FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Best treatment for new cedar deck

Default Best treatment for new cedar deck

Can someone tell me the best treatment for a new cedar deck? We have been advised Sico brand 211 is VG. Anyone know anything about this subject or can offer other advice? Thanks.

I use sikkens srd and have good success with that.. I usally coat at least twice..

I like Sikkens Cetol. Best to apply before you assemble deck as with all coatings. JG

I built a cedar deck 15 years ago and let it weather naturally. I didn't bother with all the hype about sealing the cedar. Well last fall had a big bon fire, pretty expensive firewood. Sealed this deck six ways from Sunday. Would defiantly seal all the intersection before assembly. I did use PT for the structure this time. Cedar does require regular maintenance.

Greg

Default Think it depends on how much work you like to do.

We built a cedar deck about 15 years ago and it is still going strong. The only rot is the skirt-boards, which I quickly piled dirt against and planted things in, so I had it coming.
    My deck has been un-treated for most of it's life, but I like the grey weathered look. My husband prefers it looking like cedar. So originally, we treated it with Thompsons Water Seal, as recommended by someone at the paint shop. What a mess. Made the deck so slippery when wet, you could have slid right off it. Additionally, any dirt or pollen etc. just stayed on the surface. If you happened to sit on the stairs, your butt was filthy. So that wore off about the same time I read an article by Steve Maxwell (columnist in the paper) who stated that "treated or untreated, your deck life is about 15 years".

All that to say, your deck's longevity is related to how well the detailing has been done. If you tried to avoid obvious water traps and treated all cut surfaces with preservative, you stand a slightly better chance.

How you preserve it depends on if you enjoy painting, sanding, stripping, washing, painting, sanding, etc. etc. etc. That just seems like a lot of work IMHO when I could be sitting here drinking beer.
    Donna,
    Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Real Name
    J.P.

If you like the gray look...
    I was told about a product that is used by the Parks and Recs here that is supposed to be an amasing wood preservative. It turns the wood gray pretty much imediatly. It's available at Home Hardware and it comes as a powder in a small bag (a few ounces) but it's 100 bucks a bag . One bag makes 5 LTs.(or was it 5 galons?) No special equipment needed, no strong fumes and you can put your hands in this stuff without worry.
    I don't recall the name. It starts with a "V" I think. I can find out tomorrow if anyone is interested.
    A fellow at work bought a bag of it and them his wife decided she wanted the deck stained.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

I used Cabot's Australian Timber Oil for hardwood decks & furniture on my PT porch and stairs. About $50 a 4L can. I have used it on a couple of cedar rockers I have built. Good product.

hobby woodworking since 1972

I'm with Donna on this, on both counts. We built the original deck more than twenty years ago using pressure treated lumber for the framing and cedar 2x6 for the deck. For the first few years I tried using the Thompson's Water Seal with similar results to Donna's. One spring after cleaning up the deck with a pressure washer and a bit of sanding I got mad and decided to just leave it alone.

Smartest thing I ever did.

When we demo'ed the deck last year there was lots of rot in the pressure treated framing but not very much in the cedar 2x6s. We recycled most of the cedar into skids, floor and framing for a garden shed for the kids. My daughter wants me to build her some planters from the rest.

Oh yeah, we did Trex for the new deck. I'll be long gone before it will need anything done to it.

...ken...

We finished ours with Sikkens Cetol Dek Finish

Two-tone: quite a job!!!

JP (and others),

That preservative is called Lifetime Wood Treatment. You can find details here. I thought I read about it in one of Graham's Shortcuts articles, but I can't find it there. Enough powder to make one gallon is $18.99 at Home Hardware. There is also a 5 gallon size.

Default Cabots Australian Timber oil

I built a rather large deck 2 yrs ago for a client that was cedar. The deck was finished in June and I waited until October to apply the Australian Timber Oil. The delay was to avoid a problem with mill glaze on new planned wood. The next spring the finish on the deck was half gone and peeling like crazy. The same finish on the railings was fine but the floor of the deck was a mess. I sanded the deck and applied a Sansin product that has stood up great for 2 years. The product that I used is a two step product and can be applied with a roller or pad. Sansin is a Canadian company from Strathroy. ON.

Brian
    " It is nice to be important but more important to be nice"

Real Name
    J.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Burlington View Post
    JP (and others),

That preservative is called Lifetime Wood Treatment. You can find details here. I thought I read about it in one of Graham's Shortcuts articles, but I can't find it there. Enough powder to make one gallon is $18.99 at Home Hardware. There is also a 5 gallon size.
    Thanx Gary. I haven't tried the stuff myself but I have hear good things about it. Personaly Im not a big fan of the gray weathered look.
    J.P. Rap Mount Hope Ont.
    Carpe Ductum (Seize The Tape)

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. Elwood P. Dowd

Default To all who replied re Best Treatment for Cedar Deck

Thank you! Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. What a wealth of information you all are, and what a great site this is!! Gma