FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Thread: Black and White

1. Default Black and White

Something New for me.
    I have been turning two materials now for a few years that I really like, the alternate ivory from Craft Supply and the black acrylic from William Wood Write.
    I had an idea on a design and tried it out today. Taking some inspiration from pens I have seen with cabochons I combined a few Barons with black acrylic caps and solid end alternate ivory.

I used cabochons from Fire Mountain Gems, 10 mm black onyx, aquamarine and red coral.

I like the black onyx cabochon pen, I am not sure about the combinations of the other two, perhaps Trustone caps of similar colours.

Critiques are welcomed please.
    These are going with me this week to the hospital..I'll be giving them away to people who help me...
    Take care,
    Jim

My Passion
    www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca

SPCHT

2. Default

Those look wonderful Jim. I can't choose from one over the others so it doesn't matter which one you send me :p .
    Great work and I am sure the ones you are giving them to will appreciate them very much.
    W.Y.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Real Name
    just what you thought :^')

Hi Jim
    I hope your surgery experience is like my last one, as I thought I had dozed off waiting, when a nurse asked if I did like to have something to drink, my answer " I'm not allowed to drink I'm having surgery!", She says, you've had it already. :-)))
    I'm sure you'll make a few persons their day with those pens, I also have taken a few small turnings as gifts to the hospital, (I'm spending to much time in there) going for an MRI when you go for surgery, I'll think of you.
    Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by William O Young (SE BC) View Post
    Those look wonderful Jim. I can't choose from one over the others so it doesn't matter which one you send me :p .
    Great work and I am sure the ones you are giving them to will appreciate them very much.
    W.Y.
    Thanks Very Much Bill
    Take care,
    Jim

My Passion

SPCHT

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Hi Jim
    I hope your surgery experience is like my last one, as I thought I had dozed off waiting, when a nurse asked if I did like to have something to drink, my answer " I'm not allowed to drink I'm having surgery!", She says, you've had it already. :-)))
    I'm sure you'll make a few persons their day with those pens, I also have taken a few small turnings as gifts to the hospital, (I'm spending to much time in there) going for an MRI when you go for surgery, I'll think of you.
    Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo
    Hi Leo,

Thank You.....I hope you can make it out to a coffee night some time or I am able to meet you in London, it would be my pleasure..Your kind thoughts are well received today.
    Take care,
    Jim

My Passion

SPCHT

Marvelous Jim, as usual.

I tend to prefer the black cabochon as well since it matches with the black cap.

I really need to try Baron and similar kits.

Those are Great Jim! You are definitely the Pen Master aren't you! I agree with Louis - I tend to lean towards that black as well.

That is really thoughtful of you....giving a few of your caregivers a pen as a thank-you. They probably see more of their share of demanding patients whom complain and give no thanks whatsoever that your gesture of kindness will go a long way making their efforts seem worthwhile and appreciated! Way To Go.

Good luck with the surgery. It is something no one looks forward to having to endure but the end results will be worth the short term discomfort you will have to deal with. I am sure I can speak for everyone when I wish you the very best of luck and look forward to hearing how you are doing when you return home.

Take Care
    Shelley
    Last edited by Shelley; 06-04-2007 at 10:50 AM.

8. Default A Change

Hi,

Well I decided to try and make two of these pens look better, so I turned two Tru Stone caps that looked like a match to the cabochons I had used,

Critiques are welcomed please
    Take care,
    Jim

My Passion

SPCHT

I prefer the cabochon integration on the red pen, where it is slightly more recessed. Maybe it's the shape of the red pen barrel as well...

They all look pretty good Jim. I think the ones matched to the same collor cap look a little better. I made a couple pens some time back with 2 colors, but they didn't get much attention so I gave them away as prizes.
    Cheers
    Mike
    Cheers
    Mike
    http://www.penscanada.com
    Home of Flying Dutchman Blades in Canada