FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Lathe Gloat and Rant all in one...

Default Lathe Gloat and Rant all in one...

I got a call from the shipping company. My DVRXP is at the shipping depot. Yay! I call me buddy that runs to Edmonton and back everyday. He's got no room. He can't go tomorrow. I call the shipping company. I can go to the depot until 10PM. I come home to get gear up to go and get it...starts to rain. I don't have a cap on my truck. It's REALLY raining. I can't get it tonight. I can't go tomorrow. The depot is close Saturday and Sunday. My buddy is going to get it Monday. ARRGGGHHHH!!!!

Real Name
    J.P.

The waiting is the hardest part.
    Tom Petty
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

I am not sure how far the drive is for you but what about renting a van? HD rents out vans. Just a thought

Plastic Blue Tarp and cheap Bungie cords will get you through, some terry towels when it arrives home. Iffin' you can't wait.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

I'm prone to the knucklehead mistake born of impatience. I've waited three years for a DVR...I'll wait until Monday. Plus, the window to my computer room is leaking in this rainstorm. I have something else to keep my mind off my new toy!

Tom. I guess you were not aware of forum rules.....
    No pic= no gloat!
    No pic= it does not exist!!!!

Have fun this weekend and be sure to post pics!!!

Chris, did your 1624 come in yet?

Default Update

My DVRXP is home!

Real Name
    Brian

Tom,
    buddy, pal, friend with more & better tools than me who lives within a short drive of me.
    Just wondering if you've any interest in the Edmonton Turners Guild.
    This Thursday night at 7 PM at NAIT.
    It's a great bunch of guys & gals.
    Regardless, enjoy the new lathe.
    Salamat, Ingat

Brian in Calgary

Hey Brian,

I hope to come out to a meeting some time. It's tough for me to get out of town midweek though.

Now thats a gloat!!!!

One thing I supprised about..... The quality of the castings are amazing. The Tailstock and banjo look like they belong to a lathe twice the size. It is a very well built lathe.

Chris

I'm very pleased at how easy the banjo and tailstock slide, yet how securely they lock. I might have to go home at lunch and turn something!

Real Name
    J.P.

That is a sweet lookin lathe but much, much, much too clean.

Whata ya mean go home at lunch. Are you telling me you haven't even tried it out yet? That's a sin. After it's set up, you're allowed a 1 hour grace period but after that it should have shavings all over it.:p

Nice gloat.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

I hear ya, J.P. There is a reason why I didn't try it. When I got it all setup I couldn't find the headstock retaining rod, so my headstock wasn't locked in place. I found it this morning in the box in the back of my truck. Also, the Titan chuck that I got with it was covered with oil and I just couldn't bring myself to find the motivation to clean it off and install the jaws after wearing myselt out getting this nutbuster into the basement by myself. To add a third whiny little reason, I couldn't get my SN2 chuck off the Craftex Lathe. I huffed and puffed and couldn't do it. I even broke the wrench that came with the lathe trying. So, when I came home at lunch today, I was able to get the chuck off the insert, then get the insert off the spindle.

Making a long story short, I chucked up a piece of Ash that I had laying about and turned it some. It's a big enough piece to try out my woodcut bowlsaver on a quick little coring. I could never use it before because I didn't have confidence that the tailstock was going to stay put on my old lathe. It probably would have, but I just didn't want to chance it.

Sooooo....

It's still taking shape as I had to get back to work and couldn't go all dusty. I'll refine it tonight. I originally chucked it with a woodworm screw, then turned a quick profile and put a tenon on the bottom. I rechucked it on the bottom tenon and did some measurements for coring. At this point, I was REALLY late fore work and rechucked it again because the profile was bad....now I was just rushing so I could use the lathe. It was so smooth and such a pleasure that I couldn't leave. I quit when my gouge got dull....it's a pretty sweet lathe!

Tom
    Last edited by mot; 05-08-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Real Name
    J.P.

MUCH BETTER!
    Now it looks like a real lathe.
    Sweet!
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.