FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Eternal Router Table Question

Default Eternal Router Table Question

I see that there is already a thread on router tables, so I'll try not to repeat. I've already decided on the router table, but the question is the router.

I plan to purchase a Jessem Router Table top and fence, I'll build a base for it. The question really boils down to the router power.

I currently have a couple of routers the largest being a Bosch 2 1/4 HP combo kit. My thought is I can pruchase the jessem router lift and pop this guy into the table; if I need to use it handhed then I can slid it out and into one of the bases. Since I own other routers I hope to limit the need to remove it from the table.

The online opinion seems to be that a table should have a 3 HP router. Of course, the purchase of "another new router" may kill my tool credability with the accountant (wife). The cost of course would kill the router lift purchase.

Anyway what bits are you guys spinning on a regular basis that I would 'need' a 3 HP for? Given a choice would you go for the 3HP or the router lift?

I would go with the Jessem. I would think the router that you have will probably do most things that you do with the exception of maybe a raised panel bit.I followed the same path as you. Made my own base. Keep an eye on the wood shows in your area and may be able to pick up a 3 HP at a good price.
    Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

I am not an expert, but I was also wondering can I really use a raised panel with my 2 1/4 HP router? I have heard from many experts (including one guy from Freud at the Edmonton wood show) that you can even use a raised panel bit. You only need to increase the number of passes (from 2 to 3 or 4). I've goe a set recently and, no kidding, it scares me to turn that big bit (with back cutter).

mreza;
    I attempted to quote you but it won't work for me.
    Freud recommends a speed no greater than 12,000 rpm's for a bit of 3.5 ". Your router speed may be set too fast. Variable speed?
    If your bit is secure in the collet, at least 75% of the length inserted, put your earmuffs on and you'll never hear the sound of the whirr. It won't scare you as much.
    Just as an aside, don't let anyone talk you into a bit with backcutters, they are way too expensive, really aren't necessary, and are too restricting. You only get to do one depth and length of back cut.
    Get a good rabbeting set (Freud, Dimar etc.) and do your own back cuts to your specs.
    Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON
    It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

Mack.. Excellent point on the speed, forgot about that. Run into the opposite problem when trying to use smaller router bits on my shaper. They need to turn at Max speed, somewhere around 20,000 rpm and the shaper is about 9800 rpm. Have a good one.
    Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Emery Village in Toronto (401 and Weston)

Default Router size

I used a 2 HP router on my (Jointech) table for 5 years and never had a problem.
    If you have very hard tough (foreign) hardwood and/or large beastly bits .... just make finer cuts and more of them.

I have now had a 3HP for several years and I cannot say that I really notice a difference.

Your 2 and 1/4 will be just fine.

regards
    Jul;ain

I have the same router in my table. Last week I raised some small panels last week with a 2" diameter cutter with no problems. For larger panels I have used the vertical style of bits which work well with lower powered routers. Unless you plan on raising a whole kitchen worth of panels, your Bosch has plenty of power. When you have to do the whole kitchen, use that as an excuse for a bigger machine.

Hope that helps,

Michael

Default Re: Eternal Router Table Question

Chances are yu have a table saw, so why not buy a cast iron router table that attaches to your table saw. No SAG....Greater unility from the TS , no lost real estate from a seperate router table, And your TS fences ' dust collection, and jigs can serve dubble duty.

General International sells one, methinks in and around the 100-150 range.

To me this is the way I'd wished I'd gone, and maybe will yet.

The "table" is the principle item in a router table, the rest of the results depend on that flatness and if it cannot stay flat, it's money down the drain.Cast iron stays flatter than any MDF I've ever encountered....

Eric in Cowtown

Real Name
    Grant Wilkinson

You should also keep in mind that none of the manufacturers give you a true statement of the HP on their 110V routers. None of them are any where near 2 or 3 hp in actual use.
    Grant Wilkinson
    Ottawa ON

Why not buy the Triton 2.25HP router, on sale nowt BB for $239.
    Above the table bit changing, above the table height changing.
    And, depending on the lift, might be cheaper. Plus you've got an extra router.
    I have that router and I'm quite happy with it.

Tim

Just noticed that this thread started in Oct. 2006. So forget what I said!
    Last edited by big tim; 06-14-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: out of date

Hopefully the original poster solved his problem... as this thread it was posted four years ago!