FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Plans for Cremation Urns

Default Plans for Cremation Urns

Hi,
    I am looking for information on cremation urns. I plan on making one for my future use ( a long time from now, I hope) out of wood. I know they are sized at about 1 cu.in. / pound of person. Do they require a liner or are they just a fancy box? I have Doug Stowe's books on box making so I have a lot of ideas for boxes. Ideas and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, JG

2. Thread Continues Below...

Hi,

I made one out of oak for my dad 2 years ago when he passed away.

The only requirements, aside from size, is that it closes once the ashes are inside (they put the ashes in a plastic bag).

Mine had a bottom closing "plate" (3/16 Luan) with 4 little brass screws.

Regards,
    Marcel
    Marcel, Longueuil (Qc)
    http://www.atbq.qc.ca
    - Any married man should forget his mistakes, there's no use in two people remembering the same thing.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Marcel:

That's interesting. Too bad we didn't touch on that during our meeting this morning. My wife has been after me to make some. So far I have resisted in case one is for ME.

John

John watch your back and too a search on any new insurance policys...LOL :lol:

250 cu inches is a rough standard for volume.

8 by 6 by 4in { L*W*H } is a common size for the plastic container that some ashes will come in.

There are other size plastic containers, and some use plastic bags, so it's best to check with the local funeral home and see what they use.

Chimo Les
    Close enough only counts with atomic bombs.
    Spelling only counts in chemistry.

Check the archives under morbid subject -urns- there was a series of posts some time ago on this subject. Can't find it myself but I've had very poor luck on archive searches.

8. Thread Continues Below...

Here you go JG

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/p...p?mode=results

Didn't work the way I planned. Just type in Cremation Urns on the first line and submit. I got about a dozen results.
    Brent

SPCHT

Thanks to all. I will check with the Crematorium to find out what their standard size of interior container is and go from there. Cheers, JG

Default Urns

I recently adapted an ornate box for that purpose. It was from plans in an CHW Oct. 2005 (the spice cabinet) without the drawers etc. It turned out very nice and my sister loved it. Usually the remains are contained in a sealed bag. My sister then put tham in a nice velvet bag and then into the box.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice, Dave. Did you burn the car into the panel? How is the door held closed? Does it close permanently (eg. screws somewhere)?

...ken...

Here are the pictures of the one I made.
    The wood is Oak, and the finish is Beeswax over Watco lacquer.

Urn

Carved Cross Detail

Bottom Detail Inside

Bottom Detail Closed

Regards,
    Marcel
    Marcel, Longueuil (Qc)
    http://www.atbq.qc.ca
    - Any married man should forget his mistakes, there's no use in two people remembering the same thing.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

14. Thread Continues Below...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Regina
    Very nice, Dave. Did you burn the car into the panel? How is the door held closed? Does it close permanently (eg. screws somewhere)?

...ken...
    The car was done with a rotory tool and then painted black and sanded off
    The hinges are LV knife hinges that are set in flush
    http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41241,41267

The door is held closed with LV bullet catch. They are just drilled and pushed in. The ball is spring loaded.
    http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41419,41454

The hardware was a little pricey but necessary for what I wanted.

For general info. The top, sides, trim, door rail/stiles are cherry, the door insert and other dark trim is walnut, the back is a piece of 1/4 sawn oak I had and the base is actually birch which blended in nice. The finish is cira 1850 oil/varnish mix.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Plans for Cremation Urns

My Dad is a finish carpenter and built the urn that holds my grandparents ashes. My parents treasure it and it's nice because it gave my Mom the option of fine tuning what she wanted. Where my grandfather passed away first, my grandmother requested that the urn be big enough to hold both of their ashes. What we're looking at now is getting it laser engraved or somehow get a design that I came across on the top of the urn. http://www.evrmemories.com/cherry-au...-p/evr5103.htm My question is how much does that disturb the contents of the urn? Do the ashes have to be removed? Is this a send away service? I couldn't tell from the picture too much but it doesn't look like an inlay, it looks to be part of the surface of the urn. My Mom's birthday is in August and if I can find a way to get it done and have their names and dates of birth/death engraved on the urn surface, I'd like to. Thoughts?