FREE SAMPLE ISSUE FREE NEWSLETTER DIGITAL ISSUE PREVIEW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blade Cleaning

Default Blade Cleaning

What should I be using to clean my saw blades? And how often should this be preformed?

In addition, does anyone know of a good place to get blades sharpened on the west side of Toronto (Mississauga area)?

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil; do a search on blade cleaning, it's been discussed here more times than I care to mention.

Here's an answer I posted some time ago.
    Most guys I see posting here are using some kind of chemical solution. I've posted this product many many times but can't seem to get any one to try it. ARM & HAMMER Washing Soda dissolved in warm water cleans the pitch off a blade in seconds. about a tsp/tbsp to a qt of warm water. It's environmentally sound, ie no phosphates, NTA (?) or bleach. You might have to scrub with a used toothbrush to get inside the gullets.
    You ask how often -- whenever your blade is dirty is the best answer I can give. You would probably need to clean more often if you are sawing softwoods rather than hardwoods because of the pitch in pine etc.

Mack C. in Brooklin (Whitby) ON
    It feels really great to sell a pen;
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

Hi Neil, some swear on the use of oven cleaner for cleaning blades while others will warn that it will loosen the carbide tips. What I use, on not only my blades but on all of my tools and/bits etc to remove pitch build up and of course dirt, is a product called Mean Green. I think I got mine at HD......but it also could have been Walmart. The last time I bought it, I got the gallon jug.....I love this stuff! For blades with a lot of pitch build up, you can soak them for 15 minutes or so in a pie plate and then remove the pitch with a toothbrush. It they aren't too bad, you can generally get away with just spraying them and wiping them down. I clean them when they look dirty.......no set time schedule. A lot depends on the material you are using. I use a great deal of fir and pine so pitch is an issue. Sorry.......I am a little too far west of Toronto to be of any help to you with the sharpening services.
    Oh yeah.......minus the dirt, this is what the bottle looks like.

Shelley
    Attached Images Attached Images

I try to keep my blades pretty clean....not after each use, but frequently...about the time I notice pitch buildup.

I've had good success with several methods....most any home degreaser spray works well - 409, Greased Lightning, Simple Green, LA's Totally awesome. Have also had good luck with citrus cleaners like Goo Gone, and have had good success with Boeshield blade n bit cleaner, Easy Off, and even Dawn dishwashing detergent with warm water. Since the oven cleaner seems the messiest and has raised some controversy about it's abrasiveness, I don't bother with it anymore...too many good alternatives.

I use a cover from a 5 gallon pail as a tray, spray the blade, and hit it lightly with a brass brush or toothbrush....done in ~ 3 minutes.

Hi Neil: I took Mack's recommendation and started using the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Totally awesome!! I clean up the blades with an old toothbrush, and save the solution. You can clean blades up to two or three times before you need to renew.
    Brian

[quote=Brian52;129737]Hi Neil: I took Mack's recommendation and started using the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Totally awesome!! I clean up the blades with an old toothbrush, and
    save the solution. You can clean blades up to two or three times before you need to renew.
    Hi Brian; that's one on me, never thought of saving it!

Hi Neil,

I use Lee Valley blade cleaner. Keep it in a Tupperware container and it's good for quite a few goes. I usually clean my blades after every project and sometimes after milling/before doing joinery if I see the blade has an exceptional amount of resin on it.
    Brent

SPCHT

Mack made me a believer months ago. Cheapest and best way for sure, a good combo.

Paul

Brent.....does your wife know you have it in a (as in one of her) Tupperware containers??!!! Geez man - I just had a Tupperware Party - first one in over 15 years and believe me although it is a great product and it will last you a lifetime they do not give that stuff away!

Wow.......our fearless leader really is.....fearless! :mrgreen:

On a serious note - you are probably correct with your maintenance of your blades. It is true that more often than not, blades are not necessarily dull but dirty. I really should get into that habit also. I generally do a fairly major cleaning of the shop after each projects completion - taking the air to the nooks and crannies - washing assembly tables and counters and more often than not - polish up the surfaces of my stationary tools but I think I am too lax when it comes to cleaning my blades. Hopefully I will get into the habit of proper maintenance now. But.......whatever my cleaner of choice - you won't catch me using Tupperware! :mrgreen:

I think I will try your Arm & Hammer Washing Soda Mack......sounds like a good alternative to other cleaners.

Shelley

[QUOTE=Shelley;129751]Brent.....does your wife know you have it in a (as in one of her) Tupperware containers??!!! Geez man - I just had a Tupperware Party - first one in over 15 years and believe me although it is a great product and it will last you a lifetime they do not give that stuff away!

Only a gender perfect Shemale would ever make a statement in public endorsing Tupperware. Not a man jack one that I know can stand the product.
    Bill "Hickory" Simpson

Hi Shelley,

Since she doesn't live here anymore, Tupperware has become a great shop accessory.
    Last edited by Brent in Montreal; 06-21-2007 at 05:28 PM.
    Brent

SPCHT

Default blade cleaning

Hey guys !! that arm/hammer cleaner sounds good . another good idea is to use Bostik drycote in the blue spray can . I dry the blade and spin it slowly on a nail in the vise while spraying the teeth. just a little bit is enough. it stays clean longer. John

Blog Entries

Hey Mack, is the Arm and Hammer Washing Soda essentially baking soda in a solution you think. I'm wondering if I could just make my own wash by mixing baking soda and water and letting the blade soak. I bought a bulkish amount of baking soda umpteen years ago and have little use for it.

Kevin
    Kevin

[quote=Lost in the Woods;129764]Hey Mack,
    is the Arm and Hammer Washing Soda essentially baking soda in a solution
    Washing Soda and Baking Soda are not chemically identical. It seems to me if you search the cleaning threads someone chemically referenced the difference. I didn't retain that info since I didn't care. I just know to clean my blades with washing soda, and add a pinch of baking soda to my cakes.:lol:

For easy pouring of reusable cleaners, get a tinfoil pie plate of appropriate size & simply pinch a pour spout into the rim.

Lee
    Lee

North of the Checkerboard (Bruce Peninsula, Ont.)

I have to agree with Mack, washing soda is great and inexpensive.

17. Default

[quote=Bill Simpson;129753Only a gender perfect Shemale would ever make a statement in public endorsing Tupperware. Not a man jack one that I know can stand the product.[/quote]

Hey Bill,

What's a Shemale?

I use the method Mack described....works very well.
    Take care,
    Jim

My Passion
    www.pensforcanadianpeacekeepers.ca

SPCHT

18. Default

I've used oven cleaner in the past am now using Boeshield Blade & Bit cleaner. I've got nearly a full box of Arm & Hammer that I got for cleaning up some old planes with eletrolysis. Will have to give it a try for cleaning blades.

Default Sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What should I be using to clean my saw blades? And how often should this be preformed?

In addition, does anyone know of a good place to get blades sharpened on the west side of Toronto (Mississauga area)?

Thanks

Neil
    Hi Neil, I used to get my blades sharpened at TJV on Kennedy Rd, just above Courtneypark, usually took a week did a great job
    Regards
    Paul

Default Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

Canít seem to find Arm & Hammer Washing Soda in my local Walmart or Loblaws. Does anyone know where I could purchase a box?