FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: round bench dogs

Default round bench dogs

Anyone here make their own round bench dogs? What kind of system did you use to keep the dogs in place. I've found plenty of examples of home made square dogs, but I'm not having much luck with round. I like the veritas ones, but if I can make some of my own it'll make buying a hold down a little easier to swallow... ;)
    Cheers,
    SPCHT

I picked up a great tip for my round bench dogs.
    I put those rubber chair tip protectors on the end of the dogs/dowels I use.
    Work great.

Interesting. Do you rely on the chair protector to keep your dog from falling through the bench as well?
    Cheers,
    SPCHT

I use a 3/4" maple dowel with a 5/8" o-ring to prevent it from falling in the hole.....very effictive and cheap

Quote Originally Posted by pickeringwoodworker
    very effictive and cheap
    You're signing my song...
    Cheers,
    SPCHT

Yep! Yep! Yep! Says my msg is too short, hence the yeps ;)

Quote Originally Posted by matt
    Interesting. Do you rely on the chair protector to keep your dog from falling through the bench as well?

I prefer the square top /round peg Dogs , Even though round one have been A-round for a long time (sorry for the pun) I have some steel ones and from time to time I need additional (wide pieces) You could get a square of wood and drill a 3/4" hole in the piece and glue a peg to form a square Dog with round peg.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

banjo Guest

Bill beat me to it, but that's how I've made them for years. Piece of dowel with a square piece of wood at the top. You can use different thicknesses of wood depending on what the dog is for, holding things or planing for example.

Banjo

Like these (a little visual relief, kind of like am interlude):

Frank
    SPCHT

Frank! those are huge! I guess the added bonus is you feel safer in the shop with all those blunt force objects around to defend yourself with. ;)
    Cheers,
    SPCHT

Great for squishing spiders...
    Frank
    SPCHT

those look good Frank
    right now i'm just using 3/4 inch hardwood dowel in a 3/4 inch hole, not drilled all the way thru my new 1 3/4 inch maple top
    they fit a bit snug at first, but as you beat em to work em loose they get easier
    I know I need somthing better but for now I don't want to spend till i figure out what I really want/need
    just using a quick grip clamp as a hold down as well

I'm sure a salvage yard could yield some round bar stock in mild steel for the dog's. As for how to old them up just copy someone's idea of attaching a piece of spring steel. Even large old bolts might work quite well. I rarely clamp anything to bench to plane it much prefer to use wooden stop. My technique improved alot the minute I stopped clamping down everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Burlington
    I rarely clamp anything to bench to plane it much prefer to use wooden stop. My technique improved alot the minute I stopped clamping down everything.
    AMEN. I stopped wanting to put real vises on my bench a while ago. Even for jointing I use a piece of wood with a V-cut and a wedge to hold boards almost exclusively, except for really wide boards.
    I'm curious Jim, why metal benchdogs? Don't they just risk dinging a workpiece or a tool?
    Frank
    SPCHT

Default Bullet catches

I use 3/4 maple dowels. A couple I have cut a L shaped notch out of the top inch or so. This is lets me have a flat surface.

I also bought some small bullet catches at LV. They were only $2.50 for 10 of them.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...t=3,51887&ap=1

I just drilled a 1/4" hole in the side of the dowel, and then used a C Clamp to press the bullet catch into the dog. The catches work really well for keeping the dog at a specific height.

Scott

Scott, all I can say is "Neat-O!"
    Cheers,
    SPCHT