FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Craftex 8" Jointer

Real Name
    David

Default Craftex 8" Jointer

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at building up my shop, and I saw that BB had their 8" Craftex Jointer on for $675 in their new flyer. Has anyone had experience with this jointer? Is it well worth the money (reg. price - $1200+)? It would be my first jointer!

Thanks,
    David

The problem with their stuff is that the quality control is so poor as to be non existent. So you may get a good machine or you might get complete crap or something just plain frustrating in the middle of the two. I would personally never buy a craftex product. Take a look at the King products, they are a good step up in qaulity but not a huge leap in price - assuming that budget matters. If not, then might as well get the delta dj20.

Paul
    Last edited by OttawaP; 08-11-2006 at 06:47 AM.

David, if it is for home workshop use, I'd say you should be fine. I have a couple Craftex machines and no complaints. Some of their stuff I'd stay away from, but at that price, kind of hard to pass up.

Having said that, I went with the King jointer. True, it was a lot more money but I really like the design a lot more and I don't regret the decision.

They claim "Extra long bed". However, the bed is only 65" long and the fence is 4" high.

For comparison the King KC-203C ($950) has a 73" bed, while the KC-80FX ($1199) has a 76 1/2" bed. Both have 5" fences.

Interestingly, the Craftex CT088 8" jointer is also on sale, but it's only marked down about $200. It has a 72 3/4" bed, but they don't specify the fence size.

Real Name
    David

Hmm. Alright. Looks like I'll be waiting on the 8" Jointer then. I just got their flyer in the mail, and was stunned at the price. I'll probably just save up and get the King or the Delta.

Thanks,
    David

Thumbs down

My DJ 20 weights in at 400 lbs and that BB weights in at 220. That should tell you something, Save up for the King 80 and have one for life.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Default CT058 8" jointer

I don't know if I'd dismiss the craftex CT058 8" jointer so easily. Its the standard design thats been used for years, not nearly as elaborate as the DJ 20 which uses a parallelogram design and from what I read from its owners is an awesome machine, however, the price on the net is about $1800.00.

If your near a BB store, you should have a look at it.

The BB add on their web page appears to be deceiving, they show the CT058 with a pedestal mounted switch but when you go to the description its not there...

The weight of the craftex is 220 KG about 480 pounds compared to the DJ20 of 400 pounds.