FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Cutting a 10 pin bowling ball in half

Default Cutting a 10 pin bowling ball in half

My wife wants half a bowling ball to put on the floor and rock back and forth (while sitting) to strengthen her ankles. Here is how I plan to do it. First I picked up a 10 pin ball for $3.00 at Value Village so if I ruin it it is no great loss.
    Next I will put it on a table so it won't roll and using a square mark the circumference on it with a sharpie pen. Glue a dowel in the finger hole so I can clamp it from rolling. Then using my sawzall go around the circumference and cut it. The left over half I will use for turning. It sounds like a plan - does anybody have any better ideas?

Thanks
    Robin

Hi Robin
    When I broke my ankle a cuople of years ago my physiotherapist had me on a small platform about 20" in diameter. Underneath were two pieces in an X so that you could move any way you wanted. The pieces underneath were curved. The whole thing was made up from 3/4 plywood. It was no more than about 3 inches high/ so that you did not twist your ankle if you went over too far.

If you can swing it ... lathe & parting tool.

Hmmmm
    ball diameter 8 5/8", midi lathe swing 5", 3/4" dowel glued in finger hole held by collet chuck, live centre cone in tailstock - possible - be ready to jump.
    K.C. - possible, her physiotherapist has half a bowling ball but the X is a possibility.
    Robin

How about using a bandsaw?

It won't fit in my bandsaw, only 6" throat.
    Robin

Hi Robin, could you turn one out of wood rather that trying to cut a bowling ball?

Take care
    Sam

have her ask the phiso how the hell she is to get a half a bowling ball????? I can see this working but I Also see much easier ways to get a rocking platform

Good question Sam. My wife first asked for half the ball when we were at Value Village so I bought one. I did think of turning one after but now that I have the ball the challenge is there. It should be OK with the sawzall, I have a long blade for it. Once I have it cut I can slice my half on the bandsaw. The colour is about 1" deep so that will give me a lot for turning (miniatures). I also have some nice dry old pine that will turn nice and would be easier on my floor.
    Robin

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin in Niagara View Post
    Hmmmm
    ball diameter 8 5/8", midi lathe swing 5", 3/4" dowel glued in finger hole held by collet chuck, live centre cone in tailstock - possible - be ready to jump.
    K.C. - possible, her physiotherapist has half a bowling ball but the X is a possibility.
    Robin
    After you have the ball chucked in the lathe, glue a block of wood to the other side of the ball and seat your tail center on it. You could even turn a dowel on the block and grip it with a chuck in the tailstock.
    Turn a shallow groove in the center of the ball then, with the lathe spinning at slow speed, use a hand saw to cut through the ball. Let the spinning ball do the work and move the saw slowly back and forth to clear the dust from the teeth. You can do this with the sawsall blade if you stand on the other side of the lathe. I have parted wood this way with a back saw. It works quite well. I think it would be easier than using the sawsall. If you're worried about loosing the ball, leave a small piece in the center then finish the cut by hand.
    FWIW
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

What ever happened to free hand cutting? shove a block of wood into the finger hole, place it in a vise and grab yourself a hand saw and a couple of red bulls and go for it. Either that or get your buddy the Habs fan to hold it for you and then you take the chain saw to it...lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Building a Bar?
    Checkout the Woodworkers gallery http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/f...?do=view&g=162

Thanks for all your suggestions. I never thought about making one out of wood. I must not be a "truepath woodworker". Maybe if this doesn't work out I will make one out of pine. I have to get my big lathe up and running soon.
    I will cut the ball on my midi lathe and will post the results.
    Thanks
    Robin