FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever had Someone Else Take Credit For Your Work???

Angry Ever had Someone Else Take Credit For Your Work???

Has anyone ever had someone else take credit for a project that you did for them? Here is my story, about six months ago I was approached by an acquaintance and asked if I would make a small computer cabinet for his wife as a Christmas present . I did the design work, built it and even carved in some flowers as nice accents. I was paid $400 which I thought was low but hey it was Christmas and besides I enjoyed doing it. I was proud of my work. Fast forward to this past weekend. I was attending an anniversary party at the acquaintances' house when a mutual friend suggested that I should get "Joe" to show me the cabinet that he made for his wife thinking I would appreciate the work of a "fellow" woodworker. We all went into the den and lo and behold there is the cabinet I made. Well his wife started bragging about how much work her dear old hubby had put into it and how proud she was of him. I didn't know what to do, I wanted to explode. That bastard is ripping me off. Upon closer inspection I noticed he had removed my signature from the back, I had burned it in and his was in its place. I wanted to confront him at the party but not wanting to make a scene I left with no satisfaction. I have tried calling him and have even gone back over there to confront him but he won't face me. I don't know what to do, this bastard is taking credit for my hard work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't stop thinking about it. I want to expose this jerk for the phoney that he is.

2. Default

Hi Shawn,

Tough one, but take the high road. You know it's your's but he's living a lie....somewhere in his soul he has to live with that. I know if I was 25 or something I might be angrier and want to take him on...but I think just the fact he know's you caught him is enough.....I'd move on and have little to do with him.

He has won a shallow reward with his disception......he's done these types of things before I'll bet...just a matter of time before he trips up.

Shawn...You have talent and skill.....don't look back
    Take care,
    Jim

My Passion
    www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca

SPCHT

Default Friends

That is a good one. I have done a lot of work for friends but that is the best one yet. Now I charge the going rate for everyone and as long as I get paid they can say anything they want. I wouldn't bother confronting the guy but I would inform your mutual friends and let them see the type of guy he is or you could suck it up and learn from this episode. Thanks for posting , I needed a laugh.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

"Well his wife started bragging about how much work her dear old hubby had put into it and how proud she was of him."

Hmmm..... What was he up to and where was he that his wife thinks that?

Cheers

Shawn:

I know how you feel. It happened to me the odd time where I worked (Boss took the credits) Upsetting at the time but was able to put an end to it by casually mentioning to him that I keep ALL OF MY WORKSHEETS. Lo & behold, I suddenly started getting credit where credit was due.

Lee
    Lee

Hmmm $400 is kind of low, maybe you should send hime the rest of the bill.

Paul

I realize that this response won't be the most popular but.....

Did you explicitly tell him that a condition on the sale is that he give you credit for the work?

I do understand your objections.
    That said it sounds like some guy who buys dinner, takes it home, and tells his wife he cooked it. I wouldn't do it (I don't exactly want to lie to my wife) but a lot of others would find that a "minor white lie" and more importantly they wouldn't be considering that the maker of the piece would be cheesed.

Anyway, I don't think he should have done what he did but I also don't think it should bother you that much. After all he did pay for it and it is his to do with what he pleases.

Of course now that you know he will take credit for your work I would suggest the price of future work should be at least FULL PRICE + 20% (the extra 20 is the price he pays to take credit).

Default credit were credit is due.

This used to happen to me at work also.The thing is,if your boss takes credit for something you did,there is not much you can do about it.If it is a coworker,you can always try and correct the info.
    But for work that you got paid for and the fact that he removed a label clearly indicating that it was your work,i have no pity.
    I would tell everyone i could and i would confront him at the first opportunity.

Maybe i am just geting old and crangy about things like this but i no longer have any patience for stuff like this.....

Phil in Buckingham

I've had that sort of thing happen at a former company I worked for ...

You missed your opportunity at the party ... when they were all there looking at it, I would have asked the fellow to explain "how" and what tools he used to make it ... I'm sure he would have stumbled and fumbled the question ...

Then I would have said to his wife that she may want to find out where he was when he was making this so called cabinet ... and clearly state that he hired me to make it ... then mail her a copy of the receipt ... I'm sure he would be in the dog house for a while.

Real Name
    J.P.

All I can say is if it had been me, I would have burst into uncontrollable laughter at hearing how dear hubby did all that work and I would have made a liar out of him right there on the spot. I can tell ya, Id be real cheesed off at the guy.
    That said...
    I think it's a bit late to cry over spilled milk, so to speak.
    The way I see it, since he's avoiding you, you have two choices.
    1) Tell his wife...at least she'll know and man will he be in for it.
    Or
    2) Forget it.

Depends on how vengeful you are.

If you choose #1, let us know so we can keep an eye on the local news.:mrgreen:
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

You know you made it and thats all that matters. His true colours will eventually come out. You should just let it go. In the grand scheme of things exposing him will only harm his wife. People who really know you are well aware of your capabilities. People who really know him are probably also well aware of his phoniness. Let it go because it is not worth the hassle.

That's my female advise!!!

Mike's wife, Shelley
    Last edited by Mike in London; 03-26-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Real Name
    Bob Hryhoriw

thats just too strange.

i agree with both maintenance & mikes wife.

Real Name
    Bill

I actually find the "wife component" more fascinating. Did she know he didn't make it but wanted to brag about her husband or does she honestly think he did make it. Either is plausible in this strange world but the fact you were at the party and the display of the piece seems to indicate the latter. If I were doing a stunt like that I'd make sure I drew no attention to the piece when the builder was present.

The guy is a jerk with no ethics especially when he changed your name to his on the back. The guy isn't really worth the bother but it sure would be intriguing to say to his wife something like, "Why did you tell everyone that XXXX made the cabinet when he didn't?".

billh

I think we have all got the shaft whilst they ride the elevator to the top, at work, one time or another. ... But from a "Friend" Way I see it is.... You know, He knows, He knows you know, & he knows you know he knows you know...etc. Just let it ride and fill glad you learned what a friend is not. You got paid and that relinquished any claim to fame, just as the company pays you to do a job and the results are theirs to own. (or claim)

Better luck next time in selection of "Buddies" But don't let this sour you on helping out a fiend, keep doing what you do best and expect the cream to rise and the rest goes to clabber.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

I wouldn't waste anymore time on this guy. In all likelyhood if you were to confront he really wouldn't care after all his actions have clearly established his moral and ethical values are severely lacking as are his shop skills. In a confrontation he will not play fair and you will likely end up a bad guy because he will turn everything around.

Stop festering its not worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yogi

Send his wife the pictures of your progress on the piece if you want revenge and advise that he was no where in the picture when the unit was built, he'll have some splainin to do! or Don't get mad get even, in front of his wife ask him that a friend wants him to make one and price is no object, that might get things stirring.
    Or you could take the high road and let sleeping dogs lie!

Hi Shawn,

The way I see it there are two things you can do.

Mess him up......in front of a bunch of people ask him if he can enlighten you on the joinery used and how he achieved it, then humbly ask him to show you the tools he used to do it. Oh, and ask if he gouged the signature area with a sander...or what.

Forget about it......the guys a jerk. Why waste time on him. If he did it to you, he'll do it to someone else, with any luck someone with no scruples and a vengeful streak.

My .02....go with the second one.
    Brent

SPCHT

I'm with Jim Shaver.

Let it go.

What possible benefit could there be to trying to confront the guy?

Let it go.

...art

Default Lie Down With Dogs - Wake Up With Fleas

Confronting this weenie will only frustrate you more.

If he's already avoiding you now, just imagine the dissembling and prevaricating he'll try on when you DO get ahold of him.

More to the point - you'll gain nothing by confronting him.

The moral high road might seem less satisfying but this is a good opp to learn that discrediting someone - even when they deserve it - does no-one any good.
    Diminish someone else publicly and you'll only pull yourself downward with him.

Informing his wife will only stir up problems.
    Just imagine - if he's lying to his wife about THIS, what else is he lying about?
    And why is he so insecure in his relationship with her.
    Additionally, if she knows about his decption, then she's an even bigger nobody.

Grin and bear it.
    And always keep in mind a very cynical adage - no good deed ever goes unpunished.

My 2c.
    Howard

P.S. -If you're ever present at a similar announcementand you're still upset, I think J. S. Cook had the best advice.

You had your chance to say something and you didnt. The best time to speak up would have been when when his wife was going on and on about her handyman hubby.
    This taking credit for someone else's work thing happens all the time and is simply a fact of life. Look at the bright side, you got paid, and wont have to worry about any warrenty calls.

Chris