FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Butterfly Leaf Explained

Default Butterfly Leaf Explained

In my last post, several people wondered what a butterfly leaf is. Now that I've got it finished, here are the photos. #1 shows the table top in two parts that slide on the table aprons. Unlike typical expansion tables where the legs move, these ones are fixed. #2 shows the two leaves apart, revealing the butterfly leaf. Notice that the top is mounted on recessed drawer glides. The leaf is in two parts and folds in half via concealled SOSS hinges. #3 shows the leaf opening up. As teh top half comes up it pushed down on the bottom, kicking the bottom half up and over the table apron. #4 shows the leaf lying flat. Once closed, there is an H shaped seam. #5 shows a cat's view showing ramp blocks to lift the leaf edge over the apron and teh pivot mounts for the leaf its self. Hope that explaination works well.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Great explaination shots, was it a purchased design/kit/outfit or your home built/designed appratus? My M-I-L has something similar in an Antique Table, I really haven't examined it as it is generally closed with food on the table or opened with a lot of food on the table when I am there.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

i had a table with a leaf like that at one time. Very handy set up. I am interested if you that was a kit or a home designed set up?

Adam:

Now that is nifty neat. The workmanship is top notch. Thank you for showing us.

Lee
    Lee

Very nice looking. One question: I couldn't see in the pictures, but there has to be a locking mechanism for the leafs (otherwise by pushing in the middle, right on the hinge, it will go down again), is it under the front half of the leaf?

Default more details

The pivots and ramps are shop made. The drawer glides are purchased. There isn't a lock on the leafs: there will be alignment pins shortly which should be enough.

I have a drop-leaf gate-leg with butterfly leaf. Ain't that a mouthful. Folded up it's 36x21. Opened it's 36x62. The butterfly is similar to yours, except there's no ramp and the leafs have alignment pins.

Too cool. That sure beats the pants off trying to dig leaves out from under a bed and fit them in :lol: Very nice table.

Thanks very much for posting this.

Kerry

Thanks Adam.

That's a great explaination.

10. Default

Hi Adam,
    Flawless work....beautifully explained...Thank You, I have files this one away for a future project...Thank you for sharing!
    Take care,
    Jim

My Passion
    www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca

SPCHT

Simply outstanding!! The mating of the parts looks perfect.

Default Hinge?

Absolutely fantastic! But why can't I see any kind of a hinge on the butterfly leaf? I see nothing from either the top or bottom. So what kind of hinge is it? I am seriously impressed.

Default hinges

Hi Don,

The hinges are SOSS concealed hinges. They are similar to the barrel hinges discussed recently only bigger. They get mortised into the ends so you can only see them when the leaf is folded. I got them through Woodcraft.

Adam

Default Adam - You Sure Nailed It

Hi Adam,

Thank you for sharing these photos and this tutorial.

The table itself is gorgeous but adding the engineering feat of the leafs - well, that's just extraordinary.

Thank you.

Howard Rosenberg