ... works great
    [REMOTE SW. FOR D/COLLECTORS 110V 15AMP. Item No: CT075]

I picked mine up at all in one tools in mississauga good for 2 different tools at once.. I hooked up my d/c and my stereo...works great

11. Default Re: Remote control switch

I picked one up at Home Hardware a year ago for less than 20 bucks. Designed for lights but it's done a good job on my air cleaner for a year.

Rick

Randy in Calgary, AB Guest

Default Stephen.........

Those sort of switches cannot handle motor loads - too much inrush current on startup. Any switch you use must be "horsepower rated" for motor duty.

Cheers

Randy

Ron near Windsor Guest

A word of caution. I have one of the cheapie remote switches and found out the usual (unexpected) way that it's default position is "ON". There had been a brief power outage in my absence and I returned home to find my dust collector humming away. Fortunately I hadn't been away long and no harm was done. A magnetic remote is now on my short list, meanwhile I try to remember to turn the dust collector off at the motor before leaving the shop. Before you buy any remote, verify the default position.

James A. in Halifax Guest

I have mine pluged into a normal 110v socket that is specially wired to two (can be more or less) AC electrical boxes with standard on/off AC switches and conveniently located in my shop. When I want to turn it on I just "hit the switch"!! Actually one is on ceiling with a 12" wood ruler attached to the switch.Works the same as a light switch at the top and bottom of a stair step...J

Bodger (Toronto, Ontario) Guest

Graham:

I suspect that you are referring to the X-10 type of unit that comes with a duplex wall outlet. I wired mine into an electrical box with a short cord and plug and can plug it into any outlet. This was easier than trying to install it in the wall and provides greater flexibility.

Mine is over ten years old and working just fine.

Bodger

It is a standard 110v AC duplex receptacle wired out to two boxes with standard AC light switches. As mentioned it is the same set up as a light switch at the top and bottom of stair steps controlling a light bulb ---in this case a plug

Bodger (Toronto, Ontario) Guest

James:

I understand fully what you are talking about.

Unfortunately you did not read that I was addressing my comments to Graham and his situation and was not commenting on yours.

Bodger

Default Re: Sorry!!!!Remote control switch *NM*