FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: recycled wood

Default recycled wood

I recently replaced an old love seat that had seen better days. I needed two hefty guys to get it out of the lower level of the house and investigated to see why it was so heavy. To my delight I discovered that the frame was solid oak. After several days of removing staples and such I had a box full of irregular shaped pieces of beautiful oak "scraps".

When the need arose to have a place to store wine bottles and glasses at the cottage I put two and two together. The sides and shelves are 3/4 inch oak plywood and the top and drawer front are Tamarack but all the facings, the base, feet and front uprights are recycled love seat.

My Scottish ancestors would be proud.

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

I Love what you've done with your Love seat. But now that you have such a Lovely Wine stand, don't you need that Loveseat to sit and enjoy the fruits of your endeavors?

Thanks for the posting,
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Default Nice

That's a really nice cabinet. Don't you love it when you find an unexpected gem like that.

Very nice, and the fact it was made from reclaimed wood - all the better!

Speaking of recycled wood, A friend just today gave me the top off of anold table she picked up at auction. She wants the turned pedestal to make a flower stand. (Back to the find) The top is solid Oak or Ash (haven't determined yet) 42" Square and 1 1/4" thick. What a Slab! I'll be able to plane it down to the thickness I want and use it to make the complete project (If I can figure out what I want to make.)

Sorry to trample on your posting but the Recovery of Free Wood is a Fantastic find.

I still like your Loveseat Conversion project.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Very nice. Once you empty all the bottles who cares if you have a loveseat.
    Robin

7. Default

Looks good Kevin. From the looks of your bottles (the ones with the cork showing) your other hobby is winemaking as is mine. It's great when two hobbies can produce something so nice.

Nice Job Kevin. I like your idea, as far as the design goes it works, however... your choice on the legs has me scratching my head. Seems to me that the shape of the front legs clash with the cabinet or something., could be the angle of the photo? I do like the Lambs Tongue feature, adds a nice dimension to the face. Is that contrasting line that goes around the top frame grout? or a contrasting wood inlay? Nice touch.

I have been working on something very similar on and off for the past year. Mine will look a little different in the end and be a bit taller, but the basic concept is the same. Just wish I could make more shop time.

Regards,
    Last edited by Woody in the Hat; 01-24-2007 at 12:02 AM.
    Wendall / Woody in the Hat

View my gallery hall... http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/f...p?do=hall&u=85

Maintenance-free means when it breaks, it can't be fixed.

Blog Entries

Smile

Nice work Kevin

It's great to see more recyclers out there.

Thanks guys for all the comments. Sorry for not getting back sooner but I am travelling in the Great White North (Iqaluit) at the moment and miles away from my shop.

The border around the top is left over walnut, as is the thin line in the edge of the top.
    The top tile just sits there and is not attached. In that way it can be replaced if the need arises.

Kevin