FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Free Standing DIY Cyclone ?

Default Free Standing DIY Cyclone ?

Has anyone built, or have links to some pics of a DIY free standing cyclone of the Bill Pentz genre? I was out in the workshop measuring and dreaming again last night and I had an idea that to truely isolate the beast from the structure of the house and prevent "noise through conduction", I could build a frame to hold the entire thing and have the concrete floor as the only point of contact. I would think that this, plus hanging the ducting from nylon webbing or something similar would go a long way to keeping the peace in the house

Any ideas or pointers people might have, send 'em along - thanks !

Lewis

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Cobb View Post
    Has anyone built, or have links to some pics of a DIY free standing cyclone of the Bill Pentz genre? I was out in the workshop measuring and dreaming again last night and I had an idea that to truely isolate the beast from the structure of the house and prevent "noise through conduction", I could build a frame to hold the entire thing and have the concrete floor as the only point of contact. I would think that this, plus hanging the ducting from nylon webbing or something similar would go a long way to keeping the peace in the house

Any ideas or pointers people might have, send 'em along - thanks !

Lewis
    Hi Lewis,

I hung mine on the wall of my shop on some welded angle iron brackets. I too was concerned with vibration being transmitted to the wall of my garage and house.

What I did was to go to the hardware store and buy the rubber disc's you use for furniture legs, to protect the floor or carpet. The rubber is dense but softer than a hockey puck. I drilled holes through them and isolated the cyclone motor housing o the brackets with them.

I ran the set with and without the rubber damping, the effect for me was dramatic...no vibration on the wall or any audio sound at all in the house..you might look at that as an option, I think I might have made some pictures of that on the CD you have.
    Take care,
    Jim

My Passion
    www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca

SPCHT

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont. View Post
    Hi Lewis,

I hung mine on the wall of my shop on some welded angle iron brackets. I too was concerned with vibration being transmitted to the wall of my garage and house.

What I did was to go to the hardware store and buy the rubber disc's you use for furniture legs, to protect the floor or carpet. The rubber is dense but softer than a hockey puck. I drilled holes through them and isolated the cyclone motor housing o the brackets with them.

I ran the set with and without the rubber damping, the effect for me was dramatic...no vibration on the wall or any audio sound at all in the house..you might look at that as an option, I think I might have made some pictures of that on the CD you have.
    Hey Jim - I still have not sent you my questions I was making a little list of. Here I thought you were busy and would not be able to answer them yet here you are casually surfing the woodworking forum -:mrgreen:

I thought about those, as well as rubber straps to hang the whole assy from the ceiling, but the thought of circumventing the whole thing and making the structure free standing was appealing to me (at 12:30 last night anyway....).

Will look at that disk again - I studied every pic on it a few evenings ago, but was not looking at the mounting specifically at the time.

While I have you cornered here - when you bought your spiral fittings, were they fabricated on-site or were they made somewhere else and the fellow you got them from just brought them in? I have found a fellow locally that can get the spiral pipe for me - but he makes the fittings, and I would rather go with the smooth welded ones rather than "piecewise sections" if you know what I mean.

Cheers,
    Lewis

I mounted mine with two bracket on the wall and foam hockey pucks to dampen vibration and sound....it works like a charm. I used 6" spiral pipe with welded 45s and wyes. The wyes I had to buy from Welbeck as they were the cheapest I could find locally...but still pricey. I assume Welbeck gets them from Oneida.