FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Steton C400 10" Jointer/ Planer ?????+ Info

Default Steton C400 10" Jointer/ Planer ?????+ Info

I have recently aquired a Steton 10" Jointer / Planer combo machine & I am wondering if anyone has one or has used one. The one I have needs some work and a motor. Any info would help in determining if it is worth putting the $$$ into making it work.
    Thanks for any replys
    James
    I've cut it three times and its still too short!!!

Real Name
    Mark Rose

James, I will not be much help. But I think what you have can be called the Stenton #5 out of Italy. It is similar to my SCM combo machine I have. They are difficult to set up the jointer because it does not have jibs or a dovetail system like North American jointers. You have to adjust at the mounting plate use a dial indictor and long staight edge. It is easy to but out of alinement if you try and move the machine from the tables.
    The planer is not that great if it is like mine. You may find a 12 portable will out perform it. So if you have one already keep it!
    The motor on mine could not be changed to single phase because of the compact fit in the base. I ended up building a phase converter for mine and leaving in the factory motor.
    Go luck with it, I will try to help you out if I can.
    If you don't end up keeping the machine, give me a shout.
    Cheers, Mark

Mark, I'm just looking to use it as a jointer, I haven't looked at the motor set-up yet so I don't even know if it will take a standard size motor like a 3 hp Baldor. If this becomes feasable I will need to remove the tables to have them re-ground & then install & adjust them for co-planer. I'm hoping to hear from someone who is familiar with these specific units so I can find out if it is even worth my time & effort to start the re-build.

Looks like you have decided to sell..... Seams like a great machine for the price to someone that knows what they are doing with that style of machine.

It is a great machine, a real work horse. I checked the motor and it is a standard size not a proprietory design so it can easily be replaced. I would have kept it for my self except I feel that the tables need grinding & I don't have any way of getting it done.

Real Name
    Mark Rose

James, Looks like a nice old Italian machine. Is the horizontal mortiser complete? Humm..
    Cheers, Mark

Yes it's there.