FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Cyclone separator????

Default Cyclone separator????

I have the same problem many of you probably have when dimentioning rough stock. My dust collector bag fills up in 20 minutes and it is a major pain in the a$$ to remove the filter bag, then the plastic bag then dumping the shavings and putting the whole thing back together again.

I am intrigued by the cyclone separator (cycloneseparator.com) @ 169.00US.

Not sure if there is a dealer in Canada or if we have to buy directly from the manufacturer.

Does anyone own one? Have experience with one?

I dunno... The whole thing looks somewhat amateurish, but the prices are very good.

I was planning on building a cyclone based on Bill Pentz' plans, but I just don't have the time. So I've decided to bite the bullet and order a ClearVue cyclone. This one has all the features that maximize airflow and separation, and is reputed to be the best design out there. At at $430 US (plus taxes and UPS "brokerage theft") it ain't cheap, but on top of being excellent it has that transparent cool factor...

DC

I've got the same problem. When I use my planner or jointer it runs through one of these garbage can separators. Bought the top from LV and the 55-gallon plastic drum from Rust Check. Large chips fall into the drum. Total cost probably $60. Not terribly elegant but servers me well.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg in Kingston; 07-25-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Greg,

I am considering that option....
    Did you notice a loss of pressure when adding that Lee valley cyclone top to your system..... How does it seal around the top of the drum?

Talking

I built Bill Pentz's cyclone as a separator for my really old 3hp Grizzly 4 bagger. The sheet metal cost $50. To cut down on the physical labour of cutting the heavy galv. metal by hand, I used air powered snips ( fantastic ) and had the heating dealer I bought the metal from roll and fold the parts, which only took 10 minutes. A few pop rivits and solder, had it done in about 8 hours. I have a 6" pipes to the DC and in the shop, the piping is 6" coming in. The cyclone bottom is fastened to a 2x2 ft melamine sheet. Sitting in a corner, the melamine is strapped in the corner, so when I pull the can out, the cyclone doesn't fall. To save space in the small shop, the 175 pound Grizzly DC is mounted on the wall about 7 ft off the floor on shop made brackets .As a pre-separator, the cyclone works really good. Someday I may get a larger garbage can.IMG_2676-1_1_1-1.jpg My snap lock piping system may not be the most efficent, but works for me.

hobby woodworking since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by pickeringwoodworker
    Greg,

I am considering that option....
    Did you notice a loss of pressure when adding that Lee valley cyclone top to your system..... How does it seal around the top of the drum?
    There are some losses but since my runs are fairly short it doesn't make a significant difference. As far as the top goes the vacuum holds the top and when the system is running you can't budge the top.

Greg

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Greg in Kingston
    There are some losses but since my runs are fairly short it doesn't make a significant difference. As far as the top goes the vacuum holds the top and when the system is running you can't budge the top.

Greg
    DITTO on the LV product with a proper drum.
    Don't try to use the large lid on a garbage can...royal PITA.
    I have both the large and small. Large on free 45G plastic drum (steel scrap dealers usually give them away) and small one (2-1/2") portable on garbage can hooked up to shop-vac

Cool

I have a plastic lid/barrel preseparater and find the only thing easier is the emptying of the barrel instead of a bag. It is hooked into a 2hp DC, 5" from DC to seperater then 5"to main line which is 10ft then changes at the Y to 4" to each machine thru out the shop approx 40ft total ducting. With the separater I did notice a substantial drop in suction at each mach. The other problem was that I would get the barrel 1/3 full and the DC would suck it dry so I was back to emptying the bags again........pain. Someday when time and money come together I'll have a Cyclone.
    Last edited by Zibby in Brantford; 08-08-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Zibby... Good to see you around.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Red face ClearVue purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Denis Chénard in Ottawa
    I dunno... The whole thing looks somewhat amateurish, but the prices are very good.

I was planning on building a cyclone based on Bill Pentz' plans, but I just don't have the time. So I've decided to bite the bullet and order a ClearVue cyclone. This one has all the features that maximize airflow and separation, and is reputed to be the best design out there. At at $430 US (plus taxes and UPS "brokerage theft") it ain't cheap, but on top of being excellent it has that transparent cool factor...

DC
    Hey Denis, have you ordered your cyclone yet. I have had Bill's cyclone on my to-do list for 3 years now. I want to get at it but time is the issue as well. are you considering the whole kit and kaboodle or are you building the blower? I have the motor and fan from the group purchase way back when but......
    My other issue is the height, I will have to go with a side push or pull set-up. I know push is better for efficiency but the thought of the crap I end up sucking up banging on the blades makes me cringe.
    I should contact ClearVue about just supplying the seperator, maybe when I get roundtoit.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    How easy I find, to make the simple, complicated!

Default Lee Valley Solution

I have also used the Lee Valley separator for some time and am happy with it and feel it is great value for the money. Having the material collected into a plastic 55 gallon barrel is also great, simply load it on my truck and haul the material away.

Works well with what I have for tools.

Default cyclone collector

I tried it with mt Craftman va at 6.5 hp and 317 km output and the can just crushes in. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong or it the power that is to strong.

Rolly: The typical LV cyclone separator is not designed for the “Shop Vac” type of dust collection. They have to high a vacuum when plugged and will flatten any plastic can. You will need a metal one if you want to use that type of vacuum. The dust deputy (which is designed for the “Shop Vacuum”) made by Oneida requires a heavy duty plastic or metal collection can or it will flatten.

dust-deputy-350[1].jpg

Edward G.
    You stop learning the instant you start talking...
    And start again when you stop thinking how smart you are.